SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:38 PM
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Joined May 2004
1,672 Posts
If you want it superlight , you can try a depron Knockoff of this design . Some guys in Swiss made a depron Jumping-jack that was a good plane at half the weight.

Nose explosion: they recommend a motor,prop combo . Surely in the intruction is a warning about modifying the design . I always do mods ,sometimes they fail sometimes are a vast improvement, thatīs life.
This type of fail is surely present on those balsa planes with too light motor cages .
Also noted early in this thread is the fact that Modelmotors recommends folding props even for aerobatics ,flaping of the blades cures your problem to some exent , they want his bearings to last also.

Cheers.
chichisport is offline Find More Posts by chichisport
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
When in doubt, Wing it.
Carlsbad, California, USA
Joined Jun 2005
33 Posts
I think Skiermike may already be from another planet....but seriously folks, the AM rocks! No problems with durability yet but I don't have a large number of flights on the airframe. It does inspire confidence...first flight for trimming resulted in a couple clicks of "up" then on to the fun stuff. I found myself doing aerobatics I have never done on a maiden before because the AM inspires so much confidence (overconfidence?).

Need to upgrade my TP Prolite 2100's before going too balistic in high-alpha. They have been only warm upon landing but I don't want to push them. Haven't looked at current draw yet but I can tell that the plane lacks punch in hover with the Eflite.10 and a 12X6 APC e prop and 40 A Speed control with AUW of 33.5 oz.

It's a nice canvas for artistic expression too. Photos to follow soon.
TheWingman is offline Find More Posts by TheWingman
Old Dec 11, 2006, 06:17 PM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by armengol
Hi guys,
Then came the third fly, and after some inverted barrel action, when cruising along to relax a bit... something went wrong: the fuse front end broke and the motor went away. Fortunately the pack showed on the front balancing it somewhat and the plane landed nicely, but still looking for my beloved 2820/10...
If you look at the broken front (pics enclosed) I see this is really TOO FRAGILE. Too small thickness of material here, this is elapor, not a solid thing. I will repair, but this plane need some tape or reinforcements here.... or had I a defective one and am alone on this? (my props are well balanced and everything sounded nice and right btw).
Regards
Josep
Josep,

I ripped the nose out of my AM on Saturday - Hyperion Z3013-14 with 12x6 prop. She flew great on 3s packs and after draining two packs I stuck in a 4s pack. Gave her full throttle to take off and the motor flew forward, taking the nose with it. The nose definitely has a torque limit which I exceeded with the 4s pack and big prop - I shoould have propped back to 11x5.5 or 10x5 but forgot.

I CA'd it all back together and will try it on only 3s from now on. I have some very light CA roving (like a tape but only the fibers) that I may wind around the nose to reinforce it.

I think the plane is designed fine for the recommended power setup - it certainly can't handle TOO much more.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:22 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Raptor

I ripped the nose out of my AM on Saturday
Sorry to hear that Randy

Did it have about the same tear pattern as Josep's??
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:36 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
I ripped the nose off of mine on Friday, tore off in the same place...but I hit the ground at full throttle. I CA'd and GOOP'ed it back together today and it flies fine. This plane is very durable (this was not my first crash) and it's easy to fix.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:38 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padesatka
You could try a planet with less gravity.
This may be the funniest thing I've ever read in RCGroups.

Pete (who's not that easy to get chuckling)
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:46 PM
Joined Sep 2006
134 Posts
What motor would work best for this plane?
Trexflyr is offline Find More Posts by Trexflyr
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:56 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Are the wheelpants supposed to be a Left and Right set, or are there two identical pairs? Mine came with two identical pairs, but at least it's foam--I was able to move the plastic re-inforcement to the opposite half and make a L/R pair. I think I'll be mostly flying off grass, so I don't know how long the wheelpants will be on it anyhow...
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:00 AM
SD_Raptor
San Deigo, CA
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik
Sorry to hear that Randy

Did it have about the same tear pattern as Josep's??

Yes, a very similar break. Every thing fit back together nicely so it will fly and look decent again but before trying so much power I will have to make reinforcements.

When I was repairing, it was obvious that this was a twisting tear from torque, not a fracture from too much weight in the nose combined with hard landings. Reinforcing with CF roving shouldn't add more than a few grams if I am judicious with the epoxy. I'll have to remember to get some longer uring time epoxy as well - the 30 minute sutuff will cure too fast to get it sufficnetly thin and uniform.

I'll post pics when I do the reinforcement.

Randy
SD_Raptor is offline Find More Posts by SD_Raptor
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:29 AM
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Oct 2004
484 Posts
Randy my experiences with Elapor and epoxy reinforcements from past models are not that good. Much better is to use Cyano and some carbon or glass fibers, even glass fiber reinforced tape.
Good luck anyway, unfortunately I lost most of the front part (and my beloved 2820, not yet found and recovered) and am doing a wood motor mount and God knows what else to let it look not much ugly :-S
Josep
armengol is offline Find More Posts by armengol
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:29 AM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,808 Posts
Yeah, stay away from epoxy...

Brian
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:11 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
736 Posts
From my experience epoxy doesn't stick well to elapor..... CA or PU glue is the choice
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:09 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
A question for AcroMaster owners - have you sanded off all the moulding marks, even if you are not painting it? Do the stickers apply OK if you don't sand the moulding marks off?

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:17 PM
Jantel
Surrey UK
Joined Dec 2003
178 Posts
Mike

I sanded mine before assembly, this made things much simpler - not a 5 minute job either but a little patience and 400 grade Wet / Dry saw it done.

I glued the wings and fuz then placed all the stickers before final assembly they stick well to the Elapor as long as your greasy fingers haven't touched the virgin surface.

Excellent model with the recommended Himax

Terry
jantel is offline Find More Posts by jantel
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:33 PM
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Joined May 2004
1,672 Posts
If you heat slightly the stickers onces in place and pass a soft cloth over then , the film softens and adapts better to the rough surface , permanent gluing but test in scrap or in the inner of the wings first , too much heat and your AM will look like it was bite by a snake !!! The pressed (and flat) balls in the surface will take his original shape , ughhh.
chichisport is offline Find More Posts by chichisport