HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2006, 11:48 PM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Discussion
finished my M60. hope to fly this weekend

Just wanted to share some pics of my newly completely M60. Sunday the weather looks perfect here for a maiden flight. Maybe tomorrow I can take it and make some test glides before I chuck'r over the cliff. I built it pretty much to spec with a ballast tube. Electronics are HS85MG servos, electron 6 Rx and a 2/3 A batteyr NiMH battery pack. Still need to balance it but that shouldn't take too long. I set up high rates at 1/8 inch travel up and down (1/4 inch overall) and ailerons set at about 5/8 inch over all. Low rates are about half of these. Do you think these rates will be adequate? I also put a mix in to use the throttle stick as my elevator trim. Should be good to go.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:26 AM
"just one more pass"
Bakersfield, Ca.
Joined Sep 2005
824 Posts
I just maidened my JW at Tehachapi last week and am itching to have a go at Parker. Well my JW was all over the place til I turned down the rates to less than 1/4 inch each way on elevator. I also taped on some nose weight and now it is obviously nose heavy, but flies predictably.
Can't seem to retrieve my pix from Village Photo 'cause I can't log on. anyone know if they are experiencing some problems?
Marlan
marfish is offline Find More Posts by marfish
Last edited by marfish; Feb 04, 2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2006, 01:54 AM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Mike,

Nice cover job on the M60. Are those Robbe servo holders in the wing? I just ordered an M60 today and also ordered a set of the Robbe's. Looking forward to your maiden report, good luck!

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Feb 04, 2006, 03:21 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,457 Posts
That all sounds good to go . Just get ready for it to nose down on launch until you get the trim set right, moths & m60 tend to need a good throw with a up angle till you get used to it .( dont ask how i know )

Rick
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Old Feb 04, 2006, 07:32 AM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider
Mike,

Nice cover job on the M60. Are those Robbe servo holders in the wing? I just ordered an M60 today and also ordered a set of the Robbe's. Looking forward to your maiden report, good luck!

Andy
They're actually Hitec servo mounts/covers in the wing. You can get them from hobby lobby for about 9 bucks. They come with adapters to fit several different micro servos. Very nice and you the best part is you can keep a little loop of servo wire in them so you can pop the servo out to change control horns at any time.

p.s. Covering the M60 fuse with all those compound curves is a major BITCH! Good luck.

Mike
Old Feb 04, 2006, 08:46 AM
What tree????????
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
M60 looks awesome!!!!! (Can I send my over for some "beauty" treatment????)
Your high rates are just what I have myself for normal flying. For landing I switch to high rates which gives me just a little more. I believe you will find your low rates to be VERY sluggish.

To prevent the M60 from dipping at launch, I hold about 1/3 back stick with my right hand, and launch with my left. Works perfect every time....

Another M60 lover....
tweakmenow is offline Find More Posts by tweakmenow
Old Feb 04, 2006, 11:59 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
Beautiful finish job on that guy. You'll love the M60 - it's the best flying foamie on the frontside, period.

Throws sound OK. There are about two clicks of elevator trim between "balloon" and "dive", so I'd try not to maiden over water if possible. Make sure your linkages are attached closest to center on the servo side and at the top of the horn on the elevon to ensure that you have sufficient resolution. This made a 100% improvement in the flyability of mine, just because the elevator is so darned sensitive when the plane is properly CGd.

Did you Goop the fuse?? With the nose that sharp, you'll want some extra protection over that nice covering job.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Yeah I Gooped the fuse both before strapping tape and after covering. Sounds like my rates are a bit low. I did put the clevis at the closest hole on the servo and the farthest hole in the control horn. Just balancing it now. Is it normal to need about 2 ounces up front to balance the plane? I've got room under the battery for it, just seems excessive.

Mike
Old Feb 04, 2006, 01:29 PM
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Mike,

Did you use Ultracote? I was thinking of going Ultracote on the wings and Solartex/Goop on the fuse. You wouldn't happen to know where I can order Solartex stateside?

I also ordered my servo holders from Hobby-Lobby, just checked, they are the Hitecs (why was I thinking Robbe? ).

Good info on the dip-at-launch, I'll program in a lauch setting with my flight phase.

Andy
Old Feb 04, 2006, 02:07 PM
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Yeah I used Ultracote for the whole plane. No idea where to get Solartex. I wonder if the Coverite stuff is would work. I'm assuming the "tex" in Solartex is short for textile, so maybe one of the low heat fabric type coverings would work. I just finished balancing and it did take a bunch of weight up front to balance, so just be aware of this while building. Also, use the heaviest battery you can find. Mine wasn't that heavy so this is probably part of the reason I had to add so much lead. Now I need to get a scale so I can weigh this thing.

Mike
Old Feb 04, 2006, 02:39 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
One solartex source: http://www.balsausa.com/
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Feb 04, 2006, 03:06 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
Two ounces in the nose sounds about right. Mine flies very well at 35 ounces. Remember there's a load of wing area on this plane.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 04, 2006, 06:31 PM
What tree????????
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
About 1 1/2 oz needed for my M60....
tweakmenow is offline Find More Posts by tweakmenow
Old Feb 04, 2006, 09:34 PM
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman
"Also, use the heaviest battery you can find. Mine wasn't that heavy so this is probably part of the reason I had to add so much lead..."

Mike
I ordered the competition flight pack from Soaring USA sans the receiver since I'm using a Berg; it comes with a 1000 mAh NiMh. I expect I'll still have to add some weight.
Old Feb 04, 2006, 09:36 PM
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Infopimp, thanks for the Solartex source!

Andy