HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2006, 09:24 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjotrrr
FMS is not capable for good 3D flight simulation like Aerofly Pro Deluxe can do, could be the reason they won't publish this one?
That may be true, but I have found at least one model that seems to do 3D well, though I must admit that I am not a real good 3D flyer. Try the SouthernX4 FMS Model.

Per the plane's designer: “SouthernX-4 FMS model is completely realistic. I spent huge time on the setup of this FMS model.”
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:37 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Elapor spinner?

I looked at the Dutch build thread posted by Pjotrrr (thanks!!) and they have some good info and pictures. Too bad my dutch to english translation software can't translate it perfectly...

Anyway, I noticed that the spinner seems to be made from Elapor. My first thought was that it was a cheap solution and would get torn too easily - but then I realized just how ingenious it is, having a shock absorbing spinner! I'd rather replace a few of these (or make some Elapor soup to straighten it out) than have the force of a nose-in bend my motor shaft or damage the firewall. Clever!

Pjottrr: What are the wheels made of and what size are they? They look different than other wheels I've seen - or maybe its just the lighting. My field has pretty thick grass which is why I'm asking.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 02:25 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
I just found the answers to the above in the instructions. The main wheels are 2 inches (62mm) moulded EPP foam and the spinner is also moulded EPP foam. The tail wheel is 1 inch (26mm) plastic.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 02:47 PM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
The wheels and spinner are indeed made of Elapor too, a very sturdy and light solution.
The spinner clamps on a plastic ring without glue, you can just pop it off to adjust down or righttrust and put it on again

Every wheelpant has a wheelcollar, the one that gets in the plastic part does not need glue, before glueing the other wheelcollar on the Elapor with thick CA it's advised to put some grease where the bolt goes into the collar to prevent glueing that too
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:03 AM
Joined Apr 2005
776 Posts
This thing just flies beautiful. To give an indication of what its capable of, harrier, knife edge loops, etc are no problem at all and it flies them beautifully. A friend was even doing CLIMBING inverted flat spins with it on the maiden flight.

The only complaint i have is that i think the model is a bit heavy for the landing gear or else the grass at my field is too long. At any rate its impossible to get it to roll well when landing and ive reverted to hand launching it for take off's.
AnnihilaT is offline Find More Posts by AnnihilaT
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:35 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Best wheels for grass

AnnihilaT,

Thanks for the flight report! How does the AM fly compared to Balsa equivalents like the Prodigy, Quiet Storm, or Brio 10?

As for your difficulties with the grass, with all the rain we've had this year, our grass has gotten really thick and even 2.5 inch Dubro Diamond Lite wheels are struggling. I started the below thread last weekend looking for the best wheels for small planes in grass. Looks like the overwhelming majority suggest the MPI EPW300's. I haven't received mine yet, but will update the below post with results. The downside is that you'll have to loose the pretty wheel pants until winter die-back

Thread - Best wheels for grass

Alan
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:57 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlatan
Jeremy. Finished my Acromaster yesterday, just waiting for the wind to calm down now to maiden her. You should be fine with the 4.2mah battery, as I'm going to be using a 3s 5200mah in mine (3s4p 1300's), and there are no balance issues with this (although I have some 2000mah 20C packs on their way as well).

What are you using for power? I have an Axi 2820-10 in mine using an APC 11x5.5 prop.
I'm using an E-Flite Power 10 (1100 kv, 375 W max), with the same prop. E-Flite recommends the prop, and electricalc calculations come out favorably with a similar Hacker.

I'm just concerned over the inevitable loss of some of the AcroMaster's low speed performance. I will probably eventually bite the bullet & buy a 20 C 2000 mAh LiPo just to find out what I'm missing. However, there is usually at least a 5-10 mph wind here, so the extra weight will probably come in handy for everyday-type flying.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:58 AM
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Joined May 2004
1,667 Posts
AnnihilaT,

Please make a video with the 3d stuff , no matter the resolution .
If the plane is "3d" enough ,you can do harrier landings ;If the landing gear collapses is not a problem on elapor planes, but a prop saver will be needed.

Cheers.
chichisport is offline Find More Posts by chichisport
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:13 AM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihilaT
The only complaint i have is that i think the model is a bit heavy for the landing gear or else the grass at my field is too long. At any rate its impossible to get it to roll well when landing and ive reverted to hand launching it for take off's.
I'm sorry to hear they did not go with beefy landing gear for the weight of the plane, as they did on the MiniMag. I frequently fly out of long grass too, and do not really feel comfortable with prop savers.

When you land it on long grass, (conventionally, not harrier) do the wheels catch and nose the plane over? Any problems with breaking props so far? Have you tried it without the wheel pants? That should help a bit. I probably will skip the wheel pants, given your comments.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:14 AM
Me likes Depron...
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
I would not recommend a propsaver (or slowflyprops) with 375 Watts of power...
@JeremyZ: Mine does fine with a 275 grams lipopack and an AUW of 1170 grams...
With 5-10mph winds I see no reason to go lighter.

The landinggear is indeed to weak for a bit of a rough landing, but it can be bend in shape again easily
Our field is very smooth with short grass so no problem with the wheelpants...
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:28 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
979 Posts
I know I posted this somewhere before, but does anyone see a problem going with a geared Mega 16-15-3 3:1 (1000kv at the prop) compared to the
himaxx/ Eflight 10 (1100kv). I am planning on going 3s2p with two tp2100s.
I figure if it doesn't work, I can switch to the outrunner later easily enough.

Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:55 AM
Me likes Depron...
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Just try it, won't be enough for real 3D though, but good enough for acrobatics.... for full 3D you need the advised 375 Watts....
Also fitting it to the motormount could be a problem...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:46 AM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,007 Posts
What about a Axi 2814/ 12 would this be a good choice?. I have to go buy one so I want the best one. A friend has this one for $70 used once. What size ESC for this motor? TIA D2
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:07 AM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon 2
What about a Axi 2814/ 12 would this be a good choice?. I have to go buy one so I want the best one. A friend has this one for $70 used once. What size ESC for this motor? TIA D2
Take the time to read through this thread. It is really worth your while for choosing a power system. That question has already been answered.

One guy (I forget who at the moment) suggested that the absolute best way to go would be with a geared inrunner motor of about 350 - 375 W. Since they are typically about 10% more efficient than even a good outrunner, you will get 10% more power "for free". Well, not free, as the quality geared inrunners are expensive compared to outrunners. But again, that's back in the thread.

What I do sometimes is read the thread and start a note sheet, (in Word) writing down data and opinions that I think might be useful. When I'm done, I can make a very informed decision.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:33 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
What I do sometimes is read the thread and start a note sheet, (in Word) writing down data and opinions that I think might be useful. When I'm done, I can make a very informed decision.
I thought I was the only one that did that