HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2007, 09:57 AM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
The iron-on covering on the my AM makes it fly so much more cleanly, even though it is 5 oz (145g) heavier than before, that I am considering getting a new AM kit and cutting away some of the elapor in the regions where the covering can take a good it of the load. This could be done easily on the back half of the fuse and in places on the wings. It would make an interesting project (just waht I need, one more project...).

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:58 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Randy,

If you only covered the control surfaces, I wonder if you'd get the majority of the extra responsiveness (due to the extra stiffness) with minimal weight gain? That may be an easier experiment on your next AM.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:54 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
Randy,

If you only covered the control surfaces, I wonder if you'd get the majority of the extra responsiveness (due to the extra stiffness) with minimal weight gain? That may be an easier experiment on your next AM.

Alan
Alan,

During the process of covering, I did the tail surfaces first, followed by the wings and then the fuse. After each step, the flying performance improved and the battery life increased. I have previously covered my Magister and my Microjet. They also exhibited the same behavior - the more that was covered, the better they flew.

Covering only the control surfaces, sealing the hinge gapsa t the same time will make a significant difference. The thin eleapor of the control surfaces flexes easily under load giving somewhat unpredictable response to control inputs, particulary when the velocity is higher. The covering adds a lot of stiffness and improves control response.

Fr the next AM, I will remove Elapor and stiffen with covering. If I could end up with a fully covered plane weighing in at around 30 oz, it would be an even more phenomenal aircraft.

Randy
Old Feb 11, 2007, 04:53 AM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
728 Posts
What do you guys use to cover ur AM's? Any details of the process?
Thanks
bobber is online now Find More Posts by bobber
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:05 AM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber
What do you guys use to cover ur AM's? Any details of the process?
Thanks
bobber,

I use Lightex, which I obtained at the LHS. It is a low temperature film that adheres well to Elapor afterthe material is sanded to remove the molding warts and roughen the surface. Lighex comes in a variety of metallic and solid colors and is quite thin - 0.04mm or 0.0015 in. Because it is thin, it is less opaque than Monocoat or Orocover so light colors should be applied first.

Using a typical iron for film covering, set the iron on a low setting and practice on a scrap of Elapor to find the setting which gives good film adhesion but doesn't cause the Elapor to 'popcorn'.

Randy
Old Feb 11, 2007, 01:51 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Raptor
...the flying performance improved and the battery life increased.
Randy,

Glad to see you checked it in stages. Are you saying that battery life increased even though the plane was 15% (5 oz) heavier? That would mean that the drag associated with foam is MUCH more significant than I ever would have thought.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:46 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
Randy,

Glad to see you checked it in stages. Are you saying that battery life increased even though the plane was 15% (5 oz) heavier? That would mean that the drag associated with foam is MUCH more significant than I ever would have thought.

Alan
Alan,

That is exactly right. My experience with the Magister, Acromaster and MicroJet are all the same, the added weight is more than offset by reduced drag and improved control response. Each of these planes flies far better after being covered.

Randy
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:32 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2004
574 Posts
I'm getting ready to order an Acromaster and I think I'm going to glue in a plywood plate and replace the landing gear. Could someone measure their stock gear and tell me if this would fit as a replacement?

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1815
tran1172 is offline Find More Posts by tran1172
Old Feb 12, 2007, 03:57 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
There's no need to replace the landing gear, the stock arrangement works absolutely fine.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:10 AM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
710 Posts
I agree. I have had zero issues with the stock gear. And I have flown it exclusively off of grass and worse. Several VERY hard landings too. No problem.
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
Joined Sep 2006
209 Posts
Hey guys--even though I spend most of my time in this forum making fun of everyone that takes lightening their plane too seriously, I have a tip for you that might actually be helpful.

Basically, If you're running a low kv motor on 3cells like I am, I have finally found the perfect prop that makes this plane sing: APC 14x4.7 slow flyer. I didn't even know these existed, but I got a tip from a guy at my flying field that you can order them from Hobby Lobby. So, I did, and my acromaster is like a brand new plane. By far the best prop for my setup, which is as follows:

eflite power 25 (very low kv--870 kv I think)
pheonix 60
tp 2200 extremes

that prop really makes the difference--it does 3d as well as a slab now. hovers better, harriers better, snaps better, torque rolls, elevators, parachutes--everything.

Just thought I'd share.
mike
skiermike123 is offline Find More Posts by skiermike123
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:13 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woketman
I agree. I have had zero issues with the stock gear. And I have flown it exclusively off of grass and worse. Several VERY hard landings too. No problem.
I concur. I usually fly from hard surfaces and have also had some hard landings with no problems other than bending the wire back forward. The Hyperion gear will be a bit too wide at the fuse and add some weight, although you could drill or mill out a bit of the aluminum and still be fine. I have a Hyperion SU-31 10e and use these gear since they bend less easily than the stock straight strut type.

Randy
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:35 PM
Irvine, Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiermike123
Hey guys--even though I spend most of my time in this forum making fun of everyone that takes lightening their plane too seriously, I have a tip for you that might actually be helpful.

Basically, If you're running a low kv motor on 3cells like I am, I have finally found the perfect prop that makes this plane sing: APC 14x4.7 slow flyer. I didn't even know these existed, but I got a tip from a guy at my flying field that you can order them from Hobby Lobby. So, I did, and my acromaster is like a brand new plane. By far the best prop for my setup, which is as follows:

eflite power 25 (very low kv--870 kv I think)
pheonix 60
tp 2200 extremes

that prop really makes the difference--it does 3d as well as a slab now. hovers better, harriers better, snaps better, torque rolls, elevators, parachutes--everything.

Just thought I'd share.
mike
The RPM should not be more than 4640 with this prop.

http://www.apcprop.com/html/rpm_limits.html

refers

Tony
ModelTony is offline Find More Posts by ModelTony
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2006
209 Posts
by the way, does anyone fly on 4 cells? Whenever I try to, my engine starts vibrating uncontrolably at peak rpm and makes this awful sound. If you watch it, you can clearly see that at the higher rpm, the engine just isn't solidly enough anchored--there's too much play in the foam--and the engine gets pulled out of line by the prop (this is with a balanced prop, yes). At high rpm you can see the spinner start going back and forth in a blur with about 1cm of travel. It sucks cuz i'd like the extra power!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:30 PM
Joined Sep 2006
209 Posts
The RPM should not be more than 4640 with this prop.

http://www.apcprop.com/html/rpm_limits.html

refers

Tony (quoted)

what does that mean? All I know is that it flies way better than an APC 13x6.5, way better than a 12x6 SF, better than a 13x8, etc. they make a 13x4.7SF that would be good too. I just do what works....