HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:47 AM
lownslow
windrnone's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
IMHO the real problem here is Multiplex! Their motor mount though convenient to adjust thrust angle is not very robust. I would be just has happy using washer shims with a more robust system. When I built this plane I thought WOW nice plane, maybe a Gemini or Fun Cub in my future. After chasing MOO for 2 months all that changed, I will stay away from this motor mount. My Apprentice required a thrust angle change, pulled the motor off, slipped in two thin washers, and on my way........And oh by the way the Acro LG leaves a lot to be desired. During my frustration I purchased a PZ Extra 300, WOW, simple, robust, flying fun in 20 minutes.........ed
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:40 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
Hey Guys, noob here with a moo’er, thought I would share my findings. First thanks to all you guys for all your great ideas! I bought the Acro last Dec and by Feb I had a MOO! I think it was flight #8. As per this thread I used ply stiffeners and lotsa glue on the motor mounts, even epoxied 2 more cross braces behind the motor, but it still MOO’S. A buddy suggested a slow fly prop and that killed the moo, but I still wanted to fly it w an E prop. Then someone on this thread suggested wood, hence I tried that and came up with some interesting data…….. since the slow fly killed the moo I tried a few others as follows, all balanced, power 15, 50 AMP Castle ICE, g is prop weight in grams…..

APC 12x6 28g MOO MOO
APC 11x6 26g MOO MOO
APC 11x5.5 26g MOO MOO
MAS 11x6 26g MOO MOO

Apprentice 11x8 20g NO MOO
APC 12x3.8 Slo Fly 18g NO MOO
Wood Falcon 12x6 16g NO MOO
Wood XOAR 12x5 16g NO MOO
Wood XOAR 11x6 14g NO MOO
APC 11x4.7 Slo Fly 13g NO MOO
Exactly my solution....Nice XOAR.... Moo No More. Has worked for mine for a few years..... just a killer plane.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Last edited by kydawg1; Apr 27, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:43 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
IMHO the real problem here is Multiplex! Their motor mount though convenient to adjust thrust angle is not very robust. I would be just has happy using washer shims with a more robust system. When I built this plane I thought WOW nice plane, maybe a Gemini or Fun Cub in my future. After chasing MOO for 2 months all that changed, I will stay away from this motor mount. My Apprentice required a thrust angle change, pulled the motor off, slipped in two thin washers, and on my way........And oh by the way the Acro LG leaves a lot to be desired. During my frustration I purchased a PZ Extra 300, WOW, simple, robust, flying fun in 20 minutes.........ed
For the wire gear.... add a suspension support (check the acromaster threads - there are picts). If you cannot find, I will snap a shot of my homemade solution this weekend.

Pict of mine back in post 2879....I added a small hook screwed into the plastic gear mount, added a loop of fuel tubing and suspended strong nylon kite string across both struts and thru the fuel tube loop.

Now when I land and the gear tries to spread.... the string taunts and stretches the tubing (increases strength and adds suspension). The tubing then returns and pulls the struts back to correct
position. Work awesome. Keep the gear from splaying out as they do.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Last edited by kydawg1; Apr 27, 2012 at 05:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Can I use an E-flight Power 25 870KV on this kit?

I have a E-Flight Power 25, a eflight pro 40 ESC, and a bunch of 3s 2200 may batteries from another plane. Would that stuff work in this plane? Any thoughts or ideas?
BBtheKing is offline Find More Posts by BBtheKing
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:46 PM
Retired USAF
cynjon's Avatar
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtheKing View Post
I have a E-Flight Power 25, a eflight pro 40 ESC, and a bunch of 3s 2200 may batteries from another plane. Would that stuff work in this plane? Any thoughts or ideas?
It would work, although probably not an ideal motor for the AcroMaster, which flies best when kept light. I'm using a Torque 2818/900 motor which produces around 400W and weighs 104g. The Power 25 will produce much more power (although not with your ESC/batteries), but at the cost of being nearly twice as heavy at 190g. Many have used the smaller Power 15 with good success, and it weighs in at 152g. Aside from the motor, your ESC and batteries should do fine as long as they're up to the task of providing 40 or so amps to your motor. If you've got them on hand, go for it!

Also, if you don't already have a power meter, I highly recommend getting one so you can make an informed decision about prop selection, amp draw, and battery condition.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
lownslow
windrnone's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
For the wire gear.... add a suspension support (check the acromaster threads - there are picts). If you cannot find, I will snap a shot of my homemade solution this weekend.

Pict of mine back in post 2879....I added a small hook screwed into the plastic gear mount, added a loop of fuel tubing and suspended strong nylon kite string across both struts and thru the fuel tube loop.

Now when I land and the gear tries to spread.... the string taunts and stretches the tubing (increases strength and adds suspension). The tubing then returns and pulls the struts back to correct
position. Work awesome. Keep the gear from splaying out as they do.
Thanks for the input, still trying to decide where to go with the gear, will let you know if I change it
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 12:54 PM
lownslow
windrnone's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Exactly my solution....Nice XOAR.... Moo No More. Has worked for mine for a few years..... just a killer plane.
I put that Falcon wood 12x6 on my PZ 300 Extra, WOW does she come off the ground in a hurry !!!!
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 10:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2008
131 Posts
3548-900

new to am.bought plane with 3548-900 motor will this work or just to big?ive used this motor in my bird of time.real good authority.dont know much about 3d but a lot about expo.
ratlm is offline Find More Posts by ratlm
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 11:09 PM
Retired USAF
cynjon's Avatar
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlm View Post
new to am.bought plane with 3548-900 motor will this work or just to big?ive used this motor in my bird of time.real good authority.dont know much about 3d but a lot about expo.
The 3548-900 is a little on the heavy side at 163g but not too bad. Should have plenty of authority in the AM. If you have it, use it!
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 04:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2008
131 Posts
thnks
ratlm is offline Find More Posts by ratlm
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2008
131 Posts
cyjon.hey am i ever glad i got this thing.what a treat to fly.the 3548-900 with a 12x6 wood prop pulls it around great.had the throws turned down like a coward but started jacking them up right after the first battery.a real pleasure will be sad the day i crash thisone(maybe itll never happen)hey i just noticed your not far from me.what a treat.when you live up here you start to feel like your from a difrent planet! i fly gliders and there just isnt anyone intrested for miles.
ratlm is offline Find More Posts by ratlm
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2012, 10:42 PM
Retired USAF
cynjon's Avatar
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlm View Post
cyjon.hey am i ever glad i got this thing.what a treat to fly.the 3548-900 with a 12x6 wood prop pulls it around great.had the throws turned down like a coward but started jacking them up right after the first battery.a real pleasure will be sad the day i crash thisone(maybe itll never happen)hey i just noticed your not far from me.what a treat.when you live up here you start to feel like your from a difrent planet! i fly gliders and there just isnt anyone intrested for miles.
The AM is a great airframe...probably my favorite powered model. I'm primarily a glider guy as well but have started selling off most of my glider fleet for the same reason--very little interest up here.

You should come to Rapid City for this year's Huckfest...it's going to be a great event!
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2012, 07:41 AM
Don't give in to gravity
Gravitycheat's Avatar
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,876 Posts
[wrong thread
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 08:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
Batt size

Does this bird fly good on 3 cell 2200's I have several and want use them in something.

Waverunner
Waverunner is offline Find More Posts by Waverunner
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
Air Cooled VW mechanic
THX-181's Avatar
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2008
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunner View Post
Does this bird fly good on 3 cell 2200's I have several and want use them in something.

Waverunner
That's the battery I use. She flies with authority at 5280 ft.
THX-181 is offline Find More Posts by THX-181
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Extremeflight Extra vs Multiplex Acro Master Magna 3D Flying 17 Dec 10, 2008 01:11 AM
For Sale Multiplex Acro Master RTF slopenutz Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jul 13, 2007 04:12 PM
Sold Multiplex Acro Master termite Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Mar 20, 2007 05:04 PM
Link Multiplex Acro Master $99.99 Doubletap Hot Online Deals 6 Dec 18, 2006 03:37 PM
New Multiplex 4 Engine Cargo with speed control !!!! Looks like a B-17 Joe Pierson Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 06, 2001 01:48 AM