HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:39 PM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
Discussion
airfoil coordinate extraction

Hello designers/builders,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a set of airfoils (root and tip) that have been generated and printed I believe in Profili. Have dxf. and dat. file for each profile also. What I'm looking for is a method to generate a set of electronic coordinates to provide to my cnc foam guy to cut a set of cores.

I do not have Profili or other similar program.

Thanks,

Craig.
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:58 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
The dxf and dat files are text, with the coordinates listed in order.. getting the numbers from the files usually means importing the file as text into a word processor, then figuring out how to eliminate the numbers that aren't coordinates.
There's a lot of header information in a dxf file that is of value, you have to figure out where that stops and where the coordinate information begins.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2006, 01:20 PM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
If you need standard CNC G-code files, that's easy. Download ACEconverter (free) from Yeager Automation's site and it will convert a .dxf file into G-code.

However, I suspect you need the file type that most CNC foam cutters use which I don't think is standard G-code. I'm not familiar with it myself but if you'll do a search for "CNC foam cutting" here on the Ezone, you'll find plenty of info. I'm sure someone here will help you out. There's also a Yahoo user's group for CNC foam cutting.
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Feb 05, 2006, 05:27 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant
Hello designers/builders,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a set of airfoils (root and tip) that have been generated and printed I believe in Profili. Have dxf. and dat. file for each profile also. What I'm looking for is a method to generate a set of electronic coordinates to provide to my cnc foam guy to cut a set of cores.

I do not have Profili or other similar program.

Thanks,

Craig.
Ask to your CNC guy the file format he needs!
A dat file includes Electronic coordinates (as you call them), but this may be cannot solve the problem
durone is offline Find More Posts by durone
Old Feb 05, 2006, 09:20 AM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
The dat file is not suitable for him. He requires a coordinate set that can be loaded into Compufoil or something of that nature. I'm not sure exactly how he drives his cutter.
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Feb 05, 2006, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
In my version of Compufoil, it uses a file named *.cor to generate the airfoil outlines. The *.dat format is another format using same coordinate values, but in different order. There used to be a conversion of *.dat to *.cor available.

However, none the less either results are a bit on the crude side. The *.dxf is still a much more accurate format which incorporates rounding of the lines through the major points. It also will enable you to derermine direction of the linework, which is important in CNC uses. I have also on occasion run up against errors in Compufoil in which it goes whacko on the lower curves, of less than 20%. The lines do not connect, and thus you have to correct such in CAD.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber