Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by mharms, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 01:41 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Discussion
Recycling Bahoma Magnets

Getting good at recycling the magnets from my dead Plantraco Bahoma cells. I killed my only two 160mAh Bahoma cells by running them down too low, so now the magnets live a second life in a 210mAh cell and a 160mAh cell from MaxAmps (nice cell). You absolutely must have a low temp soldering iron to do this -- or you'll kill the magnets. I took a bunch of pics of the process and I'll post a thread on this in the Micro forum soon. Here's a pic of my new 160mAh cell with the recycled magnets. Works great.
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2006, 08:38 AM
Joined Jan 2005
119 Posts
Cool. Did you use low T solder too? or just the solder already on the magnets?
By the way, what charger are you using for 160mah - did you make a magnetic interface also?

Xdim
Xdim is offline Find More Posts by Xdim
Old Apr 07, 2006, 03:38 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
I added a little TIX low temp solder on top of what was left of Plantraco's original solder. For sure, you should "tin" the new battery tabs before soldering them to the old battery magnet PCB. You can google "TIX solder" and find some sources that describe it. I use TIX flux also, since some regular fluxes may not be very active at low temps. I think Plantraco has used TIX on some of their Bahoma cells, but I am not sure if they still use it or have selected another low temp solder these days. TIX works fine, although it does get into a "plastic" state before it fully melts and it ends up not so shiny as regular electronics solder. After playing with it, I found a soldering temperature of 200C worked well with a very small chisel tip. A tip with more surface area might allow you to use 190C.

For charging, I used the Didel BAPI thingies for the magnetic interface and a single cell charger I got a while back from smarttoolsinc.com. I just set it to 130mA for charging my 140, 160, and 170mAh cells. If I'm not in a hurry, I charge using my Plantraco TX (which is fixed at something like 70mA).

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Old Jun 04, 2007, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2007
19 Posts
Hi

I am a new rc user. This is my first question, there was so many interesting
things in here that i was just reading, and reading, for a while.
anyway. Could you help me. Where do you buy these kind of batteries.
and my Second question is. If i have a reciever with 2 motors, and the esc
Is with in the reciever(the new airplains which change direction with motor controller insted of rodders).

What i want to ask is what are my chances to change the system So that
I have One biger motor, and 2 acuators. Is it possible to do that ?

any help will be apirishiated.

thank you.
Bishi
Bishi is offline Find More Posts by Bishi