HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2006, 05:22 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2006
58 Posts
Can anyone help with some advice re lower powered AM?
I want to use a 30amp cont 40max esc with the recommended Himax motor,
no undercarriage and a folding prop of about 9X5 size, 3s lipo 20c, 2x hs65s and 2xhs81s.
3D is not required just enough power for descent aeros.
Will this smaller than recommended size prop keep current below 30amps and will the AM perform as an aerobat with this setup?
Prop must be a folder as u/c doesn't work at my field.
Esc I want to use what I have already.

Ron
Wilron is offline Find More Posts by Wilron
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:52 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilron
no undercarriage and a folding prop of about 9X5 size, 3s lipo 20c, 2x hs65s and 2xhs81s.
Will this smaller than recommended size prop keep current below 30amps and will the AM perform as an aerobat with this setup?

Ron
Ron,

That should work pretty well. For aeros, you should be pulling only around 15 amps except during ascents when you may pull up to 30 during short vertical legs. You'll lose some weight and drag without the gear. Flying lighter, you can almost drop straight down to land. If the 9 inch prop is a bit too weak, you can move up one inch and have plenty.

Let us know how it goes.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:00 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilron

Ron
I used the same motor, ESC, TP2100, etc as you on a similar weight foamy with a 9x6 prop and it was just fine. If I recall, I think I could get 12+ minutes of flight time with mostly parallel flying. I only get ~8 minutes of that kind of flying with my AM using an 11x5.5.

As for taking off on a poor grass field, I had that issue once but it was solved with 3 inch MPI wheels part # EPW300.
http://aeromicro.com/Catalog/mpi_ind...0__4906841.htm And the Magister, rubber-band/wire mod to the LG works great for landings.
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:58 AM
Australia
Joined Sep 2006
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
I used the same motor, ESC, TP2100, etc as you on a similar weight foamy with a 9x6 prop and it was just fine. If I recall, I think I could get 12+ minutes of flight time with mostly parallel flying. I only get ~8 minutes of that kind of flying with my AM using an 11x5.5.

As for taking off on a poor grass field, I had that issue once but it was solved with 3 inch MPI wheels part # EPW300.
http://aeromicro.com/Catalog/mpi_ind...0__4906841.htm And the Magister, rubber-band/wire mod to the LG works great for landings.
Thanks, grass is too long so we are resigned to hand launch and belly land.
Wilron is offline Find More Posts by Wilron
Old Dec 19, 2006, 03:17 AM
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
Randy,
Thanks, yes, the plane is much better now: less power, but less weight as well.
Ron your setup looks good BUT beware of the folding props, they usually are worse than fixed equivalents (mora A draw, less thrust). With tall grass you must have no problem with a fixed prop however. And I think a 10x5 can do with that ESC of yours, specially if you are not much power hungry flying (steady left hand... well in our Mode 2 at least, maybe you nedd a steady right hand instead in Mode 1).
Josep
armengol is offline Find More Posts by armengol
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:17 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Hello all,

Well, I finished my Acro Master last night(this will be for an upcoming review on RC Groups). WOW, what a fast build! I decided to use some "rubberized" CA from BSI, they claim it's more flexible than the regular stuff. The canopy was a snap to paint with Krylon Fusion after some light sanding and masking with painter's tape. I plan to use the Himax spinner/prop adapter for the maiden flight tomorrow. Is anyone using the stock spinner? Seems like it would fly off at high rpm's

Thanks very much to everyone on the thread for your invaluable help!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:52 AM
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
No, the spinner is one of those great ideas from Multiplex: when you see you cannot believe it gonna work, but... it does! Probably has to do with its low weight, but the idea is good and well executed. I have changed prop many times testing and still "ok"
Josep
armengol is offline Find More Posts by armengol
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:16 AM
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Hi Josep,

So you just basically pressed it on the adapter, with no CA, hot glue, etc.?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:14 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,632 Posts
Trust the spinner, it wont came off in flight!
But, nevertheless, be sure that the plastic piece where the spinner "click" be centered in the shaft.

Mine isn't and in 30 flights the spinner stands still in his place.
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Dec 20, 2006, 02:31 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
San Diego
Joined Dec 2005
156 Posts
When the first AcroMaster arrived here in the U.S. we all gathered around the conference room table to examine all the pieces. I pulled out the Elapor spinner and a collective "Huh????" appeared on all our faces. We had our doubts but I am glad to say we were wrong. It works very well! Even provides a little cushion at the nose as I have found after a cartwheel down a paved runway.

Shawn
Hitec/Multiplex USA
sspiker is offline Find More Posts by sspiker
Old Dec 20, 2006, 02:45 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
7,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1
"rubberized" CA from BSI
Hiya Ron,
Got any more info?? The only rubberized CA I've ever found is Loctite Black Max, but it's BLACK and $20 a bottle
You find something different?? LMK!

Thanks dood!

Brian
punkindrublik is offline Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Holy Tiny Transmitter Batman
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Hey Brian,

It's a CA made by Bob Smith Industries and is called INSTA-FLEX+

Just scroll down this page and look for the one in Mary Kay pink :

http://www.bsiadhesives.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik
Hiya Ron,
Got any more info?? The only rubberized CA I've ever found is Loctite Black Max, but it's BLACK and $20 a bottle
You find something different?? LMK!

Thanks dood!

Brian
jmralves,

Thanks, I will indeed trust the spinner!

Hi Shawn,

Thanks very much, I said the same thing about the spinner when I opened the box! I may have to add that as an interesting side note in the review
Last edited by dawnron1; Dec 20, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 04:01 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
713 Posts
I tried my MPX spinner once. At anything over 3/4 throttle I could visually see a vibration. So I went back to the Himax aluminum nut/spinner. Any suggestions?
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Dec 20, 2006, 04:34 PM
Irvine, Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspiker
When the first AcroMaster arrived here in the U.S. we all gathered around the conference room table to examine all the pieces. I pulled out the Elapor spinner and a collective "Huh????" appeared on all our faces. We had our doubts but I am glad to say we were wrong. It works very well! Even provides a little cushion at the nose as I have found after a cartwheel down a paved runway.

Shawn
Hitec/Multiplex USA
According to the parts list the spinner and the spats (pants) are made of moulded EPP not Elapor. What ever the material, the spinner certainly works well.

Tony
ModelTony is offline Find More Posts by ModelTony
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:51 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
San Diego
Joined Dec 2005
156 Posts
Quote:
According to the parts list the spinner and the spats (pants) are made of moulded EPP not Elapor. What ever the material, the spinner certainly works well.

Tony
It does appear the formula is a little different on the spinner and the spats...next time I sit down with the Multiplex Airplane Team I will have to pick their brains on the subtle differences between EPP and Elapor.

Shawn
Hitec/Multiplex USA
sspiker is offline Find More Posts by sspiker