HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2007, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoung
Is that Rimfire the 35-30-1250 or the 35-36-1200?

Thanks for the design effort!
Brad
I was using the 35-36-1200. very similar to the recommended himax setup. thanks!
rhawk1967 is offline Find More Posts by rhawk1967
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2007, 06:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,065 Posts
I flew my AM again today, this time with the re-indexed prop adapter that eliminated the vibration I was getting. Wow...it was fun to fly before, but to fly it whisper quiet was even better. Without a doubt, the AcroMaster is now my favorite sport flying plane. Time to sell my e-powered BalsaNova and Aerophibian. I'd highly recommend the AM to anyone with a little stick time. What suprises me is I'm still the only one at our field flying one. The other fliers just don't know what they're missing.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2007, 04:45 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
I'd highly recommend the AM to anyone with a little stick time. What suprises me is I'm still the only one at our field flying one. The other fliers just don't know what they're missing.
Amen.

I always draw a crowd and get a lot of wows and comments when I fly mine. I've only had it done a couple weeks / 4-5 trips to the field, so I anticipate some followers soon
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 05, 2007, 06:00 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,604 Posts
Himax Motor Vibration

I just put together my Acro Master's replacement fuselage, and tested the motor to see if it was rotating in the right direction. I had not recently tested the motor without a prop on it, and noticed a little vibration. The shaft is dead straight, so what else on the motor could be causing it?
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:20 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,065 Posts
Unloaded vibs could have lots of sources. A loose/missing magnet, unbalanced can, motor mount not sitting firm and square. Not knowing how much vibration you are talking about, I'd stick on a prop and see what it does. As long as the prop is balanced you may be able to eliminate some vibrations by reindexing the prop/collet/motor shaft with each other until things run smooth.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2007, 03:05 PM
Olympia, WA
Joined May 2005
496 Posts
Landing Gear Height

I am going to put Al landing gear on my Acro. I know the height of the stock gear is about 4" from the axle to the mounting plate. If I use landing gear with a height of 3" will there be enough room on take-off for prop clearance using a 12X6 prop?

Thanks

Danny
DannyR is offline Find More Posts by DannyR
Old Aug 09, 2007, 04:40 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
I cured the vibration in mine by rotating the prop on the collet a little at a time. Himax 3516 and APC prop.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:09 AM
Warsaw - Poland
Joined Oct 2006
135 Posts
Some pictures of my AM:
AM

Enjoy!
alchemique is offline Find More Posts by alchemique
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:30 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR
I am going to put Al landing gear on my Acro. I know the height of the stock gear is about 4" from the axle to the mounting plate. If I use landing gear with a height of 3" will there be enough room on take-off for prop clearance using a 12X6 prop?

Thanks

Danny
Fuse level, 2.5" wheels, stock landing gear:

12x6 Prop clearance = 3"
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:38 PM
Olympia, WA
Joined May 2005
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Fuse level, 2.5" wheels, stock landing gear:

12x6 Prop clearance = 3"
Thanks, Gene. That is the information I needed. I should finish building my AM next week and be ready for the maiden flight the following weekend. I'll post pictures of the final build when completed.

Danny
DannyR is offline Find More Posts by DannyR
Old Aug 10, 2007, 04:35 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
I recently bought an AM after having previously owned multiple Easystars, a Twinstar, and a Minimag. I'm a big fan of Multiplex's airplanes. Thanks to this thread, I'm confident I'll have a great flying Acromaster! Mine's going to be lightweight. I went with the Torque motor, Berg 7 RX, CC Thunderbird 36 and didn't choose the MG version of the recommended servos.

I also saved 14 grams by substituting 10mm carbon tube for the included wing spars!
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:49 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Sounds good, Rob. It'll be interesting to see your finished weight. Mine's 880g w/o battery, and flies like it's real light.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:13 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,065 Posts
I weighed, but have since forgot my AUW. For the AM, I personally think saving a few grams/ounces here or there will not make any appreciable difference. i built mine stock, used HS-81s all around, added stiffeners to my landing gear wire...all adding weight...and my AM flies like it's full of helium. It just 'feels' so light and responsive in flight that I can't imagine being lighter would make a difference. Don't worry about building it stock and just having fun...the AM is a wonderful plane!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:39 AM
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Joined May 2004
1,667 Posts
I can imagine it lighter for 3D but for Imac style is very good at this weight , even it ballons a little too much for precise landing in cross wind , I think Im too used to foamies and very large planes ,the last fly all good but I have to ask my friends for some minutes of pleasure .

Juan.
chichisport is offline Find More Posts by chichisport
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
I just took it off the scale.

826 grams without battery! I'm pretty happy.
Besides swapping in a lighter set of carbon spars and using the light componets mentioned above, I also used a lighter collet adapter, 3mm carbon tubes instead of the outer pushrod snakes, CA hinges which were 1/2 the weight of the stock hinges, light gauge servo extensions and as little glue and paint as possible. You don't save weight on an airplane in one place, you need to save weight everywhere for it all to add up.
I'll weight my friend's AM tomorrow, he built his with no regard to weight savings. It'll be interesting to see the difference. Can't wait to fly this thing!
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000