HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
Joined Nov 2004
177 Posts
Thanks cynjon

I used a fresh lipo and with the 12 X6, I'm pulling 287 watts, at 28 amps. About a 1 volt drop on 15 to 20 seconds of full throttle. I'll move the prop size up and see what happens. No hobby shop in town so I'll have to mail order some larger ones, another delay. If I go to 14 inches I may have to change landing gear. What watts should I be looking for?
cgblues is offline Find More Posts by cgblues
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2008, 10:42 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgblues
Thanks cynjon

I used a fresh lipo and with the 12 X6, I'm pulling 287 watts, at 28 amps. About a 1 volt drop on 15 to 20 seconds of full throttle. I'll move the prop size up and see what happens. No hobby shop in town so I'll have to mail order some larger ones, another delay. If I go to 14 inches I may have to change landing gear. What watts should I be looking for?
After looking at the Hobbycity reviews on this motor, it looks like most people are using the same prop as you are--but they are all pulling 33-35A on a 3-cell pack. That's a 5-7A difference from what you are getting. IF your battery is capable of putting out 35A or more, the 13x6.5 may work well for you. However, if your battery is the weak link (the CC60 is plenty big and there are reports of people running the motor at nearly 500W) then going to a bigger prop will only make it worse. Is there a battery that you can test with that will 100% guaranteed put out the amps you need? If you get 28A readings with that battery then your motor may just be lower kV than advertised.

To answer your question, it looks like most people are using this motor at around 350-375W--but I don't have any personal experience with this exact motor. I've got one of the TR 35-48-A 1100kv motors and it's a screamer--I'm sure the motor you have has excellent potential as well.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old May 17, 2008, 11:32 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentblue100
Fair enough guys. I'm glad you aren't having any problems. However, I have also had a few multiplex models and I find the latch system unsatisfactory. To each their own I suppose.
Now to rephrase my question, for those that have used magnets, can you advise on how you did this.
-------

I'm not commenting on an effective magnet solution to holding a MPX canopy in place, but rather a foolproof solution I learned over on the EasyStar thread. Get used to and use an elastic band on MPX canopies. I have had difficulties with the canopy on two EZ*, an EZGlider, a Gemini hatch, so I will automatically affix a rubber band to the Acro when I get her ready to fly.

I know, I know...a rubber band doesn't look very sophisticated. What I'm concerned about much more than "sophistication" is not losing my batt pak, esc, and rx if the canopy should happen to pop off under the air pressure flowing through the fuselage. MPX lock rings are rather famous for breaking or twisting out of shape. Magnets and velcro work to some degree. I want positive protection, so the rubber band is my insurance policy.

When the plane is on the ground I remove the rubber band. That's where the spectators see the esthetics of the plane...on the ground. When she's in the air she's depending on me, and during flight the spectators never notice the way I attach the canopy.

I have activated the "force shields", so the critics to my impudence are free to blast away.

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Last edited by frogstomper; May 17, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old May 18, 2008, 03:08 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
For those of you running flat 4S A123 packs, where is your cg? In this thread 120mm is recommended for 3D, can this be achieved using 4S A123 pack? Where would it sit? I was thinking making my 4S pack looking like this:

[==]--[==]
[==]--[==]

Where -- are wires so I can "bend" the pack if I need to move it up the ramp and have 2 cell directly under the canopy and the other 2 still on the ramp. But if 120mm cg can be achieved with the pack all the way inside the nose, I wouldn't bother extending the pack. Also, if the pack is inside the nose, how do you secure it?

Pic would help a lot if you guys got them. I was worried that it wouldn't balance since jarosujo mentioned his 3S A123 in the nose is making the cg at 105mm from LE of the wing already. Weights were needed to move the cg back. 4S would just make it worse.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old May 18, 2008, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
Thank you for the pics! These are very helpful. Now I know exactly where they need to go. Looks like the split pack may be beneficial in that it can sit flat instead of protruding, but not necessary. I dry fitted the A123s with the ply wood reinforcement in there, I need to tilt the A123s diagonally to fit. Kind of makes it difficult to velcro them in place that way.

BTW, is that paint job sharpie black special? Very light weight!
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old May 18, 2008, 01:03 PM
Joined Apr 2005
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomper
-------

I'm not commenting on an effective magnet solution to holding a MPX canopy in place, but rather a foolproof solution I learned over on the EasyStar thread. Get used to and use an elastic band on MPX canopies. I have had difficulties with the canopy on two EZ*, an EZGlider, a Gemini hatch, so I will automatically affix a rubber band to the Acro when I get her ready to fly.

I know, I know...a rubber band doesn't look very sophisticated. What I'm concerned about much more than "sophistication" is not losing my batt pak, esc, and rx if the canopy should happen to pop off under the air pressure flowing through the fuselage. MPX lock rings are rather famous for breaking or twisting out of shape. Magnets and velcro work to some degree. I want positive protection, so the rubber band is my insurance policy.

When the plane is on the ground I remove the rubber band. That's where the spectators see the esthetics of the plane...on the ground. When she's in the air she's depending on me, and during flight the spectators never notice the way I attach the canopy.

I have activated the "force shields", so the critics to my impudence are free to blast away.

FS
Not blasting as such, but...

I've got velcro holding mine on - quality 3M velcro and thers no way it will pop off in flight. I agree the clips they give you arent up to the job.

The other thing - I dont think you will be able to get a band on the acromaster- though I may be wrong. On mine I think the wings get in the way.

On my funjet though I do use a band, works perfectly.

An idea thats just occured to me - a carbon peg at the back of the canopy, that gos partially into the fuselage. Given the flexibilty of elapor, I think it would be possible to bend the canopy far enough to get the peg out, and the whole thing off...

Just an idea though, no idea if it would work.
JEvans is offline Find More Posts by JEvans
Old May 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
Joined Nov 2004
177 Posts
update on turnigy TR-35-42D

I tried a proven evo pack and it still wouldn't pull more than 28 amps with 12X6 so it isn't the batteries. I found a 14 X 7 to try and it pulls 42 amps at 420 watts. looks like the motor is good and I just have to find the right prop. I'm at 1500 feet altitude, I don't know if that has much to do with it. I'll order some larger props to try.

Thanks for the help
cgblues is offline Find More Posts by cgblues
Old May 18, 2008, 03:22 PM
Guelph, Ontario Canada
Joined Sep 2004
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
Thank you for the pics!..........BTW, is that paint job sharpie black special? Very light weight!
No problem I'm glad to help if I can.

Yes the black is sharpie. It's my 2nd attempt at giving the AM a bit of athetics. My first attempt was with a red Krylon H2O paint, I used blue masking tape for the design. It turned into a disaster, the red was actually pink, paint ran under the masking tape and made a mess. I was so mad before it dried, I ended up taking the garden hose to my wings and washed the paint off as best I could. After that I went to the dollar store and got a couple of black knock off shapies (I find they're slightly darker than real sharpies).

Leon.
LLoo is offline Find More Posts by LLoo
Old May 18, 2008, 04:36 PM
Mebbe I'll fly this year??
Colne, Lancs, ENGLAND, UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,092 Posts
My canopy is ridiculously tight, there's no way on earth that it'd come off by accident. Just used the standard clips that came in the kit. I have to proper pull at it to get it off.
Speed E Freak is offline Find More Posts by Speed E Freak
Old May 18, 2008, 04:40 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
715 Posts
My canopy is the same. No way it will ever come loose in flight. It is nice & tight using the stock clips.
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old May 19, 2008, 03:15 AM
Essex, UK
Joined Apr 2005
37 Posts
Hi Mr Flash
Love that red and blue paint job on your Acromaster - what colours did you use on the undersides and what paint did you use? Also, how did you achieve that subtle chequer pattern on the fin?

Cheers, Richard
RedPanda is offline Find More Posts by RedPanda
Old May 19, 2008, 09:36 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
That's the same UC mount that came with my Gemin. It is much better than the original configuration in my opinion. My AM had the original type...sigh...but it's held up well.
What changed about the UC plate? I am putting together a second AM for myself (I love it so much, I want an identical back-up it case something unfortunate happens!) and I didn't notice anything different from the one I build last year. Heres a picture from way back in the thread (Jul 23, 2006) which shows what appers to be the same plate, too...

What I did notice is a addendum to the instructions that I don't remember seeing in my original build. It deals with the vibrations many people have been experiencing and steps to take to lessen the possibility of it happening.
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old May 19, 2008, 11:59 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Cheers for the comps guys. The paint is just cheap Plastikote rattle cans from B&Q hardware store. The canopy was sprayed in a "Pewter" (dark silver) then the edges where sprayed from a distace with black to give it a transparent effect although it dosnt show up very well on the pics . Underneath its just a simple red under the fus with a couple of red invasion stripes on the wing. Ill try and get some airborne shots later in the week if the weather holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10000
What changed about the UC plate?
The instructions (dia 24) http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorsc...master_5sp.pdf shows a UC plate with a sprung latch on it but mine had a screw retainer and no latch . Im not shure when it was changed as its my first AM but mine is definately different from the book.
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old May 19, 2008, 03:46 PM
UK
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
Just got a second acromaster and on quick inspection there are a few minor differences from my first:

Motor mounts have extra surface area to glue to the foam that protrude at 90 degrees from the main mounts, landing gear mount now has a screw to retain the wire instead of a plastic clip, wheels are now pre built instead of hub and two halves and it all comes packed much more securely in a foam retainer.
breeza is offline Find More Posts by breeza