SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:25 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Ready to go

My Acromaster is now ready to take to the skies.

AUW including 2200mah lipo comes out at 985g which I'm pretty pleased about. And, the CofG is achieved with the lipo right at the top of the slope. So, I could use 1800mah lipo's too with no problem and reduce the weight still further.

Weather forecast for tomorrow is naff; strong winds, but looks promising for Sunday.

Will report back if and when the maiden takes place.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:51 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
925 Posts
Good luck with the maiden Steve, let us know the result!
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:17 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
941 Posts
She's pretty forgiving on the CG. I like to fly mine tail heavy, but for the pattern ship, I'd think that you'd want it nose heavy or so that flying inverted requires no elevator input.
Flying pattern takes just as much skill as flying 3D I think. To execute a perfect slow roll, cuban eight, etc is just as hard if not harder than hovering your plane or doing a rolling harrier.
Kerbob is online now Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Mission Completed

Maidened the Acro Master this morning.

Cloudy, grey and cold but no wind so good conditions for a maiden.

I had set up my high rates to that recommended by Multiplex for normal flight and set low rates to half of that with 30% expo all round. I flew today on my low rate settings.

Now, I'm not going to expound on the plaudits the Acromaster has received for it's flying qualities; suffice to say ...........bl--dy marvellous !

In total I managed four flights of 6 minutes (using 1800mah lipos), learning and exploring the characteristics of the model. I only needed a touch of rudder trim and the model flew straight and level at around half throttle. I didn't try anything fancy, just some loops, rolls, half cuban 8 and a spot of inverted. Inverted needed a tad of elevator so I will move the lipo back a tad before venturing out again.

I returned home with the model undamaged and a very broad smile on my face. I envisage the AM becoming the grab and go model I was looking for and can't imagine ever going to the field without it.

Hence, Mission Completed.

A few pics attached. Nothing special; I will add some landing gear fairings during the week to enhance the looks.

Steve.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:19 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
822 Posts
Great job.
I think I remember when my was this white. It's going on 2 years.
Here it shows what I did with my wheels.
They are bigger than stock (65mm)
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:48 AM
Save a tree fly a foamy
petaluma CA
Joined Apr 2005
354 Posts
Hello all. I'm doing a repair on my crashed Acro and need a measurment from the leading edge of wing (at the root) to the front of the motor mount. Many thanks to anyone who can help me out.
S.Davy is online now Find More Posts by S.Davy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:20 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Davy View Post
Hello all. I'm doing a repair on my crashed Acro and need a measurment from the leading edge of wing (at the root) to the front of the motor mount. Many thanks to anyone who can help me out.
Some measurements for you.

From the LE of the wing moulding in the fuselage to the nose is 167mm on both sides, measured along the axis of the motor shaft.
The front face of the motor mount is 4mm back from the nose on both sides. ( with Mpx recommended adjustment screw positions).

Hope this helps,

Steve.
Last edited by stevespana; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:34 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,235 Posts
agreed , i get 170.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:23 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
941 Posts
Come on folks.. lets see some new videos!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:03 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
Anybody using the stock set up with the recommended Himax motor, be interested to know what props most are using, I tend to stick with the recommended 11 x 5.5 but most of my other planes are 12 x 6 so tempted to just stick to one for all!!
Witterings is online now Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:04 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
941 Posts
I've always used 12x6 on mine.. love it.
This video was from 3 yrs ago.. still have the same one and still love flying it although I'd like to think I'm much better than back then..
Self-Filmed Acromaster 3D Flying (6 min 31 sec)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:25 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
942 Posts
Looks like Multiplex may have listened to the complaints about the motor mount and the new Tucan is much different and looks good. Here is the Manual for it. Look on page 32.

http://attachments.worldhobbies.com/...f?r=1360814787
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:35 AM
Beginner
Germany
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
Looks like Multiplex may have listened to the complaints about the motor mount and the new Tucan is much different and looks good.
Emm... but it's made of wood.
ottootts is offline Find More Posts by ottootts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:37 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
The wings on my Acromaster are coming apart in flight where the "locking system" has worn over time. Ages ago I put a thin line of CA down 2 of the edges and it made it that much more secure, I tried just putting a bit more on but it's go to teh stage that it covers quite a large area and the CA is more slippery than the foam so it's made it worse rather than better. I managed to scrape the CA off but still have the problem of them fitting loosely has anybody had this / found an alternative solution ??
Witterings is online now Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:24 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottootts View Post
Emm... but it's made of wood.
So are lots of plane motor mounts made of wood (plywood) and planes much bigger than the AM have plywood motor mounts.. Many pilots overcame the poorly designed motor mount on the AM by introducing plywood mounts and or reinforcing. Still the AM is a bit long in the tooth now so I doubt the mount will be changed and IMHO the AM has been very much superceeded by the E-Flite Visionaire.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit