HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2006, 02:04 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2006, 06:07 AM
Joined Oct 2006
17 Posts
Flew mine today!

My setup: Mega 22/30/3
Apc 12 x 5E
Jeti 40 opto
Flightpower 3s 2500mah
Ah: 27 max

Føew great. But not too much power. The motor is also quite heavy.

Should I go for an axi outrunner og try a bigger prop?
filtvet is offline Find More Posts by filtvet
Old Dec 09, 2006, 09:40 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Got a maiden in today, flew so well I forgot to go right in to trimming it. After a couple of circuits, I added two clicks to the ailerons and two to the elevator, and it was flying scary nice.

Brought it around for a landing, and floated her right in, slower than a slowstick. Less than ideal conditions with gusts at 5-10 mph for a maiden, but it will definitely handle some wind. After a couple more circuits on low rates (40-60%), I remembered that I didn't have any expo dialed in so I landed again and dialed in 20% on ail and ele. I then slowed down a bit and became a bit surprised by how floaty it is for a large foamy, and nosed in from a stall at maybe 5'. Broke a prop, but otherwise fine.

This is going to be a fun plane for sure!

Thanks for all the tips.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 09, 2006, 09:57 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB
Got a maiden in today,.... ....I then slowed down a bit and became a bit surprised by how floaty it is for a large foamy, and nosed in from a stall at maybe 5'. Broke a prop, but otherwise fine.
Sounds just like me!!!! Isn't she durable? So much fun!
Mike
(the poser)
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Dec 09, 2006, 10:47 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB
I then slowed down a bit and became a bit surprised by how floaty it is for a large foamy...
With the the inherent floatiness of the plane and the downthrust so easy to adjust, mine is set to literally land itself with no power once I get it lined up. A tiny flare at the end makes for an even softer 3 point landing. That's real handy when you run out of battery power before you expect it and have to float back to the runway... Don't ask me how I know
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Last edited by TexasFlyer; Dec 09, 2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 06:10 AM
Joined Mar 2006
3 Posts
Hi,

Would Hitec HS 81 servos fit in the servo bays in the wing? If not, is there enough foam in that area to remove then fit the servos in ok?

Thanks
Angus Balfour is offline Find More Posts by Angus Balfour
Old Dec 10, 2006, 06:55 AM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
If you wanted to put 81's in the wing, I'm certain it wouldn't be a problem, worst case being, add some foam around it before you close the wing.

I used 65's all around, and you have to add a little foam for aileron and rudder. There was much discussion about servos for this plane if you search the thread. Hs 65's are more than adequate on aileron, robust, and drop right in, so the only reason to put 81's on would be that you have them laying around.
Last edited by TommyB; Dec 10, 2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:59 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,053 Posts
That's me. I picked up some HS-81s for $$ less than the HS-65s. I'm not any type of pattern or 3D guy so I don't think I'll notice any difference with my 'sports' style flying. I do have a couple of HS-65s, but they're planned for my MPX FunJet (when my LHS gets some in).
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:40 AM
Joined Mar 2006
3 Posts
Just a model shop over here in the UK has a deal on for four. The 81's are also a bit quicker and torquey than the 65's so don't know why the 65's cost more. Slightly better components/more accuracy perhaps?

Will be using the Torque outrunner from my EF Extra, FP 2150's and 13X6.5APC. Hopefully be a good combo
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:06 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,714 Posts
The HS-81s have a fairly well established reputation for false-centering and chatter, especially among the slope community. I've had better luck than some in that 4 of 6 that I've purchased continue to work fine so far, but 2 didn't want to center consistantly and had to be replaced.

I have a full-compliment of HS-65MGs in no less than 6 planes and I haven't had a single issue with any of them. As far as I'm concerned, they're the best servo in that size and I don't mind paying a little more for quality, trouble-free equipment.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Last edited by PGR; Dec 10, 2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2006
3 Posts
65's it is then
Old Dec 10, 2006, 04:59 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Balfour
Will be using the Torque outrunner from my EF Extra, FP 2150's and 13X6.5APC. Hopefully be a good combo
>> chuckle <<

I'm using the Torque 2814T/820 out of my EF Yak 54e (RIP). On 4S spinning a 12 x 6, it's perfectly overpowered.

I had to look 'cause I couldn't remember, and I'm using HS-81MGs in the fuselage, not HS-65MGs. I used them 'cause they fit without modification. I have HS-65MGs in the wings, though.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Dec 10, 2006, 06:31 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
>> chuckle <<

I'm using the Torque 2814T/820 out of my EF Yak 54e (RIP). On 4S spinning a 12 x 6, it's perfectly overpowered.

I had to look 'cause I couldn't remember, and I'm using HS-81MGs in the fuselage, not HS-65MGs. I used them 'cause they fit without modification. I have HS-65MGs in the wings, though.

Pete
Blucor Basher told me it was worth the effort to modify the aileron and rudder for the 65's, so I went ahead with it. All you gotta do is hot glue about an eighth inch hunk of something to fill in the gap on one side and the servo arms are centered. Hot glue/ca and some foam, 12 seconds and you're done. Hardly qualifies as "effort" in my book.

Flew out my second pack today. You can set this thing down so soft, I'm amazed. Looking forward to my next flight trying some loops/rolls, and hovering. 20c packs might be coming for x-mas
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:05 AM
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
Hi guys,
New to this thread, looking for the 100th page!
Unfortunately I am here with sad news. After many weeks looking at the box past week I had the time to assemble my AM, everything went ok, I put an Axi 2820/10 on it, test some props and packs, and went for a 12'2x3'75 (fun fly .46 tyipical prop) with lipo 3s or 13x4 with A123 3s (a bit less voltage), all APCs.
Ok, maiden on saturday with strong winds, but everything went OK. A real nice plane, even in those uncomfortable conditions.
Sunday came with almost no wind and nice sun, so the AM go. Two more flights on it, everything really nice. How I liked.
Then came the third fly, and after some inverted barrel action, when cruising along to relax a bit... something went wrong: the fuse front end broke and the motor went away. Fortunately the pack showed on the front balancing it somewhat and the plane landed nicely, but still looking for my beloved 2820/10...
If you look at the broken front (pics enclosed) I see this is really TOO FRAGILE. Too small thickness of material here, this is elapor, not a solid thing. I will repair, but this plane need some tape or reinforcements here.... or had I a defective one and am alone on this? (my props are well balanced and everything sounded nice and right btw).
Regards
Josep
armengol is offline Find More Posts by armengol
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:28 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,616 Posts
Armengol,

I'm running a APCe13x6,5 in the AM without any problem so far (nock, nock...) I think your problem was the prop you select, it was to much rotating mass for the AM structure to sustain.

The AM was designed for a APCe10x5, Mpx push it to 11x5 and we are abusing the frame with our big props, so as we say here " the one who walks in the rain wets him self..."

Boa sorte na recuperação
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves