HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2009, 07:48 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumberjer
Meaning no need for screw or any means of mechanism to lock the wing..just push in to the fuse..I don't feel secure with such assembly. I think better I make some lock nut and screw to at least hold the wing. Afraid might fall off during flight.
When it is brand new the interlocking pieces are very tight and keep it in place.

The wings will stay in there just fine until you have a couple of hard crashes. Then the friction fit starts to get a little less tight.

I had a crash from 55 feet up straight down and another spinning crash from a similar height. Both crashes were because I struck a tree. Only after that second crash did I feel like I needed a fastener on the wings.

I just put 2 dry wall screws straight down into each wing under the canopy after they loosened up.
SonyVegasUser is offline Find More Posts by SonyVegasUser
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2009, 06:07 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I use 2 skewers poked through from under the canopy, through the wing, into the fuse on the bottom. Similarly, mine were plenty tight in the beginning, but several flights (and crashes) later, one or both wings would wiggle out 1/4-1/2" during flight. Never lost one, but got concerned... no problems since doing the skewer thing.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Sep 03, 2009, 11:31 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
I did the skewer thing like Gene but with some spar CF rods and have had great luck with it. After you've push the skewer through the foam, I'd suggest stiffining up the foam holes with some thin CA, much like people do with servo screw holes in balsa. Otherwise, these foam holes will begin to enlarge. The CA hardened them and this setup works great and is easy to install/deinstall.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Sep 03, 2009, 11:42 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
I did the skewer thing like Gene but with some spar CF rods and have had great luck with it. After you've push the skewer through the foam, I'd suggest stiffining up the foam holes with some thin CA, much like people do with servo screw holes in balsa. Otherwise, these foam holes will begin to enlarge. The CA hardened them and this setup works great and is easy to install/deinstall.

Alan
I was planning on going the CF route as well. However, I was walking outside to put the plane in the air and I was too impatient to go back inside and cut the rod that was sitting on my desk.

I was standing next to a bucket of dry wall screws and thought.... hmm... this will get me in the air faster. I should probably go back and replace the screws with the CF rod
Old Sep 03, 2009, 01:18 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,353 Posts
Anybody else using the Thrust 40 from Precision Aerobatics?
Must say the motor is extraordinary!

Very long flight times (3S 2200mAh) doing F3A aerobatics, no 3D.

Cool, efficient - no, I am not a rep for PA .... just happens to like the motor!
Before I had a Torque 2812/900 but it didnt had enough power (for me).

Take a look here: http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/category.php?cid=9

and here: http://www.thrustmotors.com/

/tritan
tritan is online now Find More Posts by tritan
Old Sep 03, 2009, 02:19 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan
Anybody else using the Thrust 40 from Precision Aerobatics?
Must say the motor is extraordinary!

Very long flight times (3S 2200mAh) doing F3A aerobatics, no 3D.

Cool, efficient - no, I am not a rep for PA .... just happens to like the motor!
Before I had a Torque 2812/900 but it didnt had enough power (for me).

Take a look here: http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/category.php?cid=9

and here: http://www.thrustmotors.com/

/tritan
I have a Thrust 30 in my Precision Aerobatics Extra 260. I toyed with the idea of putting it in the Acromaster. It spins a much bigger prop than the Multiplex recommended Himax 3516-1130. The Thrust 30 does a great job in the PA 260 and can have very long run times and spinning a 13 inch prop. The Thrust 40 is a more powerful motor and weighs around the same as the Himax. My only concern would be whether the Acromaster airframe can take the power and torque produced by the Thrust 40. If you haven't already, fiberglass the nose to make it stronger or use a plywood motor mount before using the Thrust 40. Even then I would be careful with how often and how hard you push the model to the motor's extremes.

-Mike
Old Sep 03, 2009, 02:36 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,431 Posts
I currently run my AM on a Torque 2818 900kv and APC 13x6.5 setup and with all of the newer packs, it has a ton of power. I run a Thrust 40 in my AMR and I think it would be overpowering the AM. But then again, sometimes that can be fun. But I agree with Sony, you will have to do something to reinforce the nose if you plan on running 400+ watts through this airframe.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Sep 06, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 12:28 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,353 Posts
I have of course the fiberglass nose - the reason to put the Thrust 40 in the AM was to have to have that surplus power available now and then. The motor is so smooth and powerful that I very seldom use full power. But its nice to have that ballistic force sometimes.......

I would say that it has about 2:1 thust. I have also changed to the new Hyperion G3 CX25 3S 2200mAh - very nice batteries.

Precision Aerobatics now have some wooden props called VOX they recommend for their motors - will try a couple of these soon.

Note: I highly recommend to balance your props even if its a new APC. I always use a magnetic balancer beacuse no prop so far has had a perfect balance. Maybe thats why I never had any issues with my AM?

EDIT: no issues except that stupid landing gear with those tiny wheels which are unusable on normal grass ....

Acromaster
Thust 40
APC 13X6,5e
Hyperion G3 CX25 3S 2200mAh
4x HS-5065MG
AR 6100e
JR DSX9
tritan is online now Find More Posts by tritan
Last edited by tritan; Sep 04, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:04 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVegasUser
I have a Thrust 30 in my Precision Aerobatics Extra 260. I toyed with the idea of putting it in the Acromaster. It spins a much bigger prop than the Multiplex recommended Himax 3516-1130. The Thrust 30 does a great job in the PA 260 and can have very long run times and spinning a 13 inch prop. The Thrust 40 is a more powerful motor and weighs around the same as the Himax. My only concern would be whether the Acromaster airframe can take the power and torque produced by the Thrust 40. If you haven't already, fiberglass the nose to make it stronger or use a plywood motor mount before using the Thrust 40. Even then I would be careful with how often and how hard you push the model to the motor's extremes.

-Mike
The way you keep mentioning PA products in Muliplex threads it would be very easy for someone to get the wrong idea and think you were associated with PA, the knock on effect being you totally discredit their products especially when they're rubbish (in my opinion) compared to Multiplex !!!!
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Sep 04, 2009, 07:59 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
The way you keep mentioning PA products in Muliplex threads it would be very easy for someone to get the wrong idea and think you were associated with PA, the knock on effect being you totally discredit their products especially when they're rubbish (in my opinion) compared to Multiplex !!!!
I do not work for nor am I associated with PA. I am not sure why it is offensive to you that I mention PA. The user's question just happened to have been about a PA product - The Thrust Motor.

Except for the perceptions of a small percentage of readers. I really don't think any of my comments will discredit PA. I happen to really like my PA product.

Rubbish is a very strong word to describe PA. In comparison to the Acromaster which needed a couple of modifications to fix design flaws, my PA Extra didn't need any modifications and actually does fly better than the Acromaster in a couple of scenarios. Less coupling in KE etc, easier / more vertical elevator drops.

The Acromaster flies really good as well. If flies better than the Art Tech, ParkZone, Hobbico and Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D FlightFlex EP ARF 33.5" planes that I either destroyed or leave sitting on a shelf because I can't stand flying them. It is also incredibly durable. I have smacked trees / the ground VERY hard on 2 occations and had no significant damage to the plane. This would have destroyed my PA 260 or any balsa plane for that matter.

Every day after work I go out and get at least one flight in with both planes.

I will probably be just as likely to mention 3D Hobby Shop after my new 57" 3DHS Extra 330 SC arrives in a couple of weeks. Additionally, I plan to buy an Extreme Flight Extra 300 next year. So, I may very well start mentioning Extreme Flight as well if I feel the comments are relevant. For instance, I posted in other Threads that the Acromaster is a great plane to buy and use based on the poster's original question because the situation and context seemed to warrant a mention of the Multiplex Acromaster.

I thought this was a forum to talk to fellow pilots and share information openly and honestly. I didn't realize that I had to be careful of "religious" tensions and that I had to restrict my comments exclusively to positive comments about the manufacturer that the thread is about. Even when the question that comes up IS about another manufacturer's product.

I will keep that in mind going forward.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:14 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,429 Posts
Quote:
It is a very nice plane and can take a surprising beating. I really like it a lot. However, as far as best plane in its size goes it may be close but not the best. The Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 is only a couple of inches bigger in wing span and a couple of inches shorter in length. I like the PA 260 a LOT better. That plane really makes me look like I know what I am doing. It has a lot less wing rock than the Acromaster when hovering in the wind and is a lot more precise.

Once again the AM is a great plane but try a PA 260 as well. I think you will enjoy it even more.
SonyVegusUser
Not being funny but along with this comment as well you're in a Multiplex thread favouring other manaufacturers products over theirs on more than one occasion - I don't think it's unreasonable to question the motivation behind it.
Now if you want to start a totally new thread PA Extra 260 Vs Mulitiplex Acromaster as a discussion or if you have a problem with the Acromaster and wish to discuss that in here thats another story but personally I wouldn't "appear" to be promoting another manufactuers products on more than one occasion in a specific thread.
Just my 2 C's worth.
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:38 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
SonyVegusUser
Not being funny but along with this comment as well you're in a Multiplex thread favouring other manaufacturers products over theirs on more than one occasion - I don't think it's unreasonable to question the motivation behind it.
Now if you want to start a totally new thread PA Extra 260 Vs Mulitiplex Acromaster as a discussion or if you have a problem with the Acromaster and wish to discuss that in here thats another story but personally I wouldn't "appear" to be promoting another manufactuers products on more than one occasion in a specific thread.
Just my 2 C's worth.
The 2nd quote that you grabbed of mine was in response to a statement from another poster that made an assertion about Acromaster in relation to other planes in that size range. I am not going to start up a new thread to respond to another user's comment that frankly invited comparison with other planes.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:38 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Does anyone fly the Acromaster with Himax 3516-1130 and a 12x6 prop? If so, how long can you do that before you burn the motor out?

The manual says that the 12x6 on 3S will put too much current through the motor pretty quickly. But it just flies so much better with the 12x6 than an 11x5.5. I fly it at about half throttle peaking at about 2/3 throttle. I don't have a current meter to see how much it pulls at that level. I was just wondering if someone else has experience.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 08:48 AM
Aspiring Weekend Flyer:-)
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone fly the Acromaster with Himax 3516-1130 and a 12x6 prop? If so, how long can you do that before you burn the motor out?

The manual says that the 12x6 on 3S will put too much current through the motor pretty quickly. But it just flies so much better with the 12x6 than an 11x5.5. I fly it at about half throttle peaking at about 2/3 throttle. I don't have a current meter to see how much it pulls at that level. I was just wondering if someone else has experience.
Well you'll have manage your throttle and don't fly at full throttle for more than 15 sec. Sounds like you're managing that already. Specs say a max 48 amps at 15 sec with the 11x5.5 prop. You'll hit that much sooner with the 12 x 6. Check the temperature of your engine when you land the plane. I would say if it is too hot for you to touch and you're managing the throttle, you should prop back down to the 11x5.5. If you want to fly with 12x6 prop, then the Torque 2818-900 might be a better choice as it flies with 12x6 and 13x6.5 props. If that is too expensive, then maybe an Omega 103 from 3DHobbyShop.
WEFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WEFlyer
Last edited by WEFlyer; Sep 06, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 09:18 AM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
746 Posts
Does anyone fly an Acromaster with ONLY multiplex equipment?

Multiplex Acromaster
multiplex transmitter
multiplex servos
multiplex amp meter
multiplex screwdrivers
multiplex esc
multiplex battery
multiplex prop
multiplex shirt
multiplex cap
multiplex jacket
Do they make socks?? lol

I personally feel ANY comparisons are helpful and welcome.

$0.02

Chris
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104