HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2009, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdk
whats this goop people are talking about in this thread?
http://www.biosafe-inc.com/plumbing.htm
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:22 AM
kdk
NJ USA
Joined Mar 2005
293 Posts
ah thanks Xnaron, i know goop as a hand cleaner so i was wondering how the heck people were using it
kdk is offline Find More Posts by kdk
Old Aug 07, 2009, 05:28 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Anyone interested in used Acro Master?

I would like to sell mine with servos, motor, esc or airframe only. It needs nose reinforcement. Send me a PM.

Thanks,

Chris
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:49 AM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
169 Posts
Moo No More

My AM has a lightly glassed interior of the nose and a reinforced motor mount (extra interior struts), always using a balanced prop. Made lots of noise, this terrible "mooing" sound everyone talks about - which bummed me out.

I decided that the best culprit for this sound is the mating surface between the ring motor mount and the 2 mounts on either side of the fuselage, where the thrust-adjust screws contact the 2 mounts. I theorized that the screws were "chattering" against their seats on these 2 mounts. I padded the seat of each thrust adjusting screw with a tiny patch of duct tape. This forms a cushion for the screws, and the result is an absolutely silent, vibration-free airframe.

NO MORE MOO!

I stripped the 2 motor mount screws, so I swapped them out for slightly larger, coarser-thread, wood screws. These screws I believe are stronger and hold the mount and thrust-adjust screws tighter against the now-padded screw/mount seat.
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:06 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseOf4Doors
My AM has a lightly glassed interior of the nose and a reinforced motor mount (extra interior struts), always using a balanced prop. Made lots of noise, this terrible "mooing" sound everyone talks about - which bummed me out.

I decided that the best culprit for this sound is the mating surface between the ring motor mount and the 2 mounts on either side of the fuselage, where the thrust-adjust screws contact the 2 mounts. I theorized that the screws were "chattering" against their seats on these 2 mounts. I padded the seat of each thrust adjusting screw with a tiny patch of duct tape. This forms a cushion for the screws, and the result is an absolutely silent, vibration-free airframe.

NO MORE MOO!

I stripped the 2 motor mount screws, so I swapped them out for slightly larger, coarser-thread, wood screws. These screws I believe are stronger and hold the mount and thrust-adjust screws tighter against the now-padded screw/mount seat.
Thanks for the tip. I will try "padding" the screws on mine too. I hate that vibration. I have been trying all kinds of things to get rid of it. I used plywood inside the cowl to strengthen it and balanced my props as well. Same issue from time to time.

I also have a hard time with their "stock" equipment. I think the plane performs best with a 12 inch prop but the stock motor exceeds its current limits with a 12x6 prop.

I is a great little durable airplane that just needed a few tweaks in the design before they released it to be a great airplane.
SonyVegasUser is offline Find More Posts by SonyVegasUser
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:11 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
I used velcro strips where they meet You might need to 'mortice' or notch one side so the strip is flush. Try it first...if you're happy, use hotmelt to hold strips permanently !
I used plain old 1 1/4 inch dry wall screws. I put them straight down through the fuselage into each wing under the canopy.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:21 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdam
All the research paid off, this IS the best flying plane in its size, period.
It is a very nice plane and can take a surprising beating. I really like it a lot. However, as far as best plane in its size goes it may be close but not the best. The Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 is only a couple of inches bigger in wing span and a couple of inches shorter in length. I like the PA 260 a LOT better. That plane really makes me look like I know what I am doing. It has a lot less wing rock than the Acromaster when hovering in the wind and is a lot more precise.

Once again the AM is a great plane but try a PA 260 as well. I think you will enjoy it even more.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:25 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedots
Hi Mike,

I was thinking about using Hitec HS-85MG and Hitec HS-65MG. These OK or should I go with a different brand/type? If these are OK what do you think about the lead length?

Thanks,
Steve
Looks like no one answered you. The Hitec MG servos are great. I have them on the Acromaster and my PA Extra 260. I think I used 20 inch extensions on the wings. I have a lot of extra cable. I don't use a Y cable.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:32 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedots
Hi Mike,

I was thinking about using Hitec HS-85MG and Hitec HS-65MG. These OK or should I go with a different brand/type? If these are OK what do you think about the lead length?

Thanks,
Steve
The HS-65MG's in the tail and HS-65HB or MG for the aileron is plenty for servo for this plane. I actually run HS-65mg's in the tail and HXT 900's in the ailerons. I have had it setup this way for a long time and the HXT 900's hold up surprisingly well. I only strip them when I crash, but never from the crazy crap I put this plane through in the air. So HS-65HB's should have no problems for the ailerons.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:19 AM
Joined Jan 2006
434 Posts
Mike

Hitec servos have the longest lead length of any of the name brands, I did not use any extension leads at all the leads just reached.

Mike
BaldEagel is offline Find More Posts by BaldEagel
Old Sep 02, 2009, 05:23 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVegasUser

Once again the AM is a great plane but try a PA 260 as well. I think you will enjoy it even more.
You obviously had a far better experience with your PA 260 than I did, I'd never buy another of their planes again with their customer service and yet I'm on my second Acro because I dumb thumbed the 1st and would buy a 3rd if I destroy this one !!!
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Last edited by Witterings; Sep 02, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 05:42 AM
Changloon, Kedah, Malaysia
Joined Dec 2006
123 Posts
Hi guys..this is my first time building AM..I have a question regarding how you guys attach the wing. This AM is a detachable wing right? how do I fix the wing during flight. What hold them together in the fuse? am I missing something during my build. Is there any screw that hold the wing to the fuse?..

Help me out here..

Thanks a bunch...

ops one more thing..I already build my AM..then I noticed that the motor mount seems to be not quite sturdy. Is there anything I can do to harden this part since I already glue the fuse together. Seems pretty week i say..
slumberjer is offline Find More Posts by slumberjer
Old Sep 02, 2009, 06:30 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
The wings literally just push together and snap into place !!!!
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:26 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
You obviously had a far better experience with your PA 260 than I did, I'd never buy another of their planes again with their customer service and yet I'm on my second Acro because I dumb thumbed the 1st and would buy a 3rd if I destroy this one !!!
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Not sure what types of customer service issues you had but I haven't had any issues and the plane has performed flawlessly. It is still in pristine condition and is super easy to fly and land. Hopefully your issues were out of the norm.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:30 AM
Changloon, Kedah, Malaysia
Joined Dec 2006
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
The wings literally just push together and snap into place !!!!
Meaning no need for screw or any means of mechanism to lock the wing..just push in to the fuse..I don't feel secure with such assembly. I think better I make some lock nut and screw to at least hold the wing. Afraid might fall off during flight.
slumberjer is offline Find More Posts by slumberjer