HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:32 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
difficult to tell about the thrusty angle. i used the suggesed from the manual and it was bang ok...battery is big i use that one for aerobatics/mild 3d, i have a smaller one (4oz lighter!) for 3d. When u gonna maiden your AM you cant be far off now. you in the US??
jrubenis is offline Find More Posts by jrubenis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:23 PM
Greenville, WI
Joined Aug 2007
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarosujo
OK, I will use no brake then.
What about acceleration time ?
I believe for 3D you need fast acceleration to get you out of trouble, specially close to ground.
Did I attach prop correctly (pictures below) ? Should writings on prop be visible from the front ?
Thanx
You might try a different prop adapter that slides further down the motor shaft than the one you have.
ty27w is offline Find More Posts by ty27w
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:21 AM
Slovakia
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
Hopefully I will maiden my AM this weekend, still waiting for 2x HS65MG. I already have 2x HS82MG for tail.
I used big plastic washer from kit to mount motor, it's OK now.
If I understand correctly, thrust should be set "a little" to the right and "very little" down. I don't have any proper tool to check it, could you recommend something ? Maybe there's some nice link which explains how to properly trim plane during first flights.
jarosujo is offline Find More Posts by jarosujo
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
In the instructions it gives the recommended thrust angles by using the 4 srews on the mount. Do u have the instructions?? I cant remember the amount but i can lookif you want, but yes, a bit down and right is the way. Reduces the propeller rolling the plane.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 01:47 PM
Slovakia
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
OK, thrust is done hopefully, anyway best way to check is during flight. Now I need to set travel : could you please recommend some for beginner ?
Manual says for example elevator : 35 mm-normal ; 70-mm 3D
Does it mean (normal) 35 mm up and 35 mm down ? So all together 70 mm.
For 3D 70 up and 70 down so together 140 mm. Correct ?

I will set expo for 30% to begin with and reduce it slowly by 5% let's say every 10-20 flights to 0%.
EDIT: No need for expo and dual rates on rudder ?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
yeah 35mm each way, so 70mm for elevator total travel. i used the middle hole on servo arm and outer hole on horn for rudder and elevator. that gives good performance. if you have dual rates use them. i have high rates at 100% and low at 75%. dont use dual rates on rudder i woul suggest having rudder at full throw whether you a begineer or 3d. i also use expo at 30%(expt rud). i will make a video tomorrow if the weathers any good. by the way whats the time difference in slovakia?
Last edited by jrubenis; Feb 28, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:29 PM
Slovakia
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
1 hour more than UK.
One of my friend just told me that even normal throws are more than enough for beginner. He advised me to set 1. setup little less than normal and 2. setup like normal.
So I will probably go for:
low rates - Aileron 25mm; Elevator 25mm
high rates - Aileron 35mm; Elevator 35mm
Rudder 45mm both
Expo - 40% Elevator; 30% Aileron

When you are saying 100% high rates, you mean 100% of 3D or normal throws?
Last edited by jarosujo; Feb 28, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:59 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
when i maidened my am i had full rates (100%) as normal and low rate at less than normal setup (bit like what ur mate said). To be honest i never used low rate as the plane flies so well. Now i have my full rate at 3d setup and low rate for normal. I dont fly alot of 3d (cos i am not that good yet ). If i was you i would just use normal rates (100%) and lower (80ish %) but i think after a few flights you will want to increase. What planes have u flown before?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 03:28 PM
Slovakia
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubenis
when i maidened my am i had full rates (100%) as normal and low rate at less than normal setup (bit like what ur mate said). To be honest i never used low rate as the plane flies so well. Now i have my full rate at 3d setup and low rate for normal. I dont fly alot of 3d (cos i am not that good yet ). If i was you i would just use normal rates (100%) and lower (80ish %) but i think after a few flights you will want to increase. What planes have u flown before?
None
My first plane. I have heli since summer. On sim (phoenix) I can fly AM without problem, so I decided to skip trainer. Soon I will find out if it was bad idea
Old Feb 28, 2008, 03:40 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
you will be fine but definately dont have full 3d throws. Its just as easy to fly as some trainers is very stable and durable. it is my first aileron plane. Before i had gliders rudd/eve only. One thing you might need to watch is the undercarriage as its crap. Whats the weather like there. It sounds like it should be snowing all the time!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 03:57 PM
Slovakia
Joined Oct 2007
99 Posts
No snow anymore, it's about 10 degrees during these days, but rain is coming from Czech tomorrow :-( I rainforced undercarriage with string (picture). It should help.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:21 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
i know how u feel. i booked the afternoon off work tomoorow so i could fly before its dark, just looked bat the weather for the uk, and its raining with 24mph wind!! Let us know how you get on with your maiden.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:36 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Has anyone used Multiplex Multiprimer before spraying or does acrylic adhere ok to Elapor ?
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old Feb 29, 2008, 06:54 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash
Has anyone used Multiplex Multiprimer before spraying or does acrylic adhere ok to Elapor ?
I have, acrylic doesn't adhere that well without it on the Elapor parts. If you do use the primer, make sure you read the instructions and use the minimum amount required, otherwise it starts melting the surface of the foam. Don't ask me how I know

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Feb 29, 2008, 07:11 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
ouch ....Cheers Mike,

Dont suppose you've tried RC Styro Paints on Elapor ?
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash