HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2006, 01:44 PM
Joined Sep 2006
209 Posts
here's a question--what is farthest aft you all have had the CG? I want to move mine to the aft limit and would be interested to see where you guys have flown it.
skiermike123 is offline Find More Posts by skiermike123
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2006, 02:46 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
The only thing I don't like is the likelihood of breaking the plastic mount plate in a crash. For this reason, we're cutting some replacement motor plates. Right now, we're looking at a couple of materials, we'll test shortly and hopefully have the replacement motor mounts done in few weeks.
Any updates?? I'm ready for one

Brian
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2006, 03:29 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiermike123
here's a question--what is farthest aft you all have had the CG? I want to move mine to the aft limit and would be interested to see where you guys have flown it.
We were just talking about this here this morning... I personally don't like it back past the recommended 120mm.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Dec 05, 2006, 03:31 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Any updates?? I'm ready for one

Still working on it. Might not be possible to keep the factory thrust adjustment, need a new idea.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2006, 04:03 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
715 Posts
A long long time ago in this thread someone had talked about the canopy attachment method being insufficient and they recommended magnets instead. I was out in the gale-force winds flying this thing again on Sunday (why does the wind blow hard constantly ever since I finished this thing?) and I have to marvel how well done I think the stock canopy attachment really is!

If you get the little plastic receiver clips placed properly, the canopy snaps on so positively that I can not imagine the thing EVER coming loose, unintentionally. Great design!!! Simple, light, and works great!
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Dec 05, 2006, 04:41 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Yup, I agree, the canopy is just about perfect.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2006, 08:38 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Raptor
Yes. I am flying with the Z3013-16, 3S or 4S 2000 batts, CC45 esc, 11x5.5 or 12x6 prop. Mounted the motor using only two screws - no problems at all. Vertical is unlimited. On 4s, up to 450 watts of power. The motor gets warm but never hot. I have Hyperion motors (2213 and 4025) in two other planes and have never had a problem.

I have the Z3013-16 because they had it in stock at LHS. I would get the -14 if I ordered one. It will be better on 3s to keep the weight down.

For larger planes the Z4025 is awesome - it has a bearing at the large end of the rotor that keeps everything very precise and very quiet - I can bearly hear my 54 inch Hyperion Yak-54 unless it is very close or snap rolling.

Randy
Randy what is the amp drawn on your hyperion setup?
Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna
Old Dec 05, 2006, 08:49 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Hey Blucor Basher,

I'm assuming you are Ben, if so, thanks for overnighting the torque to me. Got a question for you, maybe a couple of them.

It appears that the motor mounting screww are not long enough. What size do I need to get?

I broke one of the stock micro ez links that came with the kit. I got some dubro ones but the mounting pin is too small for the control horn on the aileron. Any suggestions?
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 05, 2006, 09:09 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
The Torques (and most of these outrunners) use 3mm screws for mounting. On my AM, I actually used the stock thrustline-adjusting screws for motor mounting and used some other screws for the thrustline.

The Dubro121 EZlink has a larger pin diameter than the micro ones...i'm not sure if it's correct for the AM horns or not. I can check tomorrow. If you need the screws or anything, just call me, we can get you what you need.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 06, 2006, 03:27 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna
Randy what is the amp drawn on your hyperion setup?
MAgna,

If you look back on page 72 (Nov 3) I posted some graphs of the current/voltage for a cuople of different props. Peak current is about 40 amps during a sustained climb. Most of the time current is between 15 and 20A, right at the best efficiency for the motor.

Note: I did cook the Z3013-16. I did a very long sustained vertical - 300 feet at least, the lower air speed combined with the high power burned the insulation on several windings. Ordered a Z3013-14 to replace it. Should arrive today. This will run only on 3s packs. I will repeat the Eagle Treee logging again with some different props and report the results.

Using a 3S2100 pack instead of 4S 2000 should cut an oz or two from the all-up weight.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
Old Dec 06, 2006, 05:40 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Got my Acromaster today--can't wait to get it up and flying! CC45 and Torque 2818-900 ready to go, as well...
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:18 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
The Torques (and most of these outrunners) use 3mm screws for mounting. On my AM, I actually used the stock thrustline-adjusting screws for motor mounting and used some other screws for the thrustline.

The Dubro121 EZlink has a larger pin diameter than the micro ones...i'm not sure if it's correct for the AM horns or not. I can check tomorrow. If you need the screws or anything, just call me, we can get you what you need.
Got 'er working Ben. I put a dubro link on the horn that I had to replace, then used the stock link for my other one.

I found some motor mount screw that worked perfectly in an eflite stick mount I picked up the other day.

I'm good to maiden just need a decent weather forecast.

Setup

Torque motor
cc45
hs 65's all around
Tp 15c 2100's, apex 2100's both 15c
Dx6 rx
12x6 apc

AUW 34 oz (don't know how I could have built it any lighter, maybe a couple of grams)

Did a couple of static tests with both packs

300w and 30 A give or take.

Sound about right?

Just holding it and exercising the control surfaces, seems to be pretty nimble. with all the air being blown.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:28 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Sounds about right to me! If you pick up some 20C packs, you can always move up to the APC 13.6.5 prop, but I've been flying my AM exactly the same way yours is set up, and I like the 12x6. It's eeeeeasy to fly.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 06, 2006, 07:29 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Well now that my AcroMaster is on the way it's time to think about how to go about building it. One thing I've been contemplating is weather or not to sand the molding marks off. If I decide to, how would I do it and how hard is it to sand Elapor? Also, what kind of glue should I use to put the plane together?
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Dec 06, 2006, 07:48 PM
How low can you Go??
England
Joined May 2004
94 Posts
Im just building my acromaster at the moment, ive sanded off the molding marks with DRY wet and dry fine paper,as i am going to paint her, use medium-thick cyno to glue her together.

Simon
simon 3D is offline Find More Posts by simon 3D