HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:11 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
Sorry - I forgot to mention that the balance plug needs to be compatible with Thunder Power or Poly-Quest/Hyperion. I like the EVO 20's, but unfortunately they won't work.
All of the FlightPower 25-50 C packs That we distribute have Thunder Power Balance plugs on them.
atlav8r is online now Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2006, 05:28 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Sorry - I forgot to mention that the balance plug needs to be compatible with Thunder Power or Poly-Quest/Hyperion. I like the EVO 20's, but unfortunately they won't work.
Tanic can put a Thunder Power balance plug on the packs.
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Dec 03, 2006, 06:16 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,649 Posts
Thanks for your help guys. I think I'm going to go with Blucor Basher's advice and buy a TP extreme. I have a few of the Thunder Power packs and like them a lot. I'm looking at the 2070mah pack right now, it's nice and light, and www.readyheli.com gave me a good price on it.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Dec 03, 2006, 07:19 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
That's great, but remember, both 3DHobbyShop and Atlanta Hobby responded to your question with advice here on the forum...
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:00 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your help guys. I think I'm going to go with Blucor Basher's advice and buy a TP extreme. I have a few of the Thunder Power packs and like them a lot. I'm looking at the 2070mah pack right now, it's nice and light, and www.readyheli.com gave me a good price on it.
Yeah, support the folks who supported you
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:08 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
I did something really stupid in my build today, looking for a little advise.

I mounted the elevator bracket with the control horn upside down/backwards. The control horn is on the wrong side. Oh well. I'm going to use a bolt through dubro horn I have unless someone has a better option.

I had some help, it was a little distracting. (5, 7, and 9).

Not the end of the world, but I'm a little bummed.

Thansk for any advice,

Tom
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:41 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,649 Posts
Well I've heard great things about Atlanta Hobby. Would you guys consider this pack: http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6168 a better one than the 2070 Extreme?
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Dec 03, 2006, 10:07 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
This plane looks really nice. excellent video blucor (paint scheme rocks) and i liked the flight characteristics. looks well powered on your set up and very floaty.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2006, 08:19 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Well I've heard great things about Atlanta Hobby. Would you guys consider this pack: http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6168 a better one than the 2070 Extreme?
Rocketman,
The 3 S 2150 FlightPower pack has now been discontinued for this newer smaller (in size) pack http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6570 which is a 2170mAH. The new 2170 packs are 25C con with a 86 amp burst.

The 2070 Extreme pack (as are all of the Extreme packs) is a great pack and are basically the same interland cells as FP but in slightly different configurations. Both styles of these packs are the defacto state of the art as far as this technology goes and we are one of the nations largest suppliers of both of these Mfgs. Packs and like them both. The difference you will find is in how the packs are assembled as each company buys the cells and then does their own assembly. My suggestion to you is to always look at the weight and size of each pack and pick the pick the one that best fits your size and weight requirements.

Please remember that all of these C ratings are to a certain extent just a measure of cycle life. That old dog of a pack you have rated at 8 C will give you 25-50 C it will just not last (not even one cycle). What I like about the FP packs is the documentation and testing provided by the Mfg. (and the way they stand behind their packs). FP is the first Mfg. (at least that ships to us) to come out in the public and say "our packs are 25-50C, and if you run them at 25 C you will have cycle life to about 50 cycles. At 15 C you will have more and at 10 C you will have many more cycles. A quote from our website,
"As a guideline:
1C Charge/20C average Discharge, cycle life expectation: 50 Cycles to 80% Capacity. This will only affect the craziest EDF projects and must be factored in as the normal running cost of such applications. 1C Charge/10C average Discharge, cycle life expectation: 200 Cycles to 80% Capacity. This represents the limit of normal RC use and most users should regard 200 Cycles as a minimum expectation to 80% retained capacity; of course the pack will normally continue to function well beyond this point."

So again pick a pack that will fit in your plane properly and will weigh what you need. Weather it is 1800, 2070, 2150, 2170, 2200, 2500mAH or more. Also as to the pricing… companies like Bens, and Mine need to stay in business and are here for the long haul. If you are after a $2.00-$5.00 savings you will most certainly find it if you look around. The fact of the matter is that the advertised price of these packs is controlled by the Mfg and reputable company’s will abide by this rule because we all want and need to stay in business and provide for our families. Companies like the one you mentioned have nothing to stand on but price and are making you jump through hoops to save five bucks and in all probability will not be there to help you if you need it. Remember the story of the chicken and the pig ? Who is on line at midnight monitoring thse boards and in my case also manning our live help line on our website? Yep, the pigs are here working, be it this time of the year with Santa hats on ;-)

Hope this helps? Good winds
Cliff Whitney
atlav8r is online now Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jernejk
Hi!

Where do you have CG of your AM for 3d flying? Currently I fly pattern with it and it's very nice, but if I try 3d with the same CG (in the Multipex recommended range)$ I find it very hard to handle.

If I try to fly harrier, the wings are very unstable and the plane rocks right and left. Is there a cure for that?

Thanks,

Jernej
Make sure you sand the ridge off the leading edge and it will help.

Also, set up a flight mode to reflex the ailerons up 20 degrees with about 5 degrees of up elevator as well.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Last edited by MikeMayberry; Dec 04, 2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 02:33 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Good suggestions...also-

Try a static reflex (ailerons up slightly all the time), that can sometimes be more forgiving.

Fly the harrier with the nose higher.

Flip it over. Inverted harrier is rock-solid, can be easier to learn.

Good Luck!
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2006, 05:18 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
715 Posts
I also noticed that mine is rock-steady inverted too in a Harrier. I assume this is due to the vertical stab being in fre-flow, unblocked air. For some reason I think it looks better inverted too!
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Last edited by woketman; Dec 04, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 05:28 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woketman
I also noticed that mine is rock-steady inverted too in a Harrier. I assume this is due to the vertical stab being in fre-flow, unblocked air. For sme reason I think it looks better inverted too!
Actually, it's mostly due to the vertical CG being above the wing, so it's going to be more stable inverted. Pretty much the case for any low wing. Opposite for high wings...

Brian
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2006, 05:39 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Ach...maybe, to some degree...but a Yak with everything on the CL still has better inverted than upright harrier. It appears to be related to the hor. stab masking the vert. stab, kind of akin to dutch roll.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2006, 12:31 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
Mine harriers upright better when I stand on my head... go figure!

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry