HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2009, 10:31 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEFlyer
Well you'll have manage your throttle and don't fly at full throttle for more than 15 sec. Sounds like you're managing that already. Specs say a max 48 amps at 15 sec with the 11x5.5 prop. You'll hit that much sooner with the 12 x 6. Check the temperature of your engine when you land the plane. I would say if it is too hot for you to touch and you're managing the throttle, you should prop back down to the 11x5.5. If you want to fly with 12x6 prop, then the Torque 2818-900 might be a better choice as it flies with 12x6 and 13x6.5 props. If that is too expensive, then maybe an Omega 103 from 3DHobbyShop.
Thanks for the tip!! I forgot about doing something simple like putting my finger on the motor and seeing how hot it is . I will do that today when I fly.

I realize now that I should have bought a Torque or some other motor. Unfortunately, I am stuck with this motor for a while. I recently had a mishap and had the original Himax motor's wires come through the front air inlet and get abused by the prop. So, this motor is only a couple of weeks old and only has 10 flights on it or so. So that and the fact that I just spent a lot of money buying a 3DHS 57" Extra 330 SC means that I should lay off buying more RC parts for a while. (Don't want to eat into my emergency fund)

But if I could rewind time, I definitely would go with the Torque Motor.

Thanks again!
SonyVegasUser is offline Find More Posts by SonyVegasUser
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:54 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Yep, the motor is quite hot. I guess i will prop down.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 03:09 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,575 Posts
Precision Aerobatics also have a smaller motor called Thrust 30 than my Thrust 40. I think 105grams and the same weight as the Torque. Check their website and the power and thrust you get from these motors.
tritan is online now Find More Posts by tritan
Old Sep 07, 2009, 04:03 PM
Aspiring Weekend Flyer:-)
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVegasUser
Yep, the motor is quite hot. I guess i will prop down.
Yes, probably better prop down particularly since you're low on funds. Don't want to destroy this motor.

Good luck with 3DHS 57" Extra 330 SC. No doubt it will be a nice plane. The Acro Master will be nice to practice new maneuvers on before trying them out on the Extra.
WEFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WEFlyer
Old Sep 07, 2009, 07:43 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
I was tired of burning up bearings in my Scorpion motor.

I just put this motor in mine.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

I'm running it with a 3S 2250mah pack, a 45amp ESC and a 12x6 APC prop. It comes down just slightly warm, has strong vertical, hovers at about 2/3 throttle and best of all it was only 33 bucks!

Fred
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Sep 07, 2009, 08:12 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey
I was tired of burning up bearings in my Scorpion motor.

I just put this motor in mine.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

I'm running it with a 3S 2250mah pack, a 45amp ESC and a 12x6 APC prop. It comes down just slightly warm, has strong vertical, hovers at about 2/3 throttle and best of all it was only 33 bucks!

Fred
Wow, that is a good price. I may have to look into that. How many flights do you have on it / how durable do you think it is?
Old Sep 07, 2009, 08:24 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVegasUser
Wow, that is a good price. I may have to look into that. How many flights do you have on it / how durable do you think it is?
Only about a half-dozen flights on this particular motor so far as I just bought it, but I have bought several of these motors of various sizes and have had very few problems.

I have one on my E-Flite Edge 540BP that I have literally hundreds of flights, several crashes and 2 ARFs and it is still going strong.

Fred
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:06 AM
The flying spanish man
Mojacar-Almeria-Spain
Joined Sep 2009
10 Posts
another problematical Acromaster

I have the acromaster, but since I bought it, it has been nothing but problems, large vibrations at half throttle, and cheap stuff from hobby king.(falty motor) I can not wait to get new motor and in the mean time I am trying to glass nose (already glued together), use carbon fiber rods on the side, reinforce engine mount, put motor mount on with 6 screws instead of 2, etc...... then I shall check motor, prop and prop adapter to see where the problem is..
speedygonzalez is offline Find More Posts by speedygonzalez
Last edited by speedygonzalez; Sep 11, 2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:13 AM
The flying spanish man
Mojacar-Almeria-Spain
Joined Sep 2009
10 Posts
I am sure I will enjoy, motor went for 4/6 min and apart from large vibrations at half throt... the plain just glided as if it was on rails.

I am sure this plain will be fun. the guys at my club saw my Acromaster and now we have 3 in the club. (the other 2 are under build)
Last edited by speedygonzalez; Sep 11, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:17 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Check the screws in the plastic motor mount parts. I picked up vibs in mine and eventually troubleshot it down to screws that had backed out some. Also make sure your thrust alignment screws allow the mount to sit flat with no wobble. This can induce vibs too.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:25 PM
The flying spanish man
Mojacar-Almeria-Spain
Joined Sep 2009
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Check the screws in the plastic motor mount parts. I picked up vibs in mine and eventually troubleshot it down to screws that had backed out some. Also make sure your thrust alignment screws allow the mount to sit flat with no wobble. This can induce vibs too.

Ok, thanks, I had thought this could be part of the problem, I once read that someone has mounted the E.mount with 6 screws by drilling the 4 that are used for thrust and got thrust by puting washers behind screws and that had helped.

I intend to read all the post on here, I am now on page 150 of 280. but the more I read the more confused I become as it does not seem everybody gets the vibrations from the same place and all different solutions have been found. I guess I shall just have to experiment with my own ACRO and see for me selve. I hate having to mess about with the plains.

Its off to bed now, tommorrow is sunday and its flying day (but it will have to be the PT19 or glow easytrainer, as the acromaster must stay in the garage once again.)

good flight to you guys.....

Dany
Old Sep 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzalez

the more I read the more confused I become as it does not seem everybody gets the vibrations from the same place and all different solutions have been found. I guess I shall just have to experiment with my own ACRO and see for me selve. I hate having to mess about with the plains.
Yep, I had the same frustrations. I still get the vibration back from time to time. Initially the plywood motor mount that I put in stopped it but then it came back. Now, I routinely check the tightness of all of the screws and sometimes it still comes back. I am about to try the duct tape padding behind the screws to see if that dampens any remaining sources of vibration that I get.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:34 AM
The flying spanish man
Mojacar-Almeria-Spain
Joined Sep 2009
10 Posts
such a nice plain to fly, 2 0r 3 years on the market and Multiplex still have not done anything about it ? I do not understand. But This has been said many times on this forum, I guess they just look at there world sales Nrs and dont care about the rest.

The german perfectionisme and pride is letting us down here.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:07 AM
Downtown Minneapolis
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2009
197 Posts
Prop selection??

Hey guys, which props are you using in your Acros? Sf or E?

I am running a 42-40B 900kv Turnigy with a 12x6e prop and generally I am happy. Seems a great balance of thrust and speed. I just got a couple of 12x6sf props and they are quite different shape. I understand they will draw more amps. Currently I am at around 24amps, motor can handle 35 continuous and I got a 60amp esc? I am looking for more thrust without sacrificing speed. I tried a 13x4 prop and thrust was good but too slow. Any suggestions?
iAdam is offline Find More Posts by iAdam
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:59 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
iAdam, definitely try a 13x6.5 APC-e...I have run that same prop on that TGY motor and it works great, especially since you have plenty of ESC capacity.

NO WAY I would use SF props at +300W...
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon