HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:57 PM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
If you donít want to build some then donít look at the Prodij. Although if you follow the instruction I have on the site itís straight forward and guys spend more time worrying about building than it takes to actually do it. You also learn a few tricks that will pay off down the road. The flight performance is way worth it but if itís not your thing then look for something different.

The Prodij build on the site is the old version, So when you look at it everything about mounting the wing and v-tail are already done for you. Thatís about 70% of the old build instructions. Its basically glassing the V tail and hinging the flaperons now. I recommend fully glassing the v tail if you know it will have a hard life.

Other than being easier to build my opinion on the site still holds true today!

If you are not into building then look for something else but I did read a lot of your concerns about this being a major purchase for you and you want it to last. If lifespan and flying qualities are high on your list. It might be a good fit.
If you built a foamy then this is much easier! And far less sticky
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2006, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Building isnt a problem at all. I love the building part and would rather buy a box of supplies and plans and go nuts than anything else. I wish they moldies were more in kit form. My complaint about glassing the tail, etc. werent based on the fact that I didnt want to have to build, but more on the fact that I would be paying more for the plane than one that doesnt need any additional work. Building costs money. I just dont really understand why the prodij is more expensive than a destiny, V2, or mach dart, but isnt finished as well. I guess it's all in the performance and durability then.

Just so I am understanding correctly, the prodij will fly in lighter lift than a destiny, is that correct? Yet it will still retain energy and fly very fast in BIG air. It sounds like it has the benefits of both the dart and destiny in one package, which makes it a very possible option then, especially if I can find one secondhand as $320 is more than I want to spend on jus the airframe. And add a few more bucks to glass the tail and paint and what not. It adds up quickly. Thanks for the input Tom.
hanknmorgan is offline Find More Posts by hanknmorgan
Old Feb 04, 2006, 01:23 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanknmorgan
I was looking on f3x.com and it says prodij 2 carbon. Is that the only version of the plane? So is it a carbon plane? I thought it was glass like the others. -Hank
Hank: The wing is layed up like a vac bag job...it has foam in the middle, but I am pretty sure they use female molds also. The wing has a uni carbon skin, not solid uni..but stringers that you can see, it's a very stiff wing.
The fuselage has tons of carbon and the wing mount is bomb proof, maybe about 3/8 " of plywood, epoxy, large blind nuts.... very gnarly fuselage and generous dimensions all around so it's not like a golf club, all whippy. I think a lot of people dont like the looks. It's just not a sexy unit by any means, but it works great. Yes it slows down OK, the internal servos also mean you wont bust a control arm off in high bushes, etc.
pros and cons to everthing I guess.
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 04, 2006, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Thanks andy-

I think it's a pretty nice looking plane. I'll certain keep an open mind toward it as I keep reading and learning about all of these planes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the V2 plane. I guess it's still fairly new, so not many people have them yet.
Old Feb 06, 2006, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
BUMP. I would like to know any feedback on the V2 if anyone has it. It seems like a nice plane for the money. Anyone have one of these? Opinions?
Old Feb 06, 2006, 04:38 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanknmorgan
BUMP. I would like to know any feedback on the V2 if anyone has it. It seems like a nice plane for the money. Anyone have one of these? Opinions?
How about you buy one then report to us! SO many nice 60" planes out there Hank and I think you'd be hard pressed to go too far wrong. I will say that it's not a bad idea to go with one of the vendors who post these forums...help is only a mouse click away should you need it...though my guess is that you've figured that one out.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Feb 06, 2006, 05:22 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
To buy or not to buy...

Hank,

the way I see it is if you're looking for the most bang for your buck during this early learning stage, then perhaps you ought to concentrate on finding a good deal not so much which 60" moldie to buy. Any of these models mentioned would do just fine for you at this stage in your development as you're not going to really notice the difference, so why not concentrate on getting one that's used or slightly damaged for a deal so you can get the stick time and not feel too bad about damaging it. For example, I just picked up on Ebay a practically new Mini Nyx ready to fly with all the radio gear installed for $240. I think this was one of Tom's (F3X) planes originally which got sold to this guy on Ebay. The catch is the guy had less than an hour flight time on it. Upon coming in for his second landing he skidded along the well manicured park lawn and kissed a tree. It took out a 3'' radius notch in one of the leading edges. Other than that, the plane looks like new. That's an easy fix for me as I've done tons of composite work on custom autos, defense aerospace R&D and RC models. So what would have cost me around $600 to set this plane up with all the retail components it came with cost me less than half of that and a little work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6031289253

There was another one, a Jaro Muller Mini Ellipse ready to fly that went for $210 and change just yesterday on Ebay. This one was a few years old and had nothing wrong with it except for a slight scrape on the underside of the wing and a very small chip missing from the wing saddle, but other than that it was very clean as the previous owner told me he always landed it on grass. I would have scooped that one up also but wasn't home to bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6033046848

You can analyze your choice to death but in the end it's not going to make much of a diffence as this is your second plane. It may survive, but then again you may stuff it and I'd rather stuff a $200 dollar plane than a $500 - $600 one when I'm still learning.

Just my lousy .02 cents as usual

Regards,

Doubletap
-who's stuffed planes with the best of them!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Feb 06, 2006, 05:31 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Thats some good advice right there. I've done pretty well over the years scraping up used planes, but you have to be ready when the deal appears.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Feb 06, 2006, 06:10 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,987 Posts
Surfimp is selling my old Carbon Banana right now on the for sale board for 300.00, RTF minus crystal....that's a 500.00 set up new.
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 06, 2006, 06:21 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Surfimp is selling my old Carbon Banana right now on the for sale board for 300.00, RTF minus crystal....that's a 500.00 set up new.
Yeah, just depends how many people are ahead of yours truly!
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 06, 2006, 06:44 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Yeah, just depends how many people are ahead of yours truly!
I've alreay sent Paypal funds...

Just kidding...
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Feb 06, 2006, 07:01 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
Another bit of info to dove-tail with what Doubletap is saying:

Buying the airframe is only the first step. You are always going to need some money to sink into servos, receiver, crystals, misc. hardware, and sundry supplies. When budgeting, MAKE SURE you can afford these expenses as well!

Take care,

--Noel
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade
Old Feb 06, 2006, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Doubletap. I saw both of those deals on ebay. I noticed that you snatched up the mini NYX. I would have jumped on it if I were ready to buy. I think grabbing an ebay or classified nearly RTF is the best bet. I guess more than anything I am learning about all of the options available so that when I do find a deal, I know what it is and what it's worth. Even if it's damaged like the NYX, I feel confident that I could make a clean repair without much trouble. Thanks for everyones help.
Old Feb 07, 2006, 10:59 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Crashed Mini-Blade

Here's one for you Hank, and it's free:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475792

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Feb 07, 2006, 12:05 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Hank: My only worry at this point is that you are going so fast, you might burn out at this pace. Going from a foamy to composites in 2 months doesn't leave much time to grow... I've read reports on this forum about guys who get all excited about the hobby, and a year later they stop showing up.

My advice as a semi-newbie is to slow down and enjoy the journey! This advice is worth as much as it cost you...nothing.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp