Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Douglas
So is anyone using the stock wheels ?

JD
I use the original wheels and I have no problem, even having to take off and land on a grass runway!!

Best regards and best flights!
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:35 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Sure... on another plane
That is how I was thinking of using them also Gene.

JD
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:06 AM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
One of my clubs has an asphalt runway, first thing I changed was the wheels.

Didn't figure the elapor wheels to last more than a couple of landings before I erased them!
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:35 AM
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
I've long considered my Acro as my go-to plane!

It is the toughest thing I've ever had!

That crash of yours Zeke, while on another plane would be a total, with an Acro, it is pretty minor.

I've ripped mine into many pieces and put it back together with glass cloth and CA.

I've actually advanced very rapidly in 3D because of the confidence I have in the Acro and my ability to fix it.

My most recent crash, I ripped the nose completely off the fuselage just forward of the wing. The fuselage was in a total of 5 pieces. My first instinct was to order a fuselage and start over.

Instead I decided to try to fix it. I CA'ed all the main pieces back together and found I had an open hole where a large chunk of elapor was missing from the cheek of the plane.

I went back to the field I crashed it at and couldn't locate the missing chunk of elapor.

I filled in the open hole with glass cloth and CA, then glassed the cracks where it had broken on impact.

All I did to make sure it was true was to hold it as straight as I could when I glassed it.

When I flight tested it, I trimmed it to level at 3/4 throttle then pulled it vertical. It didn't fade in any direction. It is as straight as it was brand new!

I bought the Acromaster because I wanted to learn 3D flying on a plane that was forgiving , tough and easy to repair.

My Acromaster has far exceeded my expectations and as I progress I will always keep my Acromaster close by!

Fred
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:45 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Got a chance to interview MPX tonight. editing now. SO many mpx planes I want now.. grrrr...
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:39 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey
I've long considered my Acro as my go-to plane!

It is the toughest thing I've ever had!

That crash of yours Zeke, while on another plane would be a total, with an Acro, it is pretty minor.

I've ripped mine into many pieces and put it back together with glass cloth and CA.

I've actually advanced very rapidly in 3D because of the confidence I have in the Acro and my ability to fix it.

My most recent crash, I ripped the nose completely off the fuselage just forward of the wing. The fuselage was in a total of 5 pieces. My first instinct was to order a fuselage and start over.

Instead I decided to try to fix it. I CA'ed all the main pieces back together and found I had an open hole where a large chunk of elapor was missing from the cheek of the plane.

I went back to the field I crashed it at and couldn't locate the missing chunk of elapor.

I filled in the open hole with glass cloth and CA, then glassed the cracks where it had broken on impact.

All I did to make sure it was true was to hold it as straight as I could when I glassed it.

When I flight tested it, I trimmed it to level at 3/4 throttle then pulled it vertical. It didn't fade in any direction. It is as straight as it was brand new!

I bought the Acromaster because I wanted to learn 3D flying on a plane that was forgiving , tough and easy to repair.

My Acromaster has far exceeded my expectations and as I progress I will always keep my Acromaster close by!

Fred
I'm loving mine (my 2nd) The guerrilla squad had a HOOT with it this past saturday.....Eddie (Elixor220)actually started laughing while doing rolling harrier circles !
2818-900 W/13x6.5 spc on 3S 2200 25c A bit over suggested auw--39oz. Gonna do as you did Fred and put an Omega 103g in
Really enjoyed the air combat @ 114TH Grapvine FLI !

Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:18 PM
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Just bought another Acro!

A guy at my field has had it for 2 years and never finished building it!

I got the plane, 1100kv motor, 60amp esc, and external bec all for $150!

Gonna hand my other one (combat survivor) down to Brad (Prozac) and fly this one myself.

Next year's combat will have 2 Acro's !

Fred
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:48 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:

Gonna hand my other one (combat survivor) down to Brad (Prozac) and fly this one myself.

Fred
Just finished the Omega 103G install !! Rather painless too Gonna try a Xoar 13x7 for grins. Will advise ASAP !
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:08 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,535 Posts
Quote:

Fred
Dang, that's a good deal. I kind of want another AM as mine is so beat up looking, but it still flies so well, I can't justify spending money on one, heh.

I did get my second ParkMaster though for fathers day!
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:10 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
Just finished the Omega 103G install !! Rather painless too Gonna try a Xoar 13x7 for grins. Will advise ASAP !
Give us a flight report on how it flies on the Omega with the Xoar. I'm running a torque 2818 900kv and am interested in how they compare. They seem pretty similar. Btw, you might want to reinforce the landing gear, because once those wire gear flex outward, your really likely to get a prop strike. And prop strikes and Xoars don't mix

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:15 AM
South Africa, WC, Stellenbosch
Joined Jul 2009
113 Posts
Awsome plane, very responsive and a great door to the world of 3D flight.
Maxfly54 is offline Find More Posts by Maxfly54
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:41 AM
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Maidened the new Acro yesterday and I need a little help with set-up.

It flew pretty well but it needs a little tweeking...

I'm tired of stumbling through set-ups blindly (controls, thrust, CG etc.) and was wondering if there are any good resources out there for interpreting and setting up 3D planes.

Upright the plane wanted to pitch down. When I rolled it inverted, it pitched up. I trimmed that out with elevator to where it would hold level upright. When I rolled it inverted it took just a little negative elevator to hold altitude. I made a fast pass and pitched it vertical. The plane climbed straight until it starting losing speed then it would fade to the left.

Fred
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2006
434 Posts
RotorJockey

What you don't want is changes in pitch or yaw with throttle movement it will make it very difficult to hold a hover or a prop hang, so trim for staight and level flight at half throttle once established in level flight open the throttle quickly and see what happens, if the aircraft climbs then you have too much down thrust, and visa versa.

If you think your side thrust is out, climb vertically directly into wind this is easiest with the aircraft directly in front of you and going away, and see if the aircraft deviates left or right, trim the rudder until you get a straight climb, land and note the amount of rudder trim you have put in, half that is what you want as side thrust.

If you are holding down elevator in the inverted position then your C of G is too far forward for 3D prop hangs etc, but it will make it very pitch sensitive to move it back to where it is good for 3D so increase the expo to compensate.

Mike
BaldEagel is offline Find More Posts by BaldEagel
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:42 PM
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Thanks Mike,

Makes good sense!

Packing today, traveling tomorrow and flying again on Saturday.

I will definitely try what you suggested.

Fred
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:15 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymonkey
Totally repairable, you won't believe how the dents in the Elapor disappear with the hot water.............................
I wasn't aware of that. I should try it on my EasyGlider.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire