SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:36 AM
IWantToFly
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Jul 2011
145 Posts
thanks robusp! i looked at the numbers of the recommended motor set-up and what mine had, also i looked at the weight of the AcroMaster and that of what my AJ Slick had, and found them to be within the ballpark.

I'm still learning to fly 3d and i'm afraid to fly a balsa wood plane for this. i will probably find a stronger motor for this plane along the way, though.
speedyAK is offline Find More Posts by speedyAK
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:16 AM
IWantToFly
Joined Jul 2011
145 Posts
i've seen it somewhere but i can't remember where i saw it.

there was a link for reinforcing the motor mount using some plywood. i think this even allowed for a forward mounting motor.

another question, is changing out motors with the stock motor mount possible? this is probably a newb question.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:50 AM
IWantToFly
Joined Jul 2011
145 Posts
and are there any upgrades (strengthening) that i can make for this plane that i should know about?
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:36 PM
Love anything RC
Alexandria, Virginia
Joined Mar 2008
3,575 Posts
No expert here but I know people have complain and made reinforcing mods for the nose. See just a page or two back from someone saying something about the year "
2007", he gave the link to a fiberglassing the nose. Other people have put flywood on the nose and I remember correctly it's a few pages AFTER the original post from 2007. In addition to the nose reinforcement, people have replaced the landing gear. I think that's it....
merlin703 is offline Find More Posts by merlin703
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,991 Posts
I will be trying the Fiber Glass in the nose

So far for my build

Have:
Motor: AT2820 1100kv T-Motorhttp://www.clubheli.com/Tiger-Motors-AT-2820-830KV_p_3584.html I know it says 830kv but it will be 1100kv
ESC: http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=87 from ClubHeli
Lipo: a Voltz 2200 45c http://www.rotorquest.com/product_in...ducts_id=13340
Servos:2x HS82mg and 2x HS65mg
Prop: 11x5.5

How does this look so far? and does the hobby king motor mount have the 19mm 25mm.......I think spacing?

Thank you
NaterPin is online now Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:37 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,028 Posts
I know this is a loaded question to ask in the thread for the Acromaster, but I'll ask it anyway.
For those of you that have flown the AM for a while, if you had it to do over again, would you build another one?

I've been reading up on 3D type planes so much I think I know less now than I did before.

I have a Multiplex Fun Cub, and really like the Elapor foam construction. The other big plus for me is that I believe I can use 3s 2200 batteries, which really helps to simplify the battery situation.
Also, it looks like the same motor would work too? (http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb26-rocket-3020-990kv.html)

My other plane choice in this size range would be the Parkzone Extra 300. I've seen them fly in person and they seem to do a good job, but maybe not as floaty/3Dish as what I've seen in the AM videos.

Thanks for your feedback!
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
Hacienda Heights, Ca., USA
Joined Sep 2009
252 Posts
I've built 2. It's a fun plane to fly, but it comes with a lot of baggage when you consider the extra work of re-enforcing the nose section. I don't know anything about the Extra 300. If you decide on the AM go with the lightest setup as possible. Overpowering this plane is unnecessary. If high power setups are what you like there are other planes that are better suited. Take your time with the nose, there is no best solution, some have had no trouble without any mods to the nose. I ended up using fiberglass cloth and ca along with cf rods. It's not perfect(occasional moo), but so far it's worked well. Nick.
Nick9000 is offline Find More Posts by Nick9000
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:11 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
On my 3rd Acromaster, Woody...

I've flown both the AM and the PZ Extra and I'll tell you, there's no contest. The Acromaster wins hands down!

Which is the reason I keep buying them. It's tough as nails if you glass the nose and it's easy to repair when you do tear it up. In fact the only reason I ever replace them is that they start getting heavy from the glue and repairs.

The AM flies more like a balsa 3D plane than any other I've flown and I've learned every move I know on the Acro then moved them over to my wood planes after I've got em' down pat with the Acro.

If you're interested in 3D, then stay away from the PZ extra, it is a sport-scale/precision and is not intended for 3D (check the description, it mentions nothing about 3D capabilities).

Fred
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,028 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the AM. I did see where the nose is a bit of a problem, and was curious about the wood reinforcements that some installed.
Does the nose fail during normal use, or is it the weak spot in a tough landing?

As for over powered, is the motor I linked above a good fit at 990KV? It's kind of big and heavy at 145 grams. Part of my attraction to the AM is what seems to be common electronics with the Fun Cub.

I understand what you are saying RotorJockey on the Extra not being a 3D plane. I think the AM might be a good mix for me in something that can do sport flying, but also do some 3D too.
I have a fast plane, a slow plane and now looking for something to mix it up a bit.
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,991 Posts
Quick question are the inner snakes glue in the outer snakes or do they slide free.?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:26 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
Quick question are the inner snakes glue in the outer snakes or do they slide free.?
Slide free.
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10 Posts
Unless you do what I did and use too much cyano on the outer snakes!
megagrumpy is offline Find More Posts by megagrumpy
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10 Posts
For the nose I use Fiberglass tape for dry wall joints and glue it on with cyano. Lighter than using glass matting and provides additional strength. I lay strips of tape over the whole of the nose section before joining the two halves and then dribble the cyano on it. The tape is self adhesive so holds in place while doing this. Main problem is the amount of cyano and the smell.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,991 Posts
No, cut the lengths wrong one outer is wrong and one inner is a little wrong. feeling a little silly right now. But if the wire sliding only will work I will be fine. Or I will need to find replacement snakes inner and outer

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10 Posts
I have never quite managed to land without bending the undercarriage. I fitted carbon fibre undercarriage and that worked for a while before eventually tearing away and damaging the fuselage. I then developed a mounting arrangement that allowed the undercarriage to break away on a heavy landing which worked quite successfully except for the added weight. I have now bought myself a new Acro and am building it up so that I can fly with the carbon landing gear arranged to break away on a hard landing, or mount it as a dolly gear that falls away on take off or remove it and use the standard wire gear. If it works I will post photos.