HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2006, 08:13 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Discussion
Electric Supermarine Seagull 381 Amphibian Plus...

Hi has any one out there got a copy of Electric flight International from Jan /Feb 1998..
I have Bought the plan for this Rare Electric 60" span Amphibian but it would be nice to have a read before I start building. Or any other non web based info please.
A scanned copy would be brilliant we are on B Band so large files are not a problem [IMG]xxx[/IMG]

The other Item Id like to point out is a research /data thread Ive started over in waterplanes Free Plans and great links ..The hope is it will act as a usefull starting point and reference for Anyone interested in Flying off water Scale or otherwise ..if someone can sticky it it ..hint hint.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448080
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 14, 2007 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2006, 06:49 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,957 Posts
Do have the relevant info but am not on broadband so don't really want to scan and send. Could photocopy and mail if you get no other replies. Also have seven pages on the Seagull ASR.1 in the book Supermarine Aircraft since 1914 plus numerous other items from Air Enthusiast and other sources. If you do need only cost is that of photocopying and mail. Regards David
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Feb 05, 2006, 06:16 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson
Do have the relevant info but am not on broadband so don't really want to scan and send. Could photocopy and mail if you get no other replies. Also have seven pages on the Seagull ASR.1 in the book Supermarine Aircraft since 1914 plus numerous other items from Air Enthusiast and other sources. If you do need only cost is that of photocopying and mail. Regards David
David thank you for your kind offer...we will see if anyone in the UK comes forward to assist first but its good to Know someone has the stuff I have a couple of ISBN refs..but the library system would take a long time to get hold of them if it could. I think that's one.
I had considered taking the scale aspect further and building it round a working contra prop drive and just possibly .....incorporating a working variable incidence wing.

This is a huge thread but this is where I pitched in go forward or back Eljibo is the 500W Contra rotating brushless master http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=27&pp=15
History and pics
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466629
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Feb 05, 2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,957 Posts
I visited Traplet in the late 1990's and at that time they operated a huge warehouse of back issues to all their mags. As you are in the UK I strongly suspect that if you give them a ring or E-mail they will tell you if they have a back issue of that mag.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 03:45 PM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
577 Posts
Hi,
I will have a look in the shed tomorrow. Can you tell me what the cover may look like? I have all the mags since issue one. Bill
gyronuts is offline Find More Posts by gyronuts
Old Feb 05, 2006, 03:56 PM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
577 Posts
Found it! I will scan the four pages for you. I have attached the pages at 42kb. I can send them to you at up to 2mb per page if you want.What is your e-mail address?
Bill
Last edited by gyronuts; Feb 05, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 04:30 PM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
577 Posts
efi1

pic one Higher quality
Last edited by gyronuts; Feb 05, 2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 04:37 PM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
577 Posts
Better pics
Old Feb 05, 2006, 07:17 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
jackpot thats my baby

Brilliant thats the kite ..Ive added a couple of links to a previouse entry above to fill in a few gaps for the interested bodies...and Ive sent you a PM and E mail address. thanks
Old Feb 08, 2006, 04:39 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Brilliant responce thanks ...now a question of incidence

Can anyone ..Dave H ...describe how /where the variable incidence wing acted on this aircraft. I know it wentf rom 2.5 degrees to 12 in take off mode. Would that the whole wing or would the centre stay fixed?
Old Feb 09, 2006, 02:18 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
968 Posts
I've got a cutaway from 'The Aeroplane' but it's not very clear. The front spar was the pivot and the rear spar was cranked up and down. The front spar pivot was near the lower edge of the spar.

The whole wing moved but the pylon/nacelle (called the 'bridge' on the cutaway) had no moving section. There looks to be quite a large gap to allow movement of the rear spar.

One article I have says the range of movement was 0 degrees to +13, normal position being +2 degrees. Another article says -2 degrees to +12.5, normal position 0 degrees.
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Feb 09, 2006, 05:40 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Fantastic!

That's very helpful thanks ..I had an idea it might be like that as vectoring a contra rotating Griffin and Prop as well would be a bit too much of a challenge.

For the model I consider using foam core wings with tubular spars plugging onto...or into matched tube mounts on the engine pod/bridge center section. A servo acting on a second trailing spar..possibly on a worm drive to crank it up and down ??...........I shall refer back to my plan.

That's an awesome amount of Flap showing in that last photo.

Seagull 381 stats...according to my book ........not a primary source.
The Span is 16M /52'6"
Length13.46m/44'1"
Speed was 260mph Range 1230 miles
Variable wing incidence between 2.5&12 degrees.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Feb 11, 2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 04:13 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
line of movement

Im just checking but?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,957 Posts
Zephyr is right and in fact that gap caused considerable turbulence and buffeting which was solved by fitting rubber sealing strips. As an aside, the wings were produced at the Supermarine "out-works" located in Castle Road, Salisbury. This later became Salisbury Tech College and when I was an apprentice at The A & AEE Boscombe Down in the early 60's I attended this Tech College and the old assembly tracking rail systems were still part of the roof structure.
Over time various improvements made the Seagull a really nice aeroplane and as low speed handling was improved Mike Lithgow could, apparently, fly along the Andover-Basingstoke railway line watching the trains go by. I used to live in Andover and quite a bit of Seagull test flying was conducted from Chilbolton airfield a mere seven miles away.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 06:16 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
968 Posts
I suspect the front spar either wasn't swept forward or was a bit further back, or both. I'd put it at the rear edge of the blue line at the root & make it straight from tip to tip & see if that looked right. It was behind the firewall & intersected the 'crank' in the wing-fold joint (which seems to be a bit too far back on the drawing) & was at about 50% tip chord. Very approximately... in my opinion... which is only a guess...!

I didn't notice before but your 3-view & the photo I posted show the second Seagull. The first one didn't have the little curved fillets at the trailing edge & the TE of the pylon was vertical. The wings just butted up to the pylon. It didn't have the cental fin either.
I'll scan photos showing these points when I get the chance.
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41