HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:18 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,468 Posts
Has anyone used the LittleBirdz ply plates and still had the vibration issues?

Alan[/QUOTE]

What are they, I'll try anything just to get rid of the b**-y noise !!!!!!!!
Such a shame as otherwise such a great plane but it bugs the hell out of you and you notice it even more if you just flown another plane and then this one immediately after !!!!!!!!!
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:20 AM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
Dave,

Has anyone used the LittleBirdz ply plates and still had the vibration issues?

Alan
I've installed a motor mount made by myself similar to LB's one and have no vibration whatsoever and no mad cow disease Highly recommended!
You should be able to find plans somewhere back on this thread.
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2006
434 Posts
Have a look at post 3307 on page 221 and post 3330 on page 222 this mod made it the quirtest plane I have, increadably smooth.

Mike
BaldEagel is offline Find More Posts by BaldEagel
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:02 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,468 Posts
Mike,
Cheers for that, Im' just not the sort of person though that would feel competant doing that sort of mod and it's the whole reason I buy RTF's so I don't have to and why Multiplex are really peeing me off by sticking their head in the sand over it.
I wondered if the screws were maybe not all touching as I hadn't checked it and it was suggested in their list of corrective measures so I tried that and flew it yesterday and no difference what so ever !!!!!!!!
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:07 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Witterings:

Here's what I know about it. "toofastdave" is his username in RC Groups and he's in Virginia. This is his website which shows the product: http://www.littlebirdz.com/products.php?cat=30

I think he was deployed to Afganistan at one point and there was an alternate way or getting these. Check out this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2888

If you are up to it, you can build these yourself. This is the original template created by rhawk1967 that Dave/LittleBirdz used as a starting point:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1307372

Having said all this, it appears that Dave (LoneLasso) used this in his initial build but still ended up with vibration issues over time until he changed motor and put in a soft-mount system. While the ply will certainly help avoid the big damage from vibration as well as help it withstand nose-ins, it may not be the silver bullet for the vibration issues.

Hope this helps,

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Last edited by TexasFlyer; Jul 15, 2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldEagel
Have a look at post 3307 on page 221 and post 3330 on page 222 this mod made it the quirtest plane I have, increadably smooth.

Mike
Mike,

I think your fix is probably the most bullet proof because it also eliminates the adjustable mount as a potential cause of vibration. Unfortunately, that feature is one of my favorites and allowed me to get my AM flying exactly like it should. I guess I could go back to adjusting with washers again.

With your new setup, how did you adjust the thrust? Is your "foam cowl" removable? Or did you fly it without the foam for adjustment before glued it back on?

Thanks,

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:40 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
734 Posts
Alan, may I suggest a repaired link to that mount template? I'm sure many guys will find it useful Here it is
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Witterings:

Here's what I know about it. "toofastdave" is his username in RC Groups and he's in Virginia. This is his website which shows the product: http://www.littlebirdz.com/products.php?cat=30

I think he was deployed to Afganistan at one point and there was an alternate way or getting these. Check out this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2888

If you are up to it, you can build these yourself. This is the original template created by rhawk1967 that Dave/LittleBirdz used as a starting point:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hmentid=1307372

Having said all this, it appears that Dave (LoneLasso) used this in his initial build but still ended up with vibration issues over time until he changed motor and put in a soft-mount system. While the ply will certainly help avoid the big damage from vibration as well as help it withstand nose-ins, it may not be the silver bullet for the vibration issues.

Hope this helps,

Alan
I actually end up not installing mine I got from littlebirdz, so if anyone's interestd, PM me.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Jul 15, 2008, 03:26 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
773 Posts
1st Flight

I flew my AM for the first time today and am very pleased with the results. Only complaint I have is 5 minute flight time with a 2100 3 cell. I used a Nitroplanes 10 motor and 10x6 prop for the first flights. No problems with any vibrations for the first 3 flights. Can the ply motor mount be added to a completed airplane or must it be installed during the initial build?? So far I like what I see with the AM and may need to buy some bigger batteries for longer flight times.

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball
Old Jul 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
Mike,
I wondered if the screws were maybe not all touching as I hadn't checked it and it was suggested in their list of corrective measures so I tried that and flew it yesterday and no difference what so ever !!!!!!!!
Guys, these screws aren't the golden BB your looking for. I never installed the 4 adjustment screws because I found the thrust lines good enough for me after the initial flights, and didn't want any dead weight on my AM.
No mooing here with a Torque motor swinging a 15x4 prop! (I did re-inforce the interior of the nose during the build as referenced here...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2920)

I helped a friend built another AM at the flying field last week (someone broke into our storage container at our flying field and stepped on his AM, destroying it ) and we used carbon veil instead of fiberglass. This was a little bit harder to work with than the fiberglass, but I'm sure it added amost as mush re-inforcement with a very minimal weight gain.
Anyway, we didn't notice that the prop he re-used had a chip in it, and it failed on the first flight. The resulting vibration of the broken prop was pretty bad in the few seconds it took him to cut the power. After he replaced the prop, his plane started mooing. After careful inspection, it appears the unbalanced prop caused the motor shaft to bend, and this imbalance is causing his moos.
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Jul 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
Joined Jan 2006
434 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

I think your fix is probably the most bullet proof because it also eliminates the adjustable mount as a potential cause of vibration. Unfortunately, that feature is one of my favorites and allowed me to get my AM flying exactly like it should. I guess I could go back to adjusting with washers again.

With your new setup, how did you adjust the thrust? Is your "foam cowl" removable? Or did you fly it without the foam for adjustment before glued it back on?

Thanks,

Alan
Flew it first without the cowl on and adjusted the thrust line, then glued the cowl onto the back ply former, the motor is still removable through the front if I ever need to get at it.

Mike
BaldEagel is offline Find More Posts by BaldEagel
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:05 AM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
Personally I think Multiplex should buy the idea from the guy who made it and send it out for free to everyone who bought this plane and is having the "Mad Cow" syndrome. There is no reason anyone should be experiencing this issue. I own over 40 planes and have never had to deal with something as irritating as this. Mine seems to be fine right now with the Hacker A30-16M but I personally would like to put a motor one step above that because I really don't like having just enough power. I prefer a step above and fly mostly 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and have that little 1/4 left over for emergency pull outs if I need it. I had the same preference with my E-Flite Extra 260 3D 480. They recommended the 480 motor and a lot of people were happy with the set up, but I decided to put the Scorpion 3014-18 which is one step up, or a Power 10 equivelent and I love the way it fly's now. Not much heavier, same flight time, batteries come down barely warm and I have at my disposal the extra 1/4 throttle in case of emergency. I can't seem to do this with my Acromaster because I get attacked by a Raging Bull at over half throttle. I've seen some video's of a couple of guys doing the same thing, going up one step in their motor and they don't have the vibration problems and others have it with the recommended sized motor. I've done a few mods which has made my current set up pretty quiet and vibration free but now I'm going to try and put the next motor up and see if its fixed. If not, I'll be retiring that plane. There is no reason any plane should not be able to handle one step up on power systems. With the exception of the Acromaster and of the 40+ planes I own and fly, not one of them is using the recommended motor set up and they all fly great. This is an expensive foam plane for me not to be able to do that with. I was thinking of buying the new ParkMaster, but I think I'll be holding off on that now and just stick with my Funjets regarding their line of planes. Plus, at $131, I think I'll buy the CST Katana first since its a proven flyer and have yet to find anyone that owns one not say its in their top 5 best flyers. Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldEagel

Mike
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:33 AM
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
Great to hear yours in doing great. Unfortunately for me, I didn't start reading these threads until after I had built mine and suffered the vibration issues and looking for solutions. Personally I want to go one step up from the Hacker A30-16M which is basically the equivelent to the Power 10 but am not able to because of vibration issues. I also tried the Scorpion 3014-18 which is also equal to the Power 10 and my 16M but would prefer that little extra for emergencies but the plane doesn't seem to like to keep quiet with anything but a Power 10 size. I've tried a couple different motors and they all give me vibration issues. I really don't feel like cutting the nose apart to make the mod that would probably work. To quiet the plane down with my current set up, I had to glass the inside working with a long thin popsicle stick since mine was already built and CA's any tiny gaps I could see in that area. One more shot with the bigger motor and if it doesn't stay quiet, I'm going to send it to its room and not let it come out to play anymore. Its a great plane, but without the little extra power I'll keep playing around with my Hyperion Sniper XL which is an awesome plane. I just hate the fact that I have to take one wing off to fit it in my SUV. At a 61" wingspan, it just can't get it to fit in my Tahoe! Now that plane is about 3.5 pounds of EPP using a Hyperion 3025-10 (Power 32 equivelent), swinging a 14x7 APC prop on Thunder Power 3s/4s/5s 3300 V2's and not only a fantastic flyer, but whisper quiet.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjws
There were a few ideas on strengthening I liked. I liked the boxed plywood templates posted, but I REALLY like the engine mount and built in adjustability. I also wanted to avoid the extra hardware of the radial mount.

So I took the templates, added the front portion. Cut a hole for the plastic mount to tie it in. Came out perfect. Simple and keeps the best of both worlds. For landing gear I just took CF Rods (arrow shaft size) and drilled them into the mount at the same angle as stock. Finally the gear is rock solid.

I think my Acromaster is well over 300 flights, 4s A123's, 13x6.5, Power 10 is still hanging in fine but is pushed harder than I'd recommend (the power is awesome). Brilliant plane, 8 out of 10 times I leave the big stuff at home and fly this thing.

Mike
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:12 AM
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
Unfortunately this is a mod that needs to be done before gluing the fuse halves together. There are some other mods you can do since you've already built it, but so far, the ply motor mount mod seems to be one of the most reliable. The only thing I was able to do since like you, I had already built mine before finding out about the vibration issue.

I took some 1/2oz fiberglass but you can use 3/4oz if you prefer, and I pulled the motor and plastic mount plate off. Cut four seperate pieces for top, bottom and sides. Laid them in one at a time and soaked it in CA then spread it around with those long popsical sticks to flatten it all out. Did this three more times to cover the whole inside of the fuse. Then I look carefully inside the nose and from the canopy area looking for any gaps in the seams, no matter how small they looked and filled those areas with medium CA. So far its worked very well but the real test for me will be when I upgrade to the bigger motor. You can also run the carbon rod mod through the back side of the plastic mounts horizontally just in front of the wing. This seems to have helped others as well. I haven't had the need for that one but may have to when I upgrade my motor. Good luck.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
I flew my AM for the first time today and am very pleased with the results. Only complaint I have is 5 minute flight time with a 2100 3 cell. I used a Nitroplanes 10 motor and 10x6 prop for the first flights. No problems with any vibrations for the first 3 flights. Can the ply motor mount be added to a completed airplane or must it be installed during the initial build?? So far I like what I see with the AM and may need to buy some bigger batteries for longer flight times.

Randy
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:19 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
773 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info Jim. If I have a problem I will do the 1/2oz Fiberglass trick. Do you think water based Polyurithane will work instead of CA. I am allergic to CA!!!

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball