SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2006, 03:04 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
There's some wisdom in that free advice, though.

You may try doing a bit of "travel" before you pick another plane. Having recently flown at an unlimited-lift coastal cliff, I was blown away by the difference in flying (both physical and mentally/philosophically) compared to the tiny turtle-shell of a park I normally slope-fly at (and whine about on these forums).

The tiny park is more restrictive and there's less lift (you can't really fly anything heavier than about 10 ounces) - but it leads to a more precise and intimate flying experience... The big cliff was great for some crazy speed and freedom - but by the same token I found it to be a little bit boring without the constant need to optimize the lift... *shrug*

All I'm saying is that you may want to find some different places to fly and find out what you really love, before you start spending lots of money on planes.

Take care,

--Noel
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2006, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Info pimp hits the nail on the head....
I have tons of planes but am I significantly happier than back when I only had my Sparrow 2? No, not really. I have back-up planes a-plenty, but the whole point of this journey is...the journey. Crashes, mistakes, climbing trees to get you airplane out, glueing yourself to a broken horn, dodging the cops at a flying site, sneaking yet another plane into the house....just sit back and let it come to you.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Feb 07, 2006, 03:32 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
sneaking yet another plane into the house...
That shiny thing in my avatar just got "presented to the wife" last nite, and it went over rather smoothly considering. Almost did "the sneak"...Funny how women can tell when something costs some cash rather just another "foamy"..

Don
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Feb 07, 2006, 03:40 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
That's why you don't make it shiny.

Someone needs to make a "temporary wife-dodger" paint that looks like crap and comes off super easy. Then, you can bring in a matte, greyish, not-so-special looking airplane, "redo the paint" and take your glossy new toy to the field.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Feb 07, 2006, 03:43 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Why do you think I paint all my 60"ers in the same scheme? "This old thing?...."
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Feb 07, 2006, 04:00 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
I'm enjoying the learning process. The asking questions and researching part is almost as much fun for me as flying at the slopes. If I were really eager to get a plane, I would have probably already bought one. I am going to just keep my eyes open and wait until "that deal" comes along as I really dont have extra money that should be spent on a plane. I have PLENTY to learn on my wing for sure. I really can't do much more than just basic flying around at this point. I had originally planned on getting a new and nice foam wing sometime after I learned and got comfortable on my freebie wing, but by the time you build an epp wing you can easily spend $100+ without any electronics. I figure I can get a jacked up molded plane and fix it up for not too much more if I keep looking for a damaged one or something. Then I could enjoy the build as well. I really wish they sold molded kits or something that you could build instead of being ARF like so many are. You pay a lot extra to have it already built and miss out on that part of modeling. Alot of people hate the building part though, so I understand that. From what I have seen, the Jart is my favorite plane as it has to built, and can be built for fairly cheap. But, I would prefer a plane that can fly in lighter lift and isnt such a speedy harpoon as I dont have much flight experience yet. I just like the build. Maybe, I should PM the DS guys and tell them I would love donations next time they grenade a plane in the triple digits. I'm sure torn up planes get thrown away sometimes like the mini blade doulbetap mentioned.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice everyone. I really appreciate the ability to learn from all of your experiences.
hanknmorgan is offline Find More Posts by hanknmorgan
Old Feb 07, 2006, 04:22 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
Why do you think I paint all my 60"ers in the same scheme?
Because you got a great deal on the paint?!?
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Feb 07, 2006, 04:22 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
OK, then, you could always just build a plane. Take a airframe you like, and make something similar; a knockoff if you will.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Feb 07, 2006, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
I have thought about building my own, but having never flown a molded plane, it would be dificult in a few ways. First of all, I dont know enough about planes to really calculate wing loading, choose an airfoil, determine the CG, etc. I'm sure I could knock something out that would fly, but I dont really know how well. Secondly, It would be really difficult to get it setup since, I would have no reference or specs from others. I wouldnt know what needed to change based on given flight performance. I have actually changed schools this week and will be studying Mechanical engineering instead of industrial design, so in a few years, I will know how to calculate all of this stuff better. I think if I did build a plane, it would just that, a "knockoff". I could work out some plans based on measurments taken off of another plane and then build away. That's what a lot of manufacturers do anyway. Tweak, one little thing, and viola.....it's a new and improved model. It's just kind of scary though to learn to fly a molded plane with a plane that may not fly like it should or could based on my design/build. I wouldnt know if it were me or the plane or what that is causing the problem. So, I think the best bet would be to just get a cheapie moldie, fix it up, fly the snot out of it for a few years, and then I'll be able to better determine what type of flying I am most interested in, what I really want from a plane, and can choose or design a plane based on that down the road.
hanknmorgan is offline Find More Posts by hanknmorgan
Old Feb 07, 2006, 05:03 PM
Slope elope
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
I'll also chime in similarly to others so far. Having just recently purchased and flown my first moldie (though certainly not my first crunchie), I will say that it is really fun to have something more high performance for when you're in that mood. Really, though, I think we all go nuts with buying multiple planes because it's just fun to have some variety. Everything handles a little differently and there's no ignoring the value of having the right plane for the right conditions. Between the 5 or 6 core fliers in our area here we've got pretty much every type under the sun from combat, to performance foam, to molded, to PSS, to scale, to racer, and so on. Often, though, the memorable moments are at the end of the day when the Weasels come out.
Cziltang Brone is offline Find More Posts by Cziltang Brone
Old Feb 07, 2006, 05:43 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
hank -

As far as not knowing how to balance or set up a design on your own, all I can say is that it all comes down to math... Just as you can learn plenty by building, you can also learn plenty in researching what equations you need to learn, how a plane or airfoil has a "proper" CG, etc. Its just a matter of asking a few of the airplane designers on this board, and maybe reading a book or two. There's no voodoo involved, no ritual sacrifices (excluding cuts and scrapes while building *chuckle*)

They're out there, you just have to make the effort to track the proper info down. It can be immensely rewarding to see your ideas take shape as you design and craft something!

Take care,

--Noel

P.S. I think we ALL keep our eyes open for "the deal" that may come along at any time... its just part of the addiction! *grin*
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade