HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2007, 09:52 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Thanks, Ronnie. Don't tempt me with that DX7, man!
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:44 AM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Covering the AM

I have been flying my AM for months and am now getting around to covering it with Lightex, like I do all of my Multiplex planes. I have the wings and horizontal stab/elevator covered now. The planes flies noticeably faster and more efficiently now. Last Friday the wind was about 10mp - I was doing stationary harriers over the runway without a hint of wing rock regardless of being inverted or not.

The covering on so far is a brilliant white that makes the bird really easy to see - canopy is painted flat black for orientation.

I am still flying using the Hyperion Z3013-14, with 11x5.5 prop and 2100 mA-Hr batts getting 10 minutes of 3D flying with a bit of margin.

Once the covering is complete, I'll post some pics and see if I can find someone to shoot video as well.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:45 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Randy,

Sounds cool, can't wait to see them!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:52 AM
Just south of Cambridge, UK
Joined Oct 2003
982 Posts
just started spraying up my 2nd acromaster. ive flown it twice, but i really want colour on it. Going to be red/white/blue. Will post pics
edible_engine is offline Find More Posts by edible_engine
Old Jan 30, 2007, 02:12 PM
Joined Jun 2006
9 Posts
Just for pleasure, some pics of my new acromaster :

more pics on :http://bungymania.com/acromaster/pic...ECT=acromaster

my setup is :

motor: Himax 3516
battery : 3S Flight Power 2500mAh 20C,
props : 11x5.5 APC E
ESC : CC Pheonix 45,
Servos: 2xHS1MG + 2xHS65HB
receiver : MPX RX5

tare weight : 856 g
total weight : 1075g

First flight, first lost of landing gear ;-( and one broken propeller

But I love this plane ! I just need a stronger landing gear !
One question : Do you think that RX5 multiplex receiver is enough for an acromaster.
Yann
iandre is offline Find More Posts by iandre
Old Jan 31, 2007, 01:01 AM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Bungymania

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandre
Just for pleasure, some pics of my new acromaster :

more pics on :http://bungymania.com/acromaster/pic...ECT=acromaster

But I love this plane ! I just need a stronger landing gear !
Nice decoration! It must be easy to see.

Your link to Bungymania got me lookingat the rest of the Bungymania pages about the AcroMaster. On this page

http://bungymania.com/acromaster/index2.html

The results of the motor tests are described. I don't read French so well anymore (took french about 40 years ago in H.S.) but the tables do a good job of summarizing the results. I am somewhat pleased to see that they Hyperion Z3013 appears to match or exceed the performance of the Himax motor in almost every test. Since the Hyperion motor weighs 24 grams less, it seems like a no brainer to choose the Z3013 when weight is a primary consideration. Here in the U.S. the prices for the motors are almost the same.

One of the stunts the peanut gallery at my field likes most is for me to do a rolling full-power take-off with a transition to vertical almost as soon as the wheels leave terra firma and then do five or six fast high-rate rolls on the upline followed by a nice inverted spin coming back down. A couple of the more experienced guys in the club are the ones who beg most for that stunt. Not many other planes could match it. The AM is pure joy to fly!

Randy
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:45 AM
Jimbo and the Jet Set
York
Joined Jul 2005
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Raptor
..... I was doing stationary harriers over the runway without a hint of wing rock regardless of being inverted or not.

Randy
Hi,

I'm trying to do 3d with my acromaster but would really appreciate some tips on the bext c of g location ?

can you tell me where your c of g is please

Thanks
Jimmy_H is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy_H
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:28 AM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_H
Hi,

I'm trying to do 3d with my acromaster but would really appreciate some tips on the bext c of g location ?

can you tell me where your c of g is please

Thanks
Try moving it back a couple of millimeters at a time. After each change, make a flight and go inverted while straight and level. When she rises just a bit in the inverted position, you will be close to the right spot. Note - the plane will become more and more responsive to the elevator as you move the CG back, so be prepared to be a bit softer and quicker on the elevator. Once you get used to doing 3D with the CG a bit rearward, then you can move it back forward to a more neutral position - again a bit at a time - to regain the pitch stability and neutral inverted flying CG. The main thing is practice, practice, practice. I am just getting into 3D. I find it useful to practice harriers in the wind - the plane stays close and I can more easily see the corrections that are required. Once you get a good solid harrier and transition to Harrier, you can move into the hover.

Randy
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:47 AM
Joined Oct 2003
982 Posts
Sorry SD, mostly good advice, apart from one bit. Its bad news having the CG so far back that it climbs, it makes the plane potentially unstable when the right way up, not a good idea. The ideal place for 3D is so the plane just sinks inverted, i mean just so you have to hold a tiney bit of "down" in to get it to carry on level. This keeps it stable for the right way up too. Remember, you dont need an unstable plane to fly 3D, quite the opposite.

Ive found that with my acromasters with the thrust lines as MPX reccomend, the plane should fly as described above. Move it forward for smoother aerobatics.

One thing us electric people have as an advantage, we can move out batteries about to get the optimum CG, not something so easily done on an IC model.

Hope this helps
Ian
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:39 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,472 Posts
I have been screwing around with mine quite a bit and the sweet spot is difficult to nail down.

Ian - Where would you say the measurement is when you hold her up with your fingertips to check balance?

My aft mark is about 4.5" from the LE and it seems decent there. Entering T/Rs are easy. A more forward cg makes it to where I'm pulling full up to T/R the entire time (almost) and that sux.

Upon rolling inverted, it needs very little down to hold her up regardless. 33oz auw (950g)

Mike
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:53 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_engine
Sorry SD, mostly good advice, apart from one bit. Its bad news having the CG so far back that it climbs, it makes the plane potentially unstable when the right way up, not a good idea. The ideal place for 3D is so the plane just sinks inverted, i mean just so you have to hold a tiney bit of "down" in to get it to carry on level. This keeps it stable for the right way up too. Remember, you dont need an unstable plane to fly 3D, quite the opposite.

Ive found that with my acromasters with the thrust lines as MPX reccomend, the plane should fly as described above. Move it forward for smoother aerobatics.

One thing us electric people have as an advantage, we can move out batteries about to get the optimum CG, not something so easily done on an IC model.

Hope this helps
Ian
Ian,

I agree that for the final CG for general flying that a neutral CG is best. But for learning 3D, a slightly rearward CG helps. Once the basics are learned, the CG can be moved to the sweet spot again, which I believe is what I recommended.

Randy
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2003
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEL
I have been screwing around with mine quite a bit and the sweet spot is difficult to nail down.

Ian - Where would you say the measurement is when you hold her up with your fingertips to check balance?

My aft mark is about 4.5" from the LE and it seems decent there. Entering T/Rs are easy. A more forward cg makes it to where I'm pulling full up to T/R the entire time (almost) and that sux.

Upon rolling inverted, it needs very little down to hold her up regardless. 33oz auw (950g)

Mike
Not sure, when i get my new one ready again (its being painted at the moment, very badly!), ill measure for you, itll be the weekend when i next do that

Ian
Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:55 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_engine
Not sure, when i get my new one ready again (its being painted at the moment, very badly!), ill measure for you, itll be the weekend when i next do that

Ian
Thanks bro, and I bet your painting is better than mine.
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Feb 03, 2007, 12:00 AM
all thumbs
Upstate NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
201 Posts
I turned down a job flying an MU-2 from New York to Florida and back this weekend, so that I can finally maiden my AcroMaster. When the boss pressed me about why I couldn't fly the trip, I couldn't think of anything appropriate to say. So I just mumbled enigmaticly about "things to do at home". I didn't expect him to understand why I'd rather fly my new "toy" in freezing cold, than fly a 300-knot full-scale turboprop to sunny Florida. Sometimes we just have to set priorities, and so I'm putting the finishing touches on the Acromaster tonight.

4" of fresh snow on the ground outside- so in addition to final rigging, I've just made a pair of skis from Elapor, scavenged from an old EasyStar.

My setup/mods:

Himax 3516-1130 spinning an APC 11X5.5
Jeti Spin 44
Spektrum AR6000 Rx
2100 mAh 3-cell Lipos (4 of 'em charged and ready)
Futaba S3114 on the ailerons
Hitec HS-85MGs for rudder & elevator
JR XP6102 (Spektrumized) Tx
Substituted a thin strip of CF for the long, heavy aft spars
Stubby forward spar/single carry-through from lighter CF tube
CF landing gear mounted through fuselage 1" higher than stock
4" "indoor" main LG wheels, no pants.
Some internal beefing up was done from the motor mounts to wing roots w/kevlar tow and Sumo Glue (most assembly was with Sumo Glue).
"Painted" with Red and Black Sharpie pens.

Most of the inspiration was from lurking in this thread. Thanks to all of you.

And now she's almost ready!

(edit) A question:

Does anyone know what kind of pitch coupling to expect with a little flaperon extended? I'm considering making the first hop with about 10 degrees flaps down, and I'd like to put in a little flap/elevator mix- if anyone can share baseline information about up/down pitching moments with flap extension (through flaperon mix). In my full-scale experience, low-wing planes usually pitch slightly down with flaps, high-wings do the converse, and I've never flown anything mid-wing with flaps. Ok there was an Aerostar once, but I can't remember if it pitched with flaps. Oh well, there's one sure way to find out in this case...

Wish me luck!
Padesatka is offline Find More Posts by Padesatka
Last edited by Padesatka; Feb 03, 2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2007, 02:15 AM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padesatka
Does anyone know what kind of pitch coupling to expect with a little flaperon extended? I'm considering making the first hop with about 10 degrees flaps down, and I'd like to put in a little flap/elevator mix- if anyone can share baseline information about up/down pitching moments with flap extension (through flaperon mix). In my full-scale experience, low-wing planes usually pitch slightly down with flaps, high-wings do the converse, and I've never flown anything mid-wing with flaps. Ok there was an Aerostar once, but I can't remember if it pitched with flaps. Oh well, there's one sure way to find out in this case...

Wish me luck!
Padesatka,

No need to use any flaps - she is so floaty already that flaps just add unnecessary complication. Looking at the line of the ailerons, I would expect very little pitch coupling, just a bit of negative pitch if any at all with a low flap setting. I recommend trying the AM without flaps for the maiden, then add them if you want on the second or later flight.

Good luck on the maiden! Hope you have decent weather.

Randy