HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:46 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,584 Posts
I'm looking to buy an Acro Master this holiday season, but don't have too much money to spend on motor, ESC, and battery. Does anyone know of a power setup that will offer good performance, but keeps cost at a minimum?
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:09 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
I'm looking to buy an Acro Master this holiday season, but don't have too much money to spend on motor, ESC, and battery. Does anyone know of a power setup that will offer good performance, but keeps cost at a minimum?
I take it your new to this thread then

Like mentioned earlier, the Himax C3516-1130 and Castle Creations Phoenix 45 ESC package is probably the best performance and value you'll get.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJayne
I take it your new to this thread then

Like mentioned earlier, the Himax C3516-1130 and Castle Creations Phoenix 45 ESC package is probably the best performance and value you'll get.

Mark
Yes, but you should know that you're still going to spend about $400-500 by the time you're done.

AM - $100
Motor - $80
ESC - $50 (not aware of the ESC package MJ is referring to)
LiPo - $90 +
Rx - $30-60
Servos - $70
Total - $450 + tax or shipping

This is a bigger class of plane than the 400 size ones.

A good-flying & cheap-to-equip pattern plane is the Formosa.

Formosa (slope glider) - $30
BL Motor - $30-80, depending on quality & power (150 W, ~1000 kv)
ESC - $30 (TB-18)
LiPo - $40 for a good one (CSRC 3S 1200 mAh 15C)
Servos - $60 (HS-55 or S75)
Rx - $20-60 (Micro 05S = $35??)
Total - $260 + tax or shipping, but it won't do 3D.
Plus, you can total it and only be out about $30-50.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:44 PM
Joined Sep 2006
209 Posts
Quote:
but keeps cost at a minimum?
uhhh... no.

hahah

I spent sooo much money on this plane!! haha but that's one of the things I do best. I just walked into a hobby shop and said "lay it on me!"

I got chargers, balancers, escs, receivers, 4 (yes, four) batteries, motors, servos, the whole deal. I spent about a grand.
skiermike123 is offline Find More Posts by skiermike123
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:47 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,584 Posts
I've got a Formosa already . I just like the idea of a bigger, Elapor airplane. I'm convinced I can get one for less than $450. I can buy a Maxamps 3000mah 3 cell for $52 with our club discount. MarkJayne, where can I get the motor and ESC package? That might save me a little money.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:01 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
I've got a Formosa already . I just like the idea of a bigger, Elapor airplane. I'm convinced I can get one for less than $450. I can buy a Maxamps 3000mah 3 cell for $52 with our club discount. MarkJayne, where can I get the motor and ESC package? That might save me a little money.
If your in the UK www.westwalesmodels.co.uk do them.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:13 PM
Joined Sep 2006
209 Posts
All quiet on the AM front...
skiermike123 is offline Find More Posts by skiermike123
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:26 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
I'm convinced I can get one for less than $450. I can buy a Maxamps 3000mah 3 cell for $52 with our club discount.
Rocketman, that's a great price for that battery, too bad its an "insiders only" deal!

If you find other good prices on equipment for the AM, I'd love to hear about it. Can we talk you into posting any other good deals (prices/equipment) you find?

By the way, I haven't seen the Acromaster for $100 anywhere - I paid $120 at Hobby People a day or two ago, and that was the cheapest price I've seen advertised here in the USA.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:30 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJayne
have got a Quark ESC in my Easystar. I've found these to be great ESC's. The programing mode is the best I've used.
Mark
I've heard very good things about Quark ESC's from friends in the RC car hobby. Oddly enough, I don't know anyone using them in RC planes - guess they're not as well known in this community.

The Castle ESC's are not popular with most electric RC car drivers I've spoken to - the rough and jerky startup causes major traction and (startup) delay problems for them.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:24 PM
Joined Jul 2005
36 Posts
Antenna wire.

where / how did you guys install the antenna wire?
resedaguy is offline Find More Posts by resedaguy
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:01 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Resedaguy, the Acromaster fuse is long enough so that you could probably conceal the antenna inside it. Some people route the antenna zig-zag to shorten it a bit if necessary.

You could probably also run it along the bottom of the fuselage if you wished.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:16 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
Yeah, it also helps that money's no object to the owner of NES.
Like Punkindrublic (anagram of "drunk in public"??), I too would like that particular kind of help.

After seeing how upset I got JeremyZ by considering the Torque outrunner (just kidding), I stopped by the LHS to look at a Multiplex BL-480 4G geared inrunner motor today. Nice looking motor, and it's on sale for $99 (not cheap by any means, but cheaper than it used to be). Looking at it raised a couple of question-marks in my mind.

Firstly, the gearbox shaft (the motor has a planetary gearbox mounted directly in front of it, only the gearbox shaft is visible) had what appears to be a 4mm diameter, with a flat machined into it. The LHS did not have any prop adaptors that would work with it - there were 3.17 mm (1/8") prop adaptors with a set-screw designed for flatted motor shafts, but no 4mm ones. Finding the right prop adaptor might be a bit of a job. Perhaps Tower Hobbies or North East Sailplanes carries the right prop adaptor, since both those retailers sell this motor.

I also wonder if the flat machined into the shaft (and the sharp rectangular edge in particular) will not cause a stress concentration, and make the shaft considerably weaker and more prone to break in the event the propeller hits anything. And this is a planetary gearbox - that shaft carries the three planetary gears inside the box, and it may not be easy to replace the shaft in the event of breakage.

The second question mark was raised by the datasheet packed with the motor, which lists the motor maximum current as 30 amps. However, the Multiplex USA website still lists it at 37 amps:
http://www.multiplexusa.com/motors/B...rive/4Gear.htm

If the motor is only rated for 30 amps, that is a tad bit on the low side for the Acromaster (though the high efficiency of this motor and a big 13" prop will probably compensate for slightly reduced power from the motor). If the motor really is rated for 37 amps, then that is ample, and as discussed earlier, the motor has electrical efficiency equalling the Himax, and better aerodynamic efficiency due to the larger prop it will swing. The question is, which number do we believe? 30 amps, or 37?

Blucor Basher, I haven't forgotten you, if I get the Torque motor, it will be from your store.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:45 AM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
7,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Finding the right prop adaptor might be a bit of a job.
I've got em.
$5 shipped each
punkindrublik is offline Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Holy Tiny Transmitter Batman
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:52 AM
AMA 506547
Joined Sep 2004
7,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
that's a great price for that battery, too bad its an "insiders only" deal!
How about an AM flyers "inside" deal??
I'm an E-power dealer. I can do this for you guys....

3s 2200 20-30C - $52
3s 2200 12-18C - $42

That's a nice discount from online prices and I'll ship for free to the US.
Gotta show me a pic of yer AM though
Just an FYI

Brian
punkindrublik is offline Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Holy Tiny Transmitter Batman
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:55 AM
AMA 506547
Joined Sep 2004
7,872 Posts
Quote: