SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:15 AM
Bucharest, Romania
Joined Jun 2008
45 Posts
My first aerobat

I've completed my AcroMaster and flew it yesterday. I am amazed.

My setup:

HiMax 3516-1130
11x5,5
Jamara Eco Xenon 40A
3S 2100 mAh 18C, 3S 2500 mAh 20C, 3S 3200 mAh 20C.
big_ipaq is offline Find More Posts by big_ipaq
Last edited by big_ipaq; Aug 10, 2008 at 05:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:16 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch n Go
really love my acromaster! its capability is really limitless!.
anyone face wing rock on harrier(high alpha) flying?

?
Yes it does seem to have some wing rock in harriers etc, I've found by virtually constantly changing the throttle it helps, I'd like to say blipping the throttle but it's almost not that much as it really is a small amount of input that just seems to help to smooth it out.
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
715 Posts
Touch & Go, that's beautiful!!!
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
"wing rock on harrier"

I dial in a touch of spoiler
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:52 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
"wing rock on harrier"

I dial in a touch of spoiler
stanordave,

What type of mix you are using? Is this aileron deflection up on a switch (set amount) or as a percentage of elevator throw? In either case, what setting are you using?

Thanks,

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:57 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Touch n Go,

I love your paint scheme! Where in Singapore do you fly? I've visited there 4-5 times in the past and have only explored the flying fields on the west side of the island and they didn't have hard surface runways.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:00 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
No mix, Just twist the dial a bit when I think I need some spoileron. I generally don't fly w/rates or expo - like to keep my fingers nimble. I prefer "manual mix". You always get just what you need when you want it! (besides, they didn't have it back in the 60's and I just got used to not having it)
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:24 PM
YOW
Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
guys,

i need some help with which glue to use for attaching the littlebirdz plywood plates. right now i only have some 5 minute epoxy and medium ca at my disposal.

thanks
VictorYOW is offline Find More Posts by VictorYOW
Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:32 PM
Bucharest, Romania
Joined Jun 2008
45 Posts
Plywood plates? AcroMaster from Multiplex? Are you sure?
big_ipaq is offline Find More Posts by big_ipaq
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:41 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,371 Posts
Yes he is. The plywood plates are a third party reinforcement addition. I'd attach them with CA or Sumo Glue. Since you didn't mention Sumo Glue then CA is the one of choice (thick CA is better than medium IMHO), but medium is better than thin.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:14 PM
YOW
Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
Hi Vantasstic,

I bought some Gorilla glue tonight. Would that be appropriate as there are some wide gaps between the plywood and the foam? Also, could I use hot glue to fill in the space between the plywood and foam?

Thanks
VictorYOW is offline Find More Posts by VictorYOW
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:26 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,371 Posts
I think other's have had reasonable results with GG...I've personally not used it on Elapor. Be careful with it...to much GG will expand to much and you'll have a big mess on your hands. Someone posted (earlier on this thread I think) some pictures of his GG attempt...filled up the cooling air intake ports and everything else. Check this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2992
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
Brimfield, MA
Joined Jul 2002
194 Posts
I think Gorilla Glue and Sumo are the same basic adhesive, just different manufacturers. Borden (Elmers) have been trying to get market share back from GG for years now.

Without a doubt the expansion of either can be a problem, use sparingly! They do stick really well though.

Jim, KK1W
Jim-KK1W is offline Find More Posts by Jim-KK1W
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:30 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,560 Posts
Do not fill the gaps with hot glue! Your AM will end up weighing a ton if you do. Use GG or sumo glue. GG tend to expand way more, so it might be a better choice for filling the gap. I find GG or sumo to work really well for elapor. I've glued my UC mount so many times, and each time it's the foam that ripped out, not the glue. Now I do a big X with reinforced packing tape to keep the UC mount together.

The GG filled nose on the AM mentioned above is my AM, I think it made the bird a bit nose heavy, though I have no basis for comparison. I just know that my A123 is way way back from another member who uses the same pack. Though I can't imagine GG being heavier than A123 packs. Anyways, the nose held up really well. I have 11 bent motor shaft right now, that's how many crashes I've had. (not proud of it) 2 of them was a nose dive to asphalt. Stock motor mount still good, nose still holding up. I did use nylon screws to mount the motor though, not sure if it helped or not.
rcboosted is online now Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:13 AM
Joined Sep 2007
245 Posts
Acromaster on a budget?

I've been browsing this thread, and I'm thinking about jumping into an acromaster, but what with the economy and all, money is a concern!

Servos
I have several HXT 900 9gram servos on hand, can I get away with using those all around? I've seen posts where people are using those on the ailerons, but haven't seen any reports of how/if they work on the rudder and tail. If these would be inadequate for the tail, is there a good no-name alternative to the Hitec HS-85?

Batteries
I also have several loong max / Zippy 3S 2250 20C lipos on hand, so the rest of the powertrain would have to take this into consideration.

Motor
It looks like the Turnigy 35-42D 1000kv motor is the most popular budget motor, any others I should consider?

ESC
Would a Turnigy 40A ESC be sufficient, or should I spring for the 60A ESC for extra "headroom"?

RX
Lastly, can I get away with a Spektrum AR6100 RX?
generalbacardi is offline Find More Posts by generalbacardi