HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:28 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedRanger
Mine is on it's way. Ordered it from Horizon... it was a toss up between this plane and the Parkmaster... I decided because I already have a few motors / esc's that I can use on this plane, as well as a ton of 2200 mAh batts both 25C and 30C.

I plan on powering it with an E Flite Power 10, and a Hobby Wing 60A ESC. I have the Power 10 and a GForce E480 to choose from, I think the Power 10 will make a better choice for this plane.

I have read this entire thread, and saw the weaknesses that people make note of. Before I assemble the Fuse... I will definitely reinforce the nose area.

With the Power 10 set up, what would you recommend as a starting point as far as props go? I have a Watt meter, so I can make sure the Amps/Watts/Volts are within range...

Here's the specs on the GForce motor... am I on track thinking the Power 10 would be a better choice?

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...id=1&item_id=7
Be careful!

Started mine off with a Power 10. By the time I got comfortable sport flying it with some light 3D, the Power 10 burned up on me.

The stats on the power 10 look good, but the truth is there are alot better motors out there that are lighter and more powerful than the 10.

Fred
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2009, 05:29 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey
Be careful!

Started mine off with a Power 10. By the time I got comfortable sport flying it with some light 3D, the Power 10 burned up on me.

The stats on the power 10 look good, but the truth is there are alot better motors out there that are lighter and more powerful than the 10.

Fred
If you're looking for motor alternatives I have the Himax but if ever it went I'd probably try one of these
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_eq:_AXi_2820
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:12 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,615 Posts
Does anybody run a 12 x 6 prop with the recommended Himax C 3511-1130 motor and if so any idea's what the amp draw is etc / is it too much for the motor ???
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:58 AM
SHP: Super Harrier Practice
FRANCE
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
I never tried it and I will not...
Even with the 11*5.5 prop, the motor gets pretty warm.
Zeke_val is offline Find More Posts by Zeke_val
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:39 AM
Parkflyer
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2008
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
If you're looking for motor alternatives I have the Himax but if ever it went I'd probably try one of these
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_eq:_AXi_2820
I may take your advice on this motor here... looks like it's right in the power range I am looking for.

Once I start my build up, I most likely will be seeking advice. I'm researching now how to build up the nose to make it stronger...

Looking forward to this plane!
KiltedRanger is offline Find More Posts by KiltedRanger
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:03 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
Does anybody run a 12 x 6 prop with the recommended Himax C 3511-1130 motor and if so any idea's what the amp draw is etc / is it too much for the motor ???
Yep, I have run a 12x6 with Himax 3511-1130. I have no idea what the amp draw is but it does get very hot. Just looking at the data sheet that comes with the motor shows it goes over the Himax's amp draw limit very quickly with a 12x6 prop. So, you can look up the current draw on that graph. If you don't have the motor, Himax has a download of the manual on their web site.

However, it flies really well with a 12x6 prop. So that is a real bummer that it is killing the motor. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten a Torque 2818-900. It can spin a bigger prop and without going outside its thermal envelope.

I think Multiplex / Himax should either build a better motor or change their recommended setup to the Torque or some other motor that can spin a larger prop.
SonyVegasUser is offline Find More Posts by SonyVegasUser
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:29 PM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVegasUser
Yep, I have run a 12x6 with Himax 3511-1130. I have no idea what the amp draw is but it does get very hot. Just looking at the data sheet that comes with the motor shows it goes over the Himax's amp draw limit very quickly with a 12x6 prop. So, you can look up the current draw on that graph. If you don't have the motor, Himax has a download of the manual on their web site.

However, it flies really well with a 12x6 prop. So that is a real bummer that it is killing the motor. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten a Torque 2818-900. It can spin a bigger prop and without going outside its thermal envelope.

I think Multiplex / Himax should either build a better motor or change their recommended setup to the Torque or some other motor that can spin a larger prop.
Many thanks for that - useful info, I've one of these http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...er_eq:_AXi_2820
that I bought for another plane but it was too heavy for the other plane but is the same weight as the Himax so think I'll try it in this now as it'll certainly take at least a 12 x 6.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:31 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
878 Posts
Anybody try enlarging the rudder on the acromaster? Yeah the rudder is effective it just requires so much throw. Another thing is I am wonder if a larger rudder would help yaw stability it high alpha and hover.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:05 AM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
I need a set of wing tubes. They must've fallen out of my trailer.

Anyone know where I can find a set?

Fred
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:08 AM
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,035 Posts
Where can you get a good acromaster kit. Do they have one out and how much are they. I'm ready to build my 2nd one.
zagimon is offline Find More Posts by zagimon
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:12 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagimon
Where can you get a good acromaster kit. Do they have one out and how much are they. I'm ready to build my 2nd one.
This where I got mine. The raw price is not that competitive but I buy a lot of supplies from them. So, they always have discount codes you can put in that can really bring the price down.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNXV7&P=ML
SonyVegasUser is offline Find More Posts by SonyVegasUser
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:39 AM
Downtown Minneapolis
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2009
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974
Anybody try enlarging the rudder on the acromaster? Yeah the rudder is effective it just requires so much throw. Another thing is I am wonder if a larger rudder would help yaw stability it high alpha and hover.
Your not kidding, the Rudder just doesnt seem to hold at all. Cant hover this plane at all, it dives when giving rudder commands, and just can barley hold i knife edge without laying on the power. Perhaps I built mine too heavy, but it flies the same on Phoenix Sim.
iAdam is offline Find More Posts by iAdam
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:45 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey
I need a set of wing tubes. They must've fallen out of my trailer.

Anyone know where I can find a set?

Fred
Check your PM box !
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:55 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdam
Your not kidding, the Rudder just doesnt seem to hold at all. Cant hover this plane at all, it dives when giving rudder commands, and just can barley hold i knife edge without laying on the power. Perhaps I built mine too heavy, but it flies the same on Phoenix Sim.
Are you using a mix ? I can fly KE both directions with no problems at all, so there is something else causing rudder issues (it has plenty of authority as is....IMHO).

Matt reviewed it in Feburary '08:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/membe...u=79699&page=2

And here's vid of Matt (Daloaf).....observe the KE snaps !

Multiplex Acromaster (4 min 43 sec)
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Last edited by Lonelasso; Oct 14, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:46 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
iAdam: I have to agree with Lonelasso. This is one of the best planes in it's class for KE thanks to the large side area. It's not the ParkMaster, but far better than most. Could your CG be on the tail heavy side? That could require more rudder or speed to KE. I keep my CG where I require almost no elevator inverted or upright and I can do slow, high-alpha KE all the way down the field at about half throttle.

Lonelasso: I LOVE your waterfalls you did in the video around the 3:58 mark! I can't seem to get them that tight. Can you give me any tips on how you made them look so good? I love the way the tail just flips around the fuse so fast
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer