HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:54 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjotrrr
I don't really understand whay you mean, the switch mode BEC always keeps 5V/3A to the receiver, no matter how many lipo's are used in series (2 to 5slipo)
I guess what I was asking is whether it will limit the current in case of a sudden locked-rotor condition on the motor. Anyone?
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:28 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2005
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMuse
Hi all,

I am going to get my own Acromaster too very soon but I am still searching for the best configuration...
After having read lot of forums (and of course this thread), it seems that the Himax c3516-1130 with 45A ESC and 11x5,5 is very good.
I have read also of AXI 2820/10 or 12 (can't tell the difference!).

Anyway, my point is that my retailer, who i consider competent, is proposing following configuration:
- Brushless Pulsar BL25
- ESC Multicont BL27 (Multiplex)
- APC 10 x5
See the details

Well i must say that i am not convinced about it. What do you think ?
Does anyone have any experience of Pulsar motor ? Seems too weak to me compared with the Himax or Axi.
What about the ESC ? Isn't it too light (27A /35A max) ?

Thanks for your support!
In short: Forget it.
Outrunners that handle the plane well will have 120-150g weight for decent efficiency and you will need a ~40A ESC on a 3s setup to get enought current into the motor.
There are a couple of setups
Axi 2820 (10 or better 12)
Kontonik Kora 10-14 or 10-16
The Himax
Hacker A30-16M or L should also work, a colleague has the L version (not flown yet)
and a lot more.
MalteS is offline Find More Posts by MalteS
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:42 AM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMuse
Hi all,

I am going to get my own Acromaster too very soon but I am still searching for the best configuration...
After having read lot of forums (and of course this thread), it seems that the Himax c3516-1130 with 45A ESC and 11x5,5 is very good.
I have read also of AXI 2820/10 or 12 (can't tell the difference!).

Anyway, my point is that my retailer, who i consider competent, is proposing following configuration:
- Brushless Pulsar BL25
- ESC Multicont BL27 (Multiplex)
- APC 10 x5
See the details

Well i must say that i am not convinced about it. What do you think ?
Does anyone have any experience of Pulsar motor ? Seems too weak to me compared with the Himax or Axi.
What about the ESC ? Isn't it too light (27A /35A max) ?

Thanks for your support!
LaMuse, if you have the option, I think you should go with Multiplex's recommended power setup. Firstly, the shaft extends out of the right side of the motor. Motor that are intended for radial mounting will need to have their shafts reversed, which is hard to do if you don't have some sort of mechanical press.

Second, that motor, battery, prop are a proven performer. Enough to do 3D, pattern, etc.

Third, the AcroMaster kit includes a spacer to set the correct length of the motor shaft protrusion from the motor mounting plate. With other motors, you will either have to adjust this by changing the amount of protrusion of the motor shaft (again, requiring a press) or by making your own spacer.

Why go to all this extra trouble when the proven setup is affordable and of high quality? The only reason I can think of is if you already have a motor on hand that you can make work. (such as Pjtorr did)
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:29 AM
Austria - Vienna
Joined Jul 2005
92 Posts
Well all that sounds well, thanks to you Jeremy and MalteS!
I think i'll go for the Himax as recommended.

Any good ESC for the Himax except the Phoenix ?
What about a JETI 40 Plus (Version R ? Optokoppler ?)
LaMuse is offline Find More Posts by LaMuse
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:35 AM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
The switchmode BEC is used in the BEC circuit of the controller, the other part is the brushless speed control, this part is the same as any other controller and has nothing to do with the switchmode BEC circuit...
So a switchmode BEC won't help with locked up motors or sudden ampdraws that are too high.
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:53 AM
Oxfordshire - UK
Joined Jan 2003
53 Posts
On mine - using the complete packaged Multiplex power set, the Himax 3516 on the supplied APC 11x5.5 prop draws a tad over 39amps on a fresh 3P2S lipo pack. You will find that full power is used sparingly - most of my flying is at half throttle, with bursts of full power when urgently needed .

So a 40amp esc should be OK - just be aware that you are running close to the limits at WOT.
zippo is offline Find More Posts by zippo
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:39 PM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Random thought:

I was pondering what kind of paint job LaMuse is going to put on his AM. (if you haven't looked yet, find a pic of his TwinStar II paint job on http://plawner.net; it's beautiful)

Then, I was thinking how funny & ironic it would be to put a USA WWII trainer paint scheme on it. (the one with yellow wings and stars) I wish I had thought of it before putting the stickers on mine...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:41 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
978 Posts
Jeremy, did you end up with the Himaxx or the EFl 10? Or are they so similar it doesn't matter?
Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:30 AM
Austria - Vienna
Joined Jul 2005
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
I was pondering what kind of paint job LaMuse is going to put on his AM. (if you haven't looked yet, find a pic of his TwinStar II paint job on http://plawner.net; it's beautiful)

Then, I was thinking how funny & ironic it would be to put a USA WWII trainer paint scheme on it. (the one with yellow wings and stars) I wish I had thought of it before putting the stickers on mine...
Ah ah, I am wondering too actually !
Seriously I am still searching for a nice paint (no way I use these ugly Decos from Mpx!). I was thinking of a Red Bull look, like that one:
RedBull Extra 300S

Or like the Aeroshell:
NorthAmerican AT6G

But if anyone has a good suggestion, please go ahead (with pictures) !
LaMuse is offline Find More Posts by LaMuse
Last edited by LaMuse; Jul 25, 2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:51 AM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm
Jeremy, did you end up with the Himaxx or the EFl 10? Or are they so similar it doesn't matter?
Ryan
I used the E-Flite Power 10. They are very similar, but I had to reverse the shaft on the E-Flite. (hard to do, if you don't have a press of some sort) Get the Himax if you don't have a press handy. I've already got three Himax motors, and they are all top-shelf.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:50 PM
Belgium
Joined Apr 2006
106 Posts
Pffff, sh tty landing gear... The grass at my club was a little on the long side. No wind, so the landing was a little hot. Although I flared correctly the landing gear just tore off!

I can glue it back, but I will make a modification to it. I'll install a wire like on the Magister and I'll get rid of the wheel protection thingies (or whatever they are called).

I also suffer from the vibrations that other people mentioned as well. This only at half throttle or so, which leads me to believe that it's just the prop.

It's a petty that a plane this well designed fall short of perfection due to only the landing gear design

Any thoughts on this?

Ron
kraaijer is offline Find More Posts by kraaijer
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:06 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
kraaijer,

Which force do you think caused it to tear off?
  1. The downward force spreading the wheels apart (in which case the Magister wire will help)?
  2. The backwards force caused by the wheel pants catching on the grass?
  3. Other force?

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:09 PM
Belgium
Joined Apr 2006
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
kraaijer,

Which force do you think caused it to tear off?
  1. The downward force spreading the wheels apart (in which case the Magister wire will help)?
  2. The backwards force caused by the wheel pants catching on the grass?
  3. Other force?

Alan
My guess would be the wheel pants catching the grass, sinds it was a very smooth touchdown. However, I do feel that the gear is somewhat to flexible to my liking, hence the wire upgrade.

So maybe it would be a combination of the first two issues. Did you experience the same thing?

Ron
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:50 PM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Has anyone tried belly-landing this plane yet? I bet it is just the thing...
Old Jul 26, 2006, 01:09 AM
Belgium
Joined Apr 2006
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
Has anyone tried belly-landing this plane yet? I bet it is just the thing...
Might want to get rid of the tail wheel first