HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
Joined Sep 2006
209 Posts
here's a beginner / electric 101 question:

I've got four 2200 mAh batteries that I run through my Acromaster. Usually, I just swap 'em one right after another, with no downtime. Am I gonna burn up the motor or ESC? They don't get that hot and don't seem to mind the constant abuse...

A pleasure as always,
Mike
skiermike123 is offline Find More Posts by skiermike123
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:25 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Jurgen, you mentioned Martin had CF landing gear for the indoor flying. You told me in an earlier post it was wire gear with depron and CF looking covering/tape. Guess the depron thing was wrong.
I did not say that he used the stock gear:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=591

Martin basically made a "shockflyer-style" landing gear, i.e. Carbon rod front and aft, Depron in the middle and wrapped it with Oracover CF-look.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; Oct 24, 2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelTony
The following is from the instruction sheet for the AXI 282x series.

"The AXI motor design with its rotating case significantly increases
the need of a robust motor mount. We strongly recommend the
use of a folding propeller even with aerobatic models, even the
world F5A champion uses a folding propeller on his motor of a
similar design. If you are using your motor at the upper end of it's
power range, or if you must use a fixed propeller, please make
sure that your motor really is securely mounted."
Tony
This is the same instruction sheet as for the smaller 2808 series. No idea who translated the CZ version, but the German version reads differently:

Sehr zu empfehlen ist die Verwendung von Klappluftschrauben (auch in Motormodellen). Falls es nicht möglich ist, muss der Motor auf einem sehr stabilen Spant montiert werden.

As there has never been an F5A World Championship, how can there be an F5A world champion? F5A allows hand lauching and belly landing, which makes a folding prop a good idea.

Fact is, that all F3A World Championship pilots using electric motors used standard (non-folding) props.

Jürgen
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiermike123
here's a beginner / electric 101 question:

I've got four 2200 mAh batteries that I run through my Acromaster. Usually, I just swap 'em one right after another, with no downtime. Am I gonna burn up the motor or ESC? They don't get that hot and don't seem to mind the constant abuse...

A pleasure as always,
Mike
It depends mostly on your flying style and the outside temperatures. If ESC and motor are barely warm, you can use the next battery pack immediately.

Jürgen
Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:29 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Motor mounting

After the first three or four flights on my AM, I found I needed to tighten the two main motor mount screws. The prop was very well balanced but the vibration on take-off let me know something was amiss. Each screw needed about a full turn to tighten it all the way down again. Since They are a very tight fit initally, I doubt that they worked loose. I suspect that there is some settling that occurs during the firat few flights as the thrust angle adjustment screws seat in tightly against the mounting frame.

So, check your motor mount screws occassionally and tighten as required.

I am please that on the AM the front bulkhead has reinforcement ridges to make it more rigid that the stock bulkhead on the Magister. My Magister was always a bit 'noisy' at high throttle. After breaking the stock bulkhead in a crash, I machined a new aluminum one about twice as thick as the original and after that she is very quiet.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:30 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Jurgen's posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
It depends mostly on your flying style and the outside temperatures. If ESC and motor are barely warm, you can use the next battery pack immediately.

Jürgen
Jurgen,

I always find your posts to be informative and useful. Please keep it up!

Randy
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:10 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
For those who aren't in the know as to how to translate German webpages, (more or less) go to http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en and paste the address above into the 'Translate a web page' field. Then select 'German to English' from the pull-down menu, and click 'Translate
Great tip. Thanks Jeremy

Brian
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:18 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,623 Posts
I have some questions about gear for the AcroMaster. First off, I am planning on getting a 3S 3000mah battery from Maxamps.com. It weighs 224g. Is that an okay weight for the battery? Secondly, I am going with the reccomended Hacker motor, which is rated for 35A. Should I buy the Pheonix 45 ESC, or will I be fine with the 35?

Thanks,
Rocketman1092
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:45 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Batts, gear, ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
I have some questions about gear for the AcroMaster. First off, I am planning on getting a 3S 3000mah battery from Maxamps.com. It weighs 224g. Is that an okay weight for the battery? Secondly, I am going with the reccomended Hacker motor, which is rated for 35A. Should I buy the Pheonix 45 ESC, or will I be fine with the 35?

Thanks,
Rocketman1092
Rocketman,

that batt is a bit heavy - you may find it hard to get the correct CG unless you move the tail servos back.

The gear will handle the weight IF you land smoothly on a fairly smooth surface. If your landings are a bit rough or the surface not so wonderful, then you may have a bit of problem with the gear. a 3s2000 or 3s2500 batt with reduce the total weight a bit.

For any batt combo I would go with the Phoenix 45 - this gives you some room to try other motor/batts/prop combos without buying a new ESC. The Phoenix 45 is very reliable. I have somewhere between 200 and 300 flights on the one in my Magister - running a Axi 2826/12, 13x6.5 prop and 4s pack - hitting 45 amps at times with no problems at all. Already wore out one 4s2p pack.

Have fun!

Randy
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:20 PM
Joined Jul 2005
36 Posts
First flight today.
man this thing flys nice... best plane I have ever piloted! Handles like a dream!
Everything went well except when I tryed to torque roll or vertical flight. The engine would cut out after 2 or 3 seconds.... I would bring the throttle down, and then motor would start right back up.
The BEC is cutting out on me.
I have the factory recommened setup. with himax, phx 45
I did use hitec servos 85's and 65's.
I am also using 2 new thunder power 3 cell 2200 extremes, which should be able to handle the load.
My question is About setting the phx 45. I am using LiPo AUTO DETECT setting as well as all other default settings on the phx 45. Is their somthing I can change to make it
torque roll / vertical flight without cutting out the engine?
resedaguy is offline Find More Posts by resedaguy
Last edited by resedaguy; Oct 24, 2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:29 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by resedaguy
The BEC is cutting out on me.
Is their somthing I can change to make it
torque roll / vertical flight without cutting out the engine?
Well, I am sure it is not the BEC cutting out on you, as this would leave you without control. Most likely you need to change your LVC (Low voltage cutoff) settings. Instead of stopping the motor, it should just reduce the power a bit.

Jürgen
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:39 AM
Joined Jul 2005
36 Posts
thanks Jurgen,
BEC is working as I have control, but thought maybe it was cutting out the motor to keep enough voltage for servo operation.
I'll try changing the Cutoff votage from LIPO AUTODetect to the next lowest setting of 4.0 V and see if that helps any.
resedaguy is offline Find More Posts by resedaguy
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:45 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
Whether a battery seems heavy or not is personal preference. I like a heavy battery because I find that it helps the plane penetrate the wind a bit better, and I get longer flights. But my 3D suffers. I can still do everything, (within my own talents) the maneuvers are just a bit more sluggish than they would be with a lighter battery pack. (I use a 3S2P 4200 mAh pack) The 35 A ESC will be fine if you're not at full throttle all the time, and as long as it gets some airflow.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Oct 25, 2006, 02:38 AM
Kranj
Joined Jun 2006
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Raptor
Rocketman,

that batt is a bit heavy - you may find it hard to get the correct CG unless you move the tail servos back.
That helps me choosing my battery pack, thanks. How about 2500mAh weighting 209g? Is that ok or will that also lead to CG problems? The next option is 2150mAh weighting 178g - but I'd prefer 2500 to be on the safe side regarding high current.

Jernej
jernejk is offline Find More Posts by jernejk
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:14 AM
Airdrie, AB Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,049 Posts
These have finally made it up to the Frozen North. Unfortunately I'm not sure mine will see flight this year unless we see great weather.

I'm amazed at how few motors have been tried on this plane in this thread. It is a pretty standard weight (32oz ish) yet many seem to be going for the Himaxx option. Strange. That doesn't happen much on non multiplex planes.

The video posted with Martin flying inside was on a 3516. I'm assuming he tried the 2808/24 and maybe a lighter pack and was unimpressed. Is that right Jurgen?

Looks like it will be a great plane can't wait to get it in the air.

Probably go with HS65's. TP Extreme 2200's. Would sure like to get to around 450w without a weight penalty. We'll see. Hopefully more of these will start popping up in North America.

Mike
mjws is offline Find More Posts by mjws