SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:06 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Anyone try this Scorpion SII-3008-1090 motor on the AM?
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 08:03 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,228 Posts
I flew my years old AM this weekend after it just hanging in the garage for some time. Wow...a real pleasure all over again. Smooth (no vibes), graceful, great control...a real pleasure to put in the air again. The only thing I had to do was replace the plastic lg block that had cracked. Luckily I had a spare mount from a Gemini build. Love the AcroMaster!!!!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:25 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2008
9 Posts
Vantasstic, nice to know you still fly the AM. Mine has now more than 200 flights and in fact I like it so much that I'm building a new one.

As you own both the AM and the Gemini, I will be interested to know your feelings about the flight differences between the two.
WhizzRC is offline Find More Posts by WhizzRC
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:03 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2007
1,372 Posts
Removable wing advice

I just signed up for the NEAT Fair in September and decided I'm going to build my AcroMaster nightflyer in time for the event.

However I'd like the wings to be removable for easy transport. Using micro Deans connectors for the LEDs is no problem, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to secure the wings when ready to fly. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel
dswitkin is offline Find More Posts by dswitkin
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzRC
Vantasstic, nice to know you still fly the AM. Mine has now more than 200 flights and in fact I like it so much that I'm building a new one.

As you own both the AM and the Gemini, I will be interested to know your feelings about the flight differences between the two.
Actually I OWNED both an AM and Gemini. I sold the Gemini last November. I thought the AM was just an all-around better flier than the Gemini. The Gemini was easier to pack in the car in once piece, but the AM performed much better.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:46 PM
Corona, Ca.
Joined Jun 2009
4 Posts
This is the motor I have in mine: Scorpion SII-3014-830. I use a 13x6.5 prop with it. Plenty of power.
yesdog is offline Find More Posts by yesdog
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:04 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Right on. I think the Scorpion SII-3008-1090 may be a bit too small. Only good to 26Aish and is pretty light. I do have a C3542-1100 here so I will use that I guess. Would be nice to run a light AM.. mmm...
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:18 AM
Joined Jan 2006
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin
I just signed up for the NEAT Fair in September and decided I'm going to build my AcroMaster nightflyer in time for the event.

However I'd like the wings to be removable for easy transport. Using micro Deans connectors for the LEDs is no problem, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to secure the wings when ready to fly. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel
I have a carbon rod through the cockpit area into the wing and then through into the fus, this was to stop the wing comming off in flight, I nearly lost one after a particulary viscious blender attempt, it moved out from the fus by about 3" and was only held in place by the servo wire.

Mike
BaldEagel is offline Find More Posts by BaldEagel
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:54 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Yep, I use a couple of skewers the same way.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:04 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin

Thanks,
Daniel
I've used the same wings on my second fuselage and have literally hundreds of flights with them, the only thing I did was put a thin line of CA along the edges where you push them together and it's made it a really tight fit that you have to push quite hard to get together and have never had a problem or any loosening since I've done that.
Witterings is online now Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:53 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
alright, started my build:

- C3542-1100
- Hobby-wing/pentium 40A ESC
- 2x 9g servos
- 2x turnigy 16g servos (tail)
- 3s 2200mAH Xpower 25C
- CC 10A BEC
- Lots of LEDs
- Assan 2.4 RX
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:40 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
alright, started my build:

- C3542-1100
- Hobby-wing/pentium 40A ESC
- 2x 9g servos
- 2x turnigy 16g servos (tail)
- 3s 2200mAH Xpower 25C
- CC 10A BEC
- Lots of LEDs
- Assan 2.4 RX
Depending on what those 9g servos are I really don't think you'll find they're man enough for the job.

When I 1st got mine a couple of years ago I stripped 2 aileron servo's within my 1st 4 batteries and it was pure fluke / luck the plane survived.

I replaced them with 65 MG's which have lasted ever since. Personally I've switched to budget motors, ESC's and batteries but I do still spend the money on servo's, a dead stick's one thing, a servo locked out on full deflection is a whole different ball game and can be a false economy !!!!!!
Just my 2p's worth !!!!!
Witterings is online now Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
Downtown Minneapolis
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2009
197 Posts
Yet another motor selection question...

Hey guys, thanks for the advice on getting the Acromaster, the build was very simply and I was all set to install the Hobbycity TR 42-40b motor. I thought I would spool it up before mounting and I am glad I did. Problems.

It screeched and shook so violently that I could not hold on to it in anyway. So I thought it perhaps was a matter of motor timing, or some ESC settings on my Hobbywing 60amp ESC. Adjusted and still something is very wrong with the motor. So dissapointed, and so exhausted.

Anyway I just can't order a new one since they are out of stock and I would have to wait two more weeks I am sure to get it.

Two questions then: been researching this for 5 hours straight now before asking you guys.

What cheap motor, US based store will work in the Acromaster? I understand the power and watts thing but I liked the 42-40b simply because of the drop in installation of 25mm hole spacing!

If your motors do not have 25mm spacing, how in the heck are you mounting them properly without modding. So used to helis where ya know, everything just goes where its supposed to.

Thanks guys!!!
iAdam is offline Find More Posts by iAdam
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:42 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Hmm. You tried a few timings, and set EPA on the TX? th-up, plug in, hold, th-down ?

I only use 2 screws from the motor, for mine anyways. I'll only be at around 30A pull.

What I'm trying to figure out is the down/right thrust screws.
From the diagram in the manual, I swear it's backwards. I mean the "down thrust" pictures of the screws is correct, but the "right-thrust" part is .. backward.. shown I'm pretty positive.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:17 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
Hmm. You tried a few timings, and set EPA on the TX? th-up, plug in, hold, th-down ?

I only use 2 screws from the motor, for mine anyways. I'll only be at around 30A pull.

What I'm trying to figure out is the down/right thrust screws.
From the diagram in the manual, I swear it's backwards. I mean the "down thrust" pictures of the screws is correct, but the "right-thrust" part is .. backward.. shown I'm pretty positive.
GF,
Don't sweat the thrust settings. You can 'eyeball' it with prop on I'm using 2 screws also (Omega 103G from 3DHobbyshop) in the motor mount. It's an excellent motor for the Acro !!! 13x6.5 APC hauls it around with plenty of power !
Here's vid of our newest 3D g-squad member Eddie (Elixir220) getting a feel for mine at our top secret location d; )

Eddie takes a pull on the Acromaster @ TT (7 min 32 sec)
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso