HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:57 PM
Parkflyer
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2008
661 Posts
Great flying Lonelasso...

My AM shipped from Horizon... should be here by the first of next week.

I am VERY open to suggestions as far as set up.

Motor
ESC
Prop
Servos

I have a Power 10 and a Hobby Wing 60A ESC and an assortment of props...

But, I wanna take my time building this plane, do all the stuff to it that you guys have already figured out. That's the great beauty of this forum... people have already modded their planes, figured out what works and what doesn't work...

I'm gonna use this plane to practice mild 3D flying... and just enjoy it. I'm also looking forward to my own custom paint scheme...

any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Gang!

Cheers,

Darren (KR)
KiltedRanger is offline Find More Posts by KiltedRanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:59 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
Can you give me any tips on how you made them look so good? I love the way the tail just flips around the fuse so fast
First of all...I can't take credit for the flying That is Matt (Daloaf) showing how it's DONE ! Of course, mine is capable of VERY tight flips and CG is very important, as well as MAX throw on the elevator My lipo is slightly forward of the wing tube (had it down in the nose, but didn't like that )...basically sitting right over the wing tube. I used the plywood re-enforcement in the nose, as it added some weight on the nose. But, using the Omega 103G from 3DHobbyshop, it's lighter than the Himax by 20 or so grams.

Here's vid of mine BEFORE I put the lipo over the wing tube

Eddie takes a pull on the Acromaster @ TT (7 min 32 sec)
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedRanger
Great flying Lonelasso...

My AM shipped from Horizon... should be here by the first of next week.

I am VERY open to suggestions as far as set up.

Motor
ESC
Prop
Servos

I have a Power 10 and a Hobby Wing 60A ESC and an assortment of props...

But, I wanna take my time building this plane, do all the stuff to it that you guys have already figured out. That's the great beauty of this forum... people have already modded their planes, figured out what works and what doesn't work...

I'm gonna use this plane to practice mild 3D flying... and just enjoy it. I'm also looking forward to my own custom paint scheme...

any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Gang!

Cheers,

Darren (KR)
Hiya Darren !!,
Been awhile man ! Here's my setup

Currently using 13x6.5 APC (xoar 13x7 in vid)
Omega 103G 1030kv
HS-65 x 2 ailerons
HS-82mg tail
3S 2200 25C
AR 500 RX
CC BEC @ 6V
Re-enforced nose, CF gear mounted to custom landing gear plate.

I'll try and get new vid of mine soon ! Let me know if I can help !

Dave
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:22 PM
Parkflyer
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2008
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
Hiya Darren !!,
Been awhile man ! Here's my setup

Currently using 13x6.5 APC (xoar 13x7 in vid)
Omega 103G 1030kv
HS-65 x 2 ailerons
HS-82mg tail
3S 2200 25C
AR 500 RX
CC BEC @ 6V
Re-enforced nose, CF gear mounted to custom landing gear plate.

I'll try and get new vid of mine soon ! Let me know if I can help !

Dave
Thanks Dave... the servos are exactly what I plan to run. Batt packs too since I have gobs of them. I have a spare AR-6200 Rx here, so that will be the Rx I use. I looked at the specs of that Omega 10... very nice indeed. Since it works in your plane, with no issues, I will most likely just grab one. I have a spare HobbyWing 60A ESC that I was gonna use in my 450, but that has been shelved for a while.

Glad to see you are still enjoying things... I just got back from the Sandbox about a month or so ago... now, I found a new love... PLANES!!! Who'd-a-thunk it?

Cheers Mate!

Darren
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:30 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdam
Your not kidding, the Rudder just doesnt seem to hold at all. Cant hover this plane at all, it dives when giving rudder commands, and just can barley hold i knife edge without laying on the power. Perhaps I built mine too heavy, but it flies the same on Phoenix Sim.
I had some coupling issues depending on where I put the battery. For some odd reason I could not find the sweet spot with a 2100 mAh battery. I could hover with it just fine but had some pitch coupling.

I primarily use a 3200 mAh battery in mine. I don't have any issues with KE in either direction, no issues hovering either. I have some very mild roll coupling with the 3200 mAh battery. I don't use a mix it is easy to fly through it.

It seems to have plenty of rudder authority for me as well. The Acromaster gives me the tightest flat spins of any of my planes and that is very dependent on rudder. My flat spins are completely axial. Upright and inverted.
SonyVegasUser is offline Find More Posts by SonyVegasUser
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dave... the servos are exactly what I plan to run. Batt packs too since I have gobs of them. I have a spare AR-6200 Rx here, so that will be the Rx I use. I looked at the specs of that Omega 10... very nice indeed. Since it works in your plane, with no issues, I will most likely just grab one. I have a spare HobbyWing 60A ESC that I was gonna use in my 450, but that has been shelved for a while.

Glad to see you are still enjoying things... I just got back from the Sandbox about a month or so ago... now, I found a new love... PLANES!!! Who'd-a-thunk it?

Cheers Mate!

Darren
How long were you deployed ? Yeah, same for me..3Ding PLANES ! Chris (justplanechris) is responsible !! He said it would help with heli flying and he was RIGHT !
The 103G will need a 4mm collet prop adapter and stubby 2mm screws...if you need help, let me know.

Dave
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:39 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Quote:

Cheers Mate!

Darren
Darren, you will love this plane I fly mine as much as I can it is always ready to go. I use the same batt's that I use in my 450's the 2200's here is a pic.
I glued some EPP in the nose and have not had any problems.

JD
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:49 PM
Parkflyer
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2008
661 Posts
I appreicate all of the input... I really look forward to building this plane. I have watched just about every video on Youtube concerning this AM... and as much as I am enjoying my PZ Corsair... I already know this AM will become my favorite. It's just so versatile... you can go from mild to WILD with this guy.

Once I get some hours on this AM... I think I will be ready to move up to a Balsa plane. I really like that E Flite Pulse... but, I am feeling the tug of Nitro. Now that I have my AMA license, and a member of the flying field, I will have a place to fly a gasser later on.

I do love the electrics though... so quiet, and you can pretty much fly them anywhere.

I'll go back to lurking now. Once I start the build on this plane, I'm sure I will have some dumb questions if I can't find the answer.

Cheers!!!

Darren
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:55 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
I appreicate all of the input... I really look forward to building this plane. I have watched just about every video on Youtube concerning this AM... and as much as I am enjoying my PZ Corsair... I already know this AM will become my favorite. It's just so versatile... you can go from mild to WILD with this guy.

Once I get some hours on this AM... I think I will be ready to move up to a Balsa plane. I really like that E Flite Pulse... but, I am feeling the tug of Nitro. Now that I have my AMA license, and a member of the flying field, I will have a place to fly a gasser later on.

I do love the electrics though... so quiet, and you can pretty much fly them anywhere.

I'll go back to lurking now. Once I start the build on this plane, I'm sure I will have some dumb questions if I can't find the answer.

Cheers!!!

Darren
Darren.
When you decide to step up to balsa, you can NOT go wrong with 3DHobbyshop !! Excellent planes, great support ! I've flown the Velox (gotta get it repaired ) and have the 51" Slick (yellow). Not enough space to describe just how much I love 3DHS !!!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:30 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:

Cheers!!!

Darren
You will find that the AM flies very similar to many of the 45-47" balsa planes that it will be a easy transition for you. Most of the 3DHS planes do fly better than the AM (especially in the harrier), but use the AM to build your confidence up and practice landings (with some throttle on). My AM has maybe 400 flights on it and I just can't bring myself to retire it as it's just so much fun to fly and not have to worry about crashing it.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:39 AM
Joined Jun 2008
80 Posts
Does anyone has a picture of how i should reinforce the head?
SpoonEK is offline Find More Posts by SpoonEK
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:34 PM
Derby, UK
Joined Nov 2004
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonEK
My kit didn't come with the toilet option...

Seriously, check the photos and scroll back through them to find inspiration for whichever part you'er referring to.
Daddymonkey is offline Find More Posts by Daddymonkey
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:34 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonEK

My kit didn't come with the toilet option...

Seriously, check the photos and scroll back through them to find inspiration for whichever part you'er referring to.
Yep, I definitely agree with that recommendation.

SpoonEK,

If you have not used the attachment viewer before just click on any photo and keep going backwards 5 at a time until you see pictures of how people have re-inforced their nose. I was just doing that earlier to do some of the work for you and give you links to particular messages but there are too many variations for me to do that work for you. There seem to be about 5 different variations on how people strengthened the nose.

Once you see one that you like, make note of the date the photo was uploaded and who posted it. Then use the search function (or just pick pages until you get the right date range) to search only this thread for posts that that user has made. That way you can see any text for how they described how they reinforced the nose.

Mike
SonyVegasUser is offline Find More Posts by SonyVegasUser
Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:44 AM
Joined Jun 2008
80 Posts
Thank you very much Mike! Found those pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVegasUser
Yep, I definitely agree with that recommendation.

SpoonEK,

If you have not used the attachment viewer before just click on any photo and keep going backwards 5 at a time until you see pictures of how people have re-inforced their nose. I was just doing that earlier to do some of the work for you and give you links to particular messages but there are too many variations for me to do that work for you. There seem to be about 5 different variations on how people strengthened the nose.

Once you see one that you like, make note of the date the photo was uploaded and who posted it. Then use the search function (or just pick pages until you get the right date range) to search only this thread for posts that that user has made. That way you can see any text for how they described how they reinforced the nose.

Mike
SpoonEK is offline Find More Posts by SpoonEK
Old Oct 17, 2009, 05:17 AM
Derby, UK
Joined Nov 2004
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVegasUser

If you have not used the attachment viewer before just click on any photo and keep going backwards 5 at a time until you see pictures of how people have re-inforced their nose.

Mike
Its even easier than that, Mike. When you've clicked on the picture you're interested in, the breadcrumbs or links>path appears at the top of the page. The last link in black text is to the photo but the last hyperlink is to the specific post, so all you need do is click on that link to find the text. Hope that helps.

Sorry about the wisecrack - I am a grown-up really, just not at heart.

Nigel
Daddymonkey is offline Find More Posts by Daddymonkey