Old Jul 19, 2006, 04:11 PM
Volts times Amps = Wot?
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Mar 2003
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo
TexasFlyer
... dare I suggest that the Acro Master might just be as good?
Ooooh! Thats' a bit daring. Don't you know the Wot4 is almost a religion in its self? Questioning it supremacy is tantamount to heresey

I'll get my Acromaster built this weekend and see if I want to join your cult
jeezeypeeps is offline Find More Posts by jeezeypeeps
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2006, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2005
776 Posts
"When you say "all hell breaks loose" when it comes off, what does this mean. I wouldn't think the plane would fly that much differently, maybe just make a lot of noise..."

Yes alot of noise and if you are at high rpm / full throttle when it happens the whole side of the nose will break and crack out. It was fixable with thich ca and activator and flies fine now but it aint pretty anymore

As to the prop balancing, No, im not balancing them and this might indeed prevent this problem. You will find out i guess. Another guy at our field balanced his and like me his was fine for the first days 3-5 flights but on the second day he got a nasty vibration as well and his cross member had not come loose. Im thinking his prop is too thin and flexible. Ive gone to a graupner carbon composite CAMprop 11x6 now which is extremely thick and good results so far in the last 8 flights or so. Its still holding together.

About the epoxy on the cross member. You arent using epoxy to elapor on the cross member. Its plastic to plastic. There are two motor mounts of plastic and then a plastic cross member between them and this is what im suggesting to use epoxy on or better yet drill it out and use thick diameter carbon tube.
AnnihilaT is offline Find More Posts by AnnihilaT
Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:10 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Zippo,

I see that you are in the UK and have an AM. Do you know what online suppliers in the UK have AMs in stock? I'm trying to buy one to be shipped to the US, but my leads are either out of stock or I can't read their websites (German).

Thanks,

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:35 PM
Volts times Amps = Wot?
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Mar 2003
278 Posts
www.inwoodmodels.com/ had some last weekend, although I don't see it on the website.

www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk. have them on the website.

www.modelspot.com were due to get a shipment today

Good luck ; they're still pretty hard to find.
jeezeypeeps is offline Find More Posts by jeezeypeeps
Old Jul 21, 2006, 05:08 PM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Here is another video, it's my brothers AcroMaster flown by Derk van der Vecht, his father Dick shot the video:

http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/vdV...croMaster1.wmv

Setup in video: Kontronik JAZZ 55-6-18 with Kontronik KORA 10-14W (118 grams), APC E prop 11 X 5,5, at 10V: 37,31 Ampere / 9351 RPM /
374 Watt, 1800 gram thrust.

AUW with 3s3200/20C KOKAM: +/- 1090 gram.
Hyperion 2500/20C's are ordered,will be: +/- 1015 gram
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Last edited by Pjotrrr; Jul 21, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:01 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Not a bad video. I'm surprised at how noisy it is though. Is that because of the prop, or is he running a geared drive system?
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:04 PM
Me likes Depron...
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
The Kontronik Kora is an outrunner, prop should be ok...
Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:02 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
978 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. I actually like the noise, but it does seem louder than most outrunners. I am impressed with the flying capabilities, a nice mix of 3d and precision. Just what I was looking for. I got around to painting the pieces and buying the radio gear. The Motor and ESC should be here next week. Now I need more batteries!
Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:43 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2005
31 Posts
I fly also the Kontronik setup. Its likely not a problem of the motor since it has three ball bearings. The problem is IMHO the Motormount with the easy adjustment possibility. Indeed the noise reduces when tightening the outer screws.
MalteS is offline Find More Posts by MalteS
Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:59 AM
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Joined May 2004
1,667 Posts
Nice video , Im sold for a AM after holidays.
chichisport is offline Find More Posts by chichisport
Old Jul 23, 2006, 02:27 AM
Belgium
Joined Apr 2006
106 Posts
Got mine yesterday, build it and going to maiden it today .
kraaijer is offline Find More Posts by kraaijer
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:12 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraaijer
Got mine yesterday, build it and going to maiden it today .
*sigh* Another slow builder...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:20 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
454 Posts
Mine is going to be maidened today, hopefully gonna get one of the lads in the club to video it for me.

Wish me luck
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:03 AM
Belgium
Joined Apr 2006
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away
*sigh* Another slow builder...
Forgive me for being slow...

But I did maiden it today and like just about everybody, I did experience the vibrations at just over half throttle on the third flight onwards. Same problem with the flimsy UC, fortunally the grass was pretty short, so it didn't bother me that much.

Other then that.... Great plane! Handles very nicely. Even got the IC guys enthousiastic (I am the only electric flyer)
It's a lot easier to do a torque roll with it then on the simulator, although I am not an expert flyer

I will do the UC upgrade like the Magister, that should help. As far as the vibration goes, I've never been very happy with APC, I'm convinced the problem lies in the propellor. Having said that, the motor mount could use some improvements.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Multiplex fleet, with the AM and the FJ on top of my flying schedule.

Ron
kraaijer is offline Find More Posts by kraaijer
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:36 AM
Me likes Depron...
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
We flew my brothers AcroMaster yesterday with Hyperion Light Storm 3s1800 instead of Kokam 3200's....
Very nice, weight was only 960 grams (also 15 grams lighter carbon tubes...)
And you can buy two of these for the price of the kokams above....

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3761

We can only say: The lighter the better!
New video will follow soon

Balancing the prop is advisable, also retighten the upper and lower bolts of the motormount.

www.modelbouwforum.nl
Last edited by Pjotrrr; Jul 23, 2006 at 07:42 AM.