HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfantom
Got my Funjet yesterday, was impressed with the ease the airframe went together.

Had it together within half hour.
Hope it doesn't fall apart as quick as it went together It is a great plane. Looks like I will have to get a 2W20 as well. I have been quite happy with my 3W pulling 585 watts static.
Good luck.
Knut
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
Although I'm sure it's been said many times, I'm amased at the durability of this plane. I was flying for some...cough...non-rc...friends. I usually fly along, and they don't "get" my hobby so I was trying to make it look cool...by going fast and doing stunts. Since I usually don't have a crowd, I was nervous and shaking a bit, which didnt help matters any. Anyway, I managed to hit the ground at probably 40 MPH. It was pretty level and smacked the ground belly first. The bullet tips ripped off the wing tips, and one wing was very slightly bent. Straightened it out, put the busted foam in my pocket so i could glue it on later, and threw her back up. It flew as good as it ever did and I got in some 80 MPH low passes and lots of spectacular rolls
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jul 15, 2008, 09:18 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Put one of my Strykers in the same way.. Brought a buddy to the feild, trying to get him to over to the darkside. Nervous and inverted, I pulled UP... Oops.

"Yeah, this is real cool, Evvy..."

He's not been back.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Jul 15, 2008, 09:23 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
i was shocked how well a stryker took a beating... then i started flying EPP.... an EPP wing is like playing in god mode
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:07 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
According to my Tx, I now have over 4 hours of flying time on my Funjet.. and the rest of the time spent in the trunk of my Mini (over a year now). Amazingly she still looks pretty nice, and flies as good as ever. I bought a second Funjet 8 months ago as a backup and I doubt I'll ever build it.

M
Maybz is offline Find More Posts by Maybz
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:08 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
i was shocked how well a stryker took a beating... then i started flying EPP.... an EPP wing is like playing in god mode
FYI, Stryker is made of EPP.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:32 AM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Vector Thrust Funjet

Hey Guys..
I picked up a second Funjet and took it in a different direction.
Vector thrust !
Capable of some pretty wild "non-traditional" stuff now..
Take a look at this thread if your interested

Luke
LKC is offline Find More Posts by LKC
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:14 AM
Joined Mar 2007
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU
baykah,

I have measured numbers from 2 props on MEGA 16/25/3 1700KV on 5S-3300.

It can handle APC Pylon 6.5" props for 1100W no problem. I need to check on the pitch.

Motor handles 60A easily. I don't want to post how much more.

Several people that I know run that MEGA motor on 6S/60A.

If you want my data on 5S, let me know. Amp, Watt, data.

For max power on 5S I would consider 5S-2500 25C minimum.

Gryphon
I have the HET rc 3W-25 anyway, but 6*6 on 5S is really fine IMO, my batteries 2300mah are holding very well even when we have a really hot day (throttle management needed anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker
How are you guys balancing this plane with 5 and 6s? Are the packs under the turtle hatch? Still wishing I had made mine removeable.
It's easy, my motor weight 110gr, my 5S 2300 is exactly at the start of the canoply when balanced
baykah is offline Find More Posts by baykah
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:45 PM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybz
The Stryker is made of Z-foam which is a cross between epp and styrofoam, not as rubbery as epp and not as stiff as styrofoam but not able to use regular Ca glue like epp or Multiplex's Elapor foam.
Nothing against the Stryker, I love the one I have but it isn't Epp and doesn't glue like it.
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:01 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybz
EPP is flexible

the stryker is not made of EPP, it is made of Zfoam, even though it is flexible, it is still not that flexible

also, EPP needs foam-safe adhesives, the stryker doesn't need foam safe adhesive

Zfoam is different, it's like a flexible, lightweight plastic
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:03 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Used CA on Stryker, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piledriver
The Stryker ...not able to use regular Ca glue like epp or Multiplex's Elapor foam.
Nothing against the Stryker, I love the one I have but it isn't Epp and doesn't glue like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066
EPP is flexible
...EPP needs foam-safe adhesives, the stryker doesn't need foam safe adhesive...Zfoam is different, it's like a flexible, lightweight plastic
My experience is that you can use regular CA on EPP (my scratch built wings. mini speed wings, UFO wild wings, Unicorn wings (two), my Push E-Cat, and molded EPP on Sport Flyers Wild Wing), on Multiplex Elapor foam (my Twinjet, my microjet), and on Stryker Z-foam (two strykers.). Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. Not valid in...
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:39 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piledriver
The Stryker is made of Z-foam which is a cross between epp and styrofoam, not as rubbery as epp and not as stiff as styrofoam but not able to use regular Ca glue like epp or Multiplex's Elapor foam.
I think if you do a little research you will find that Z-Foam and Elapor are very similar. They are blends of EPP and EPS foams but use slightly different percentages of each type foam - I think so that the makers of Z-Foam don't run into any legal issues since Elapor has been around a long time in Europe.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:07 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
My FJ disintegrated in flight today. There must have been a weak joint in the wing because one of the wings came off almost right at the seam. It was kind of funny to see it screaming by at WOT then all of a sudden the canopy flew off and the wing tore off, then the battery flew out and kept going.

There isn't anything that some glue won't fix so I'll be back in the air before tomorrow.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:52 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker
Looks fast!

The guy giggling in the background with every pass cracked me up!

And that's the biggest hail I've ever seen!!!

What are those big white things?

Heck I thought they were for some super technical pylon racing...lol
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:07 PM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066
EPP is flexible

the stryker is not made of EPP, it is made of Zfoam, even though it is flexible, it is still not that flexible

also, EPP needs foam-safe adhesives, the stryker doesn't need foam safe adhesive

Zfoam is different, it's like a flexible, lightweight plastic

From what I've researched, both Z-Foam and Elapor are a mix of expanded polypropylene and styrene beads, and both can be glued with regular CA. Pure EPP should also be glued with regular CA. Expanded styrene (styrofoam) requires foam-safe CA.
"Z-foam" and "Elapor" are just trade names for proprietary blends and manufacturing processes.
Closed Thread