SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2002, 08:10 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Zagi Combat - Full contact style

My clubs' annual Father's Day fly-in had an impromptu combat with 7 Zagi's. About 8 minutes of sheer fun. BTW, no one hit anything but the ground!!! But it was still fun. All the spectators were mesmirized.

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2002, 09:48 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
And they wouldn't let me play 'cause I own a VIper Twin. Think I intimidated them?????

VP
Old Jun 17, 2002, 10:53 AM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
haha sounds fun. To bad the AMA is banning it!! But we could always but 3 inch streamers on our wingtips and "try" to hit them not the plane I have a Razor, havent flown with streamers yet, bet it would look cool doing rolls!
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Jun 17, 2002, 01:38 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,387 Posts
My neighbor and I played ZagNutz "tag" all weekend long (don't say combat...shhhhh.... that's such a BAAAaad word!) So we just tried to see how "close" we could get to each other. Oh yeah, and we attempted some 90 degree formation flying too! Darn it, Steve got too close to me once and made my ZagNutz fall to the ground after the prop came off. And after that, I guess I just got too excited and came in too close to Steve's plane and they "touched" right there in mid-air... TWICE! It was amazing when his battery pack was dangling from under his ZagNutz.....

Combat? No, no, no.... would NEVER think of doing that, but synchronized circle flying... THAT'S another story!

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jun 17, 2002, 02:19 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
At the last Zagi-Palooza here, there were up to 14 Zagis flying combat at once, and there was LOTS of contact! Very cool!

==To bad the AMA is banning it!! ==

At AMA designated fields! They don't have control over every patch of land out there though. I've got news for the AMA, they'll likely see a fat drop in membership and people running away from AMA fields to "renegade" fields to enjoy themselves. They can ban the fun on designated fields, but they sure can't stop it from happening.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 17, 2002, 02:59 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Didn't know about the AMA ruling!!! This was an AMA sanctioned event (at least I thought it was)

VP
Old Jun 17, 2002, 03:35 PM
Profiled Interfraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
they'll likely see a fat drop in membership and people running away from AMA fields to "renegade" fields to enjoy themselves.
Not only for that reason, but they're also talking about raising their dues again.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jun 17, 2002, 03:56 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I agree i think AMA will find a drop in their memberships. By the way As far as i know up here in Canada with the MAAC combate is Just fine!

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jun 17, 2002, 04:10 PM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
this is another example of living in an increasing 'nanny state' where we want nothing to go wrong.
eating yoghurt is more dangerous IMO

Pete
Peter W is offline Find More Posts by Peter W
Old Jun 17, 2002, 09:42 PM
Joined Jun 2002
10 Posts
Other insurance???

Hi,
I just read that the AMA tries to ban zagi-combat. I was send over to the USA 6 month ago with the german air force and enjoyed flying in the US. Then I changed over from my german insurance to AMA since AMA is also required on many fields.

But now I have to read that this country doesn't seem to be that free as everyone thinks it is. Isn't that funny?!? What the **** is free if I can't decide what to do in my sparetime? Maybe some ****ing Bin Laden idiots may exercise crashing planes into each other with zagis or what

Well, at the end of the year I will not renew my membership and just like to know where to get another insurance?

Thanks so far
Michael
Nobody-Orti is offline Find More Posts by Nobody-Orti
Old Jun 17, 2002, 10:05 PM
Lambertville,nj, usa
Joined May 2000
352 Posts
The AMA has not banned full contact combat YET. The AMA safety committee will be proposing to make the intentional collision of two model aircraft a prohibited action under the AMA Safety Code. If this proposal is adopted it will effectively end slope combat, Zagi combat, and any other form of full contact combat. You must call, E-mail, or snail mail your AMA district VP and tell them that you participate in this activity and do it safely and responsibly. At my club we designate specific times for combat and use a set area for the combat to occur. Pilots are separated from the action and spectators are kept a safe distance back. Only speed 400 foam based electric planes(Zagis, T-52s, etc) are used. I have spoken to my district VP, Dave Mathewson and he has told me that he does NOT support a total ban but would like to see a few basic guidelines (as noted above) set up to keep this exciting event alive and safe. Please be positive in the message you send. The Executive Council are the folks who will decide this issue and they are the ones to contact. The next EC meeting is in mid July so don't delay in getting the message to your representatives.

Ed

AMA#F5B4ME
ED B is online now Find More Posts by ED B
Old Jun 17, 2002, 10:13 PM
Joined Jun 2002
10 Posts
well, sounds better

Hi,
that indeed makes some kind of sence and I will review my decission not to renew my membership... It just sounded so crazy to me when I read the first postings about this!

Michael
Nobody-Orti is offline Find More Posts by Nobody-Orti