HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:05 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
I went out and bought some Sumo Glue from Lowes today for my AcroMaster. How do I go about using it? The bottle says to clamp the two parts together, but how do I do that with the foam pieces? Can I just use some rubber bands to keep the parts in place while they're drying, or do they really have to be held together tight?
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:14 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
I used masking tape while the slow cyano set.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:17 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Second the masking tape with the sumo glue. Just built my second plane with it. I like it for gluing the fuse halves together but that's about it.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:08 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
So the masking tape doesen't do anything to the foam's finish?
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:26 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Not that I could see, but you need to make sure that you have wiped any excess glue away.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Dec 26, 2006, 05:14 PM
West Palm Beach , FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,063 Posts
What type of paint is used to paint this model ?
ARCHER7153 is offline Find More Posts by ARCHER7153
Old Dec 26, 2006, 05:44 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Hi ARCHER1753,

I used Krylon Fusion for the canopy and spinner. Rustoleum works too, but it takes awhile to dry. Just sand the parts lightly before painting.

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:04 AM
Joined Dec 2006
106 Posts
Acromaster Build Question

After reading all of the great reviews on the Multiplex Acromaster, I finally bought one. I have had no problems during the construction phase until now. I purchased the plane from Tower Hobbies, and I also bought a motor (Great Planes Rimfire 35-48-1000) that is EXACTLY the same size as the one they recommend (Great Planes Rimfire 35-48-1300). The problem is that when I go to attach one of the motor mounts to the motor, the screws aren't in the right place, no matter which way I turn the motor. I called TH and they said that Great Planes makes a brushless motor mount which will allow the piece to fit on the motor. Does anyone know if this will work?? Is it possible that I need to buy a new motor?? Better yet, has anyone built/flown an Acromaster with a Rimfire 35-48-100??

Thanks in advance for any help!
rx20040 is offline Find More Posts by rx20040
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:06 AM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1
Hi ARCHER1753,

I used Krylon Fusion for the canopy and spinner. Rustoleum works too, but it takes awhile to dry. Just sand the parts lightly before painting.

Ronnie
Have you actually tried this Ronnie?

I tried rustoleum on the inside of the canopy and it swells up the beads. Someone posted a picture of this elsewhere.

I bought some foam safe stuff at the hobby store. Don't recall the brand, but it works well.

Whatever you are going to use, test it on an inconspicuous spot first.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:14 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Tommy,

My apologies, I should have clarified. I used Krylon Fusion on the canopy, and Rustoleum on the spinner(it was the only can of red I had ). The spinner is made of EPP, not Elapor. EPP will handle most any paint. Let me clarify by saying that Rustoleum is perhaps not a good choice for Elapor, but Krylon Fusion works fine. Or even better as Tommy stated, look for a foam safe paint.

Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB
Have you actually tried this Ronnie?

I tried rustoleum on the inside of the canopy and it swells up the beads. Someone posted a picture of this elsewhere.

I bought some foam safe stuff at the hobby store. Don't recall the brand, but it works well.

Whatever you are going to use, test it on an inconspicuous spot first.
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Last edited by dawnron1; Dec 28, 2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:29 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
San Diego
Joined Dec 2005
158 Posts
I have used Rustoleum on many of the Multiplex Elapor planes. The trick is to use light coats (and let it dry) and hold the can as far away as possible. It seems the propellent is actually what attacks the foam. With my AcroMaster I used Rustoleum Gloss Black for the Canopy.

Shawn
Hitec/Multiplex
sspiker is offline Find More Posts by sspiker
Old Dec 28, 2006, 02:16 PM
When in doubt, Wing it.
Carlsbad, California, USA
Joined Jun 2005
33 Posts
Sumo Glue - I agree that it is best used on major structural parts like the fuse halves. That would include the motor mount which is subject to much vibration and periodic unintended shear loads (Crashes). It works better than CA here because it is thicker and more flexable. It is less likely to crack or tear out the foam surrounding the motor mount.

Low tack blue masking tape will not damage the surface of the foam and only presents problems if you get a little foaming of the glue where the joined surfaces meet and the tape gets glued to the airframe. No big deal, just a little extra work to remove it.

Paint - Tamaia for plastics works as well as possible over elepor. It dries quickly so it is much less likely to bleed under your masking tape and you can attain some really nice color blends with it. I will post a pic of my AM when I get home. Most people assume that it was air brushed.

Only problem with the Tamaia is the cost. It is a little pricey - about $4 for a small can. Another good choice is the Hangar 9 paint that matches their ultracote colors. It takes longer to dry but a large can is about $7 so it is cheaper to use and the result is about as durable as the Tamaia.

Monte
TheWingman is offline Find More Posts by TheWingman
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:24 AM
Joined Aug 2003
313 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm wondeing if the Hyperion z3013-14 (1085 kV) swinging a 10x7 at around 31 amps on 3s 2100s. Would be ok with this plane? Is a 10 inch prop just too small? I know I'd be giving up on some of the 3d aspects of this plane, but will it fly respectiable patternish maneuvers? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers, N_G
Nutty_gnome is offline Find More Posts by Nutty_gnome
Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:01 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty_gnome
Hey guys,

I'm wondeing if the Hyperion z3013-14 (1085 kV) swinging a 10x7 at around 31 amps on 3s 2100s. Would be ok with this plane? Is a 10 inch prop just too small? I know I'd be giving up on some of the 3d aspects of this plane, but will it fly respectiable patternish maneuvers? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers, N_G
Nutty,

I have this motor running an 11x5.5 or 12x6 prop on 3sx2200 TP batts. The bird flies great with this setup, fine for pattern or 3D. The 10x7 prop would work as well with less thrust but a bit more prop speed. The motor is light and powerful - a very good match with one caveat - only two of the motor mounting screw holes line up with the standard mounting plate. This has created no problem for me, just be sure to use a little lock-tite to keep the screws from vibtating loose.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
Old Dec 31, 2006, 07:55 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Raptor
Nutty,

I have this motor running an 11x5.5 or 12x6 prop on 3sx2200 TP batts. The bird flies great with this setup, fine for pattern or 3D. The 10x7 prop would work as well with less thrust but a bit more prop speed. The motor is light and powerful - a very good match with one caveat - only two of the motor mounting screw holes line up with the standard mounting plate. This has created no problem for me, just be sure to use a little lock-tite to keep the screws from vibtating loose.

Randy
Randy,
how many amps are you drawing with the 11inch prop?
I want to keep my power draw to around 30amp max and was originally thinking of using the recommended Himax with a smaller [around 9x5] prop,
but this Hyperion looks to be an alternative. My reading of the tables suggest that the Z3013-14 with an 11x5.5prop has a max amp draw 27.5 on 3s.
Is this what you are getting?

Ron
Wilron is offline Find More Posts by Wilron