HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Update for posterity

I got rid of the vibration, or moo, finally. In my case it took 2 coats of Gorilla glue inside the nose and switching all 6 screws to #6 sheet metal screws. I'm not sure if one or the other (the 2nd coat or the larger screws) was the key, since they were done simultaneously.

I'm using washers on the back of the motor mount for thrust angle since I drilled through the plastic that the original 4 thrust angle screws were supposed to just butt against.

Recapping: The "by the book" setup with the recommened motor (Himax 3516-1130) resulted in vibration at about 60% throttle. One coat of Gorilla glue inside the nose and switching the 4 thrust angle screws to #4 wood screws got me to about 80% throttle. And now, as stated above, I am at 100% throttle.

Note also that all this has not affected my CG much. I moved the Castle Thunderbird 54 back a little, but it is still well within the nose. I actually moved the 3S 2200 forward a little, so that it is now fully on the inlcline into the compartment. Those movements probably offset each other to a certain extent. (Before, to get CG, I had to have my batt sticking up into the canopy a little, if you follow).

If you got one of these and have the vibration problem (whatever the real reason is...perhaps we will never know), then good luck and I hope my experience may be helpful. Yes, check your prop balance, shaft, etc. first...but don't get crazy about it because there are definitely other issues with some of these.
cincinnatus is offline Find More Posts by cincinnatus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Melton Mowbray
Joined Jan 2008
327 Posts
With regards to the moo, I had just a little at full throttle on mine. Nothing that upset me but it was there. I changed out the under cart for an aluminium Wot 4 one set into the fuselage and hey presto - gone! I think mine must have been the flimsy undercarriage vibrating! Oh and the new under cart looks so much better!

Chris
chris jones is offline Find More Posts by chris jones
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:17 AM
Hacienda Heights, Ca., USA
Joined Sep 2009
252 Posts
I flew several packs thru my AM today. What a fun plane! I also noticed that my wheels sometimes rattle/ make noise. I'm using Dubro 2.5" micro lite sport wheels on mine and the wheel collars need to be adjusted. I soldered a support wire across the gear legs. It as done a good job of preventing the legs from spreading too much on heavy landings while still flexing and absorbing the weight of the AM. Nick.
Nick9000 is offline Find More Posts by Nick9000
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:46 AM
Gettysburg
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Carbon fiber

ARCOMASTER Multiplex Can any one tell me if you think the Horizontal Elevator Stabilizer should have carbon fiber glued in ?
McDannell is offline Find More Posts by McDannell
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDannell View Post
ARCOMASTER Multiplex Can any one tell me if you think the Horizontal Elevator Stabilizer should have carbon fiber glued in ?
Nah,

I've ripped through 4 of these things through the years and have never had a problem with the stab.

Fred
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
Gettysburg
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Thanks you for the input RotorJockey This will save me time on my build
McDannell is offline Find More Posts by McDannell
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:13 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Hey Guys, noob here with a moo’er, thought I would share my findings. First thanks to all you guys for all your great ideas! I bought the Acro last Dec and by Feb I had a MOO! I think it was flight #8. As per this thread I used ply stiffeners and lotsa glue on the motor mounts, even epoxied 2 more cross braces behind the motor, but it still MOO’S. A buddy suggested a slow fly prop and that killed the moo, but I still wanted to fly it w an E prop. Then someone on this thread suggested wood, hence I tried that and came up with some interesting data…….. since the slow fly killed the moo I tried a few others as follows, all balanced, power 15, 50 AMP Castle ICE, g is prop weight in grams…..

APC 12x6 28g MOO MOO
APC 11x6 26g MOO MOO
APC 11x5.5 26g MOO MOO
MAS 11x6 26g MOO MOO

Apprentice 11x8 20g NO MOO
APC 12x3.8 Slo Fly 18g NO MOO
Wood Falcon 12x6 16g NO MOO
Wood XOAR 12x5 16g NO MOO
Wood XOAR 11x6 14g NO MOO
APC 11x4.7 Slo Fly 13g NO MOO
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
my Acro photo

Name: Acrophotos 012.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 251.4 KB
Description: My Acro
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,932 Posts
how do u balance your props?
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
I use the John Redman method w a top flite balancer
HorizonHobby.com How To - Prop Balancing (13 min 41 sec)

I also use clear nail polish for counterweight, seems good on wood props but didnt stay well on nylon props, esp on the blades. I am new to wood, but I must say they are 99% balanced out of the box, esp the one Falcon prop I have....
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:54 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,932 Posts
just wanted to be sure u are balanced in both axis. the hubs are so bad on some i wont even try, read apc aka Almost Perfect Crap.

chuck.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
just wanted to be sure u are balanced in both axis. the hubs are so bad on some i wont even try, read apc aka Almost Perfect Crap.

chuck.
Agreed, APC are crap regarding hub balancing, I bought 6 wood props last week and had them all balanced in less than a hour, one of them required 1 drop of clear nail polish on the hub and it was perfect. I am new to wood props, nice performance and quieter......I also have a bunch of APC so bad I dont want to be bothered trying...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:45 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,932 Posts
master airscrew are a much better choice , the only thing good re the apc is size choices.

chuck.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:44 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
To each his own I guess...I use Master Airscrew to stir paint but not on planes. I've had no issues with the APC-e props I've used however.

If you're set on using wood, it's tough to beat Xoar though, all the Xoar props I've used have required little to no balancing and are MUCH quieter than the MA props which appear to be trying to beat the air into submission!

Be careful using the slo-fly props on a motor that's much over 250W....they're way too flexible to be safe at high power levels. Probably the reason for no "moo" when using them, however.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:42 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,932 Posts
well from a balance standpoint the m/a are in a whole different world than the apc's. the apc s/f are the worst . the centers are visibly off center more often than not.

chuck.