Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 19, 2009, 06:49 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,501 Posts
[QUOTE=iAdam]Hey folks, don't all shoot me at once but I have been searching for two weeks now nightly to find a plane that is similar to the Acromaster??

QUOTE]

I think you'll find there's nothing like it with a full body and that flies like a Balsa unless you're happy to go profile foamy instead !!!

I haven't tried one but the Parkzone Typhoon is close ish but the reports don't seem to be nearly as good as the Acro, not sure if they still make it or not but Ultrafly used to do an Edge but again I don't think it's as good.
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:50 PM
SHP: Super Harrier Practice
FRANCE
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
I knew that it would happen one day, and obviously it just happened: I crashed my Acromaster .
I was flying it like all the others days, turning around in inverted harrier with the rudder very close to the deck, hovers, snaps... and I did a stupid mistake,I think I put the stick in the wrong side while recovering from a bad torque-roll...
and BOOM:!!! GAME OVER !!!
So I think i can rebuild it, only the fuselage is damaged, I was thinking in using hot water and CA(or maybe epoxy ???) Watch the pictures and tell me what's the best to use, or if it' s really doable or not...

Valentin.
Zeke_val is offline Find More Posts by Zeke_val
Old Jun 19, 2009, 06:56 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2006
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldEagel
Tracking, mine never stays still long enough to check the tracking LOL except for high alpha which it does superbly, the Multiplex servo's are not worth the effort, see about 250 pages back everyone changed them out.

Mike

I went from HS81s and HS55s to HS85MG and HS65MG. Feels much crisper and letting go of the stick is always the same position. I'm interested now in what good digital servos would do in this type of model. I'm convinced on the decent servo argument now.

EDIT: For the repair I would soup the crushed edges then Gorilla Glue it back together. As a multi Multiplex model owner who is long term testing the bouncability of their range I can say that Gorilla Glue has replaced all my various CA and Epoxies. Selotape up the outside of the join to keep it neat when the glue foams. At most it might need a 1cm band of fiber tape over the join but that could be said of alot of the nose of the Acro Master if you hit something.

I can cartwheel on my wing tips though and all you get is scuffed foam
Pedroski is offline Find More Posts by Pedroski
Last edited by Pedroski; Jun 19, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:49 AM
FRANCE
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
Thanks for your reply
Old Jun 20, 2009, 04:55 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,501 Posts
I then just cut some channels in mine and glued some 2mm carbon rods in to keep it straight and to re-inforce.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:02 AM
FRANCE
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
In the fuselage or outside ?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:01 AM
Derby, UK
Joined Nov 2004
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke_val
I knew that it would happen one day, and obviously it just happened: I crashed my Acromaster .
So I think i can rebuild it, only the fuselage is damaged, I was thinking in using hot water and CA(or maybe epoxy ???) Watch the pictures and tell me what's the best to use, or if it' s really doable or not...

Valentin.
Totally repairable, you won't believe how the dents in the Elapor disappear with the hot water. Be prepared to smooth the surface with the back of a spoon afterwards though because it goes quite bumpy.

Personally I would push the edges together then run thin normal Cyano in THEN run boiling water over it. I've never got on with Gorilla on Elapor. But Pedroski has opposite experiences so I guess you need to find what works for you. Let us know how you get on.

Nigel
Daddymonkey is offline Find More Posts by Daddymonkey
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:53 AM
FRANCE
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
I think I will reform it with boiled water first and then glue it back with thin CA and maybe add some carbon rod and fiber tape(I' m hoppin it will not add too much weight...).
Old Jun 21, 2009, 02:01 AM
Joined Jun 2008
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
If you have the recommended power set up the ESC's default setting is slow brake, it means you have to off throttle a bit before landing and glide it down and most of the time even if the prop is in the wrong place it seems to move it out of the way.
That said you do break them from time to time and you'll find you have 80 flights without breaking one then suddenly break 2 in 3 flights and then not again for weeks.
I was going to have a look at the cheap APC copies and see what they're like somene said they also take a bit more punishement as well as costing less.
I have invested a lot of time and money on larger wheels, a Yak u/c and a C/F u/c and I love flying the Acromaster but completely freeze on landing especially in gusty wind. After the last incident when my u/c broke on the first landing I decided to follow Witterings advice and remove it. I am a convert! OK you lose the ability to taxi around and pretend you are a real plane but the difference in performance is noticeable. Also the belly landings are so smooth in all conditions and my prop has lasted for more flights than with the u/c fitted. I do not have the brake on the ESC - somewhere I read that you take it off for 3D but as long as power is off the prop just gets pushed out of the way. I wish I had listened to your advice earlier. Thanks
megagrumpy is offline Find More Posts by megagrumpy
Old Jun 21, 2009, 02:36 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2008
9 Posts
I also had a little fears on the firsts belly landings of my AM (with a 12 * 6 propeller) and at the beginning, I had set the ESC with the brake ON and tryed to stop my propeller in a good position before landing. But now I did'nt bother anymore and after more than 150 flight, still no propeller broken !

As you can see, it's my first post, and I'm happy to do it on the AM thread because it's my favorite plane and, appart from some moooowing problems (solved now) I think it's one of the best plane to learn aerobatics.
WhizzRC is offline Find More Posts by WhizzRC
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:16 AM
FRANCE
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
After a few liters of boiled water and a lot of thin CA, the nose is close to be like it was before(still a bit twisted, I hope it will not affect too much the flight...), I will add some sheets of fiber-glass later.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:15 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke_val
In the fuselage or outside ?
I put them on the outside purely for ease of access but if you can get them inside and out of sight then better still !!!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:37 AM
FRANCE
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
I will manage to put it inside, but it' s not going to be so easy
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts