San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB
Did a couple of static tests with both packs

300w and 30 A give or take.

Sound about right?

Just holding it and exercising the control surfaces, seems to be pretty nimble. with all the air being blown.
Tommy,

It all sounds good! You can reduce weight a bit by dropping back to 11x5.5 prop. The weight of the prop is something we often forget to examine. Prop weight goes up almost as the cube of the prop length. I'll have to weigh them when I get home to get the exact difference. The 11x5.5 will also give you a bit more endurance (at least for flying).

Looking forward to the report on the maiden flight. You will find that the AM is more than pretty nimble.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2006, 09:23 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Thanks Ben and Randy,

Interesting not about prop selection Randy, I'll keep that in mind. At this point I am probably wanting longer flights anyhow. I was taking some weights along the way and estimated my weight would be 32 oz., but I didn't way the prop, prop adapter, they y adapter and velcro. I could probably lose most of that 2 oz. if I wanted too.

Thanks again.

Tom
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 07, 2006, 04:23 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
Hi guys,

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just putting my first AcroMaster together. The instructions give no mention about how you actually join the wings. Are the dovetails meant to push together and snap in place? Mine seem way too tight to actually do that.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:40 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,256 Posts
I inserted the unglued spars into (1) completed wing (side), and installed it into the fuse. Then I guided the 2nd wing onto the spars and pushed both together until seated. They are a bit tight, and you want this.
Mike
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:49 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
Thanks Mike,

But can you get them apart again? I have a small car (BMW Z4) and need to disassemble to get the model in.

Mike
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:00 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,256 Posts
Yes. They do pull apart in case of a mishap as well.
I only wonder if this will degrade the holding power over time....
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:50 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Thanks for asking the question about wing joining. I was wondering that one myself.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:59 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Not sure about the over time issue on this plane but the wings on the Easy Glider join the same way.

kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Dec 08, 2006, 01:14 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,256 Posts
My Mega powered Easy star employs the same. Everyone seems to watch in amazement when IT doesn't taco.... My AM is way overpowered as well, with no signs of hurting it's stout structure. I fire anuerysms and wicked snaps at it alot. I do leave the wings in at all times, as a crew cab can carry SOME foam.
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2006, 01:58 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
Hi guys,

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just putting my first AcroMaster together. The instructions give no mention about how you actually join the wings. Are the dovetails meant to push together and snap in place? Mine seem way too tight to actually do that.

Mike
Mike,

I trimmed off the dovetail and just press them into the fuse. Occassionally after several snaps or other high stress maneuvers, one wing is a bit loose. But it is easy to assemble and disassemble. If they begin to get too loose, I'll just drill a hole through the turtle deck and wing and use a CF stick to hold them in place.

If you don't trim it, you can press them together and apart several times outside the fuse to ease the fit.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
Old Dec 08, 2006, 03:49 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Could those of you who have built the AcroMaster tell me the best glue to use? CA like the manual says, or polyurethane glue like Gorilla or Sumo brands? Also, I was going to epoxy the motor mount in, but have heard epoxy won't bond well to Elapor. What do you guys reccomend?
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Dec 08, 2006, 04:06 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
I used slow CA - worked fine

Mike
Old Dec 08, 2006, 07:13 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Raptor
Mike,

I trimmed off the dovetail and just press them into the fuse. Occassionally after several snaps or other high stress maneuvers, one wing is a bit loose.
Randy
That probably cut a bit of weight off as well. The wings really stay in???

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2006, 11:27 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

Mike
Mike,

At first, I had difficulty getting them together until I discovered the right technique. Once you have the wings mostly in but need to get the dove-tail to fit into place, I grab the wing tips with each hand and pull them together, towards the fuse. It works really well for me.

Getting them off easily... well, I haven't figured out that technique other than to pull the leading edge of the wing, then the lagging, then leading - basically rocking it out slowly.

I like the snug fit - it really stays in place nicely.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Dec 08, 2006, 11:29 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

Mike
It is the same system as used on the EasyStar and the EasyGlider - and it works very well. You may want to put the wings together and take them apart a couple of times to loosen the lock function a bit.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member