HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2006, 06:56 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Discussion
V2 from f3x.com - Opinions.

I am reading about molded planes in the sub 60" range and would like to know more about the V2 as seen on F3x.com. I am considering a Destiny, Mini Destiny, Possibly a mach dart, and I came across the v2. I have seen the video and build thread, but was wondering if anyone had any flight experience. What's the durability, performance, quality like in comparison to the other 3 I am looking at? It's tough to search for info on it since it's only two letters.
hanknmorgan is offline Find More Posts by hanknmorgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2006, 07:20 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Well, PM Tom..."F3X". He will tell you all you need to know...though I'm sure he'll spot this thread. Have you checked out the vid clips on the V2? Pretty cool...looks like an honest flyer. At one point, Tom was offering the V2 with three servos for like $300. Pretty good deal. Not sure if he's making that offer anymore though. He has a good build pictorial on his site too...though I'm sure you've seen that already!

Ah, the addiction has control...don't fight it Hank...just go with the flow!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Feb 03, 2006, 07:50 PM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanknmorgan
I am reading about molded planes in the sub 60" range and would like to know more about the V2 as seen on F3x.com. I am considering a Destiny, Mini Destiny, Possibly a mach dart, and I came across the v2. I have seen the video and build thread, but was wondering if anyone had any flight experience. What's the durability, performance, quality like in comparison to the other 3 I am looking at? It's tough to search for info on it since it's only two letters.
Of the 4 you mentioned the Mach Dart is probably the best for lighter air and is probably the least durable in direct comparison. The V2 Quality is like the Valenta models and the Mach Dart is probably a bit nicer but the V2 does build easy and it flies well, it's easy to put radio in. You have seen the video on a light day test flight and that was like flight #2 & 3 on the ship. There are so many 60" ships to choose from out there.
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
Old Feb 03, 2006, 09:01 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
Hi, Tom.
any chance of getting a pic of the V-2 next to a Destiny? Or at least the tails?

Thanks, Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Thanks Tom. So, the mach dart is considerably more fragile than the others? Does the V2 have the snap roll tendency that the destiny has or that corrected with the larger tail? It seems like a great plane and a good value, especially if some of the bad habits of the similar destiny are corrected in the V2
Old Feb 04, 2006, 09:41 AM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom. So, the mach dart is considerably more fragile than the others? Does the V2 have the snap roll tendency that the destiny has or that corrected with the larger tail? It seems like a great plane and a good value, especially if some of the bad habits of the similar destiny are corrected in the V2

You know what; my favorite hard turning 60" is still the Prodij. Nothing else comes close in a hard turn that I have seen @ 60" but thatís a different model all together.
The V2 with proper throws turns as good as the rest non flap or non flaperon slopers, full span flaperons or separate flaps with a bit of snapflap added really help the turn especially on these small models. Any sloper will flick with too much throw or a bad turn entry some are more edgy than others and I would put the V2 & Destiny in the edgy category, a bit of snap flap (even outboard snap flap) helps the V2 turn harder also. For sport flying I don't think you will notice. Ever see the Fermin ships? None of those sleds will turn anywhere near as tight as the V2 or Destiny they are built for the 1/2 pipe and no one complains of turning performance. So for sport flying they are all good.

Just for the record: I didn't say that the Mach Dart is considerably more fragile just that it's a bit less robust than the V2 thatís all. The quality is better but for a sloper that will take a beating I think itís not as important.
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
Old Feb 04, 2006, 10:10 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3X
You know what; my favorite hard turning 60" is still the Prodij. Nothing else comes close in a hard turn that I have seen @ 60" but thatís a different model all together.
That's for sure!

I've been totally amazed by the Prodij that I just finished up. It rails turns and feels like a much larger ship in the air. Compared to the Carbon Banana (same airfoil) I had, it just feels so much more solid, I guess because it is! I wouldn't call it a light air sloper, but it has a very low and predictable stall, especially if you use the camber. I find myself actively using the camber, and fly it slightly reflexed a lot too.

Great models all - all different

Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 04, 2006, 11:51 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
Hank has got it bad!!!

Prodij has the 60" F3f record, no??? Way tougher than the Mach Dart and Destiny, well-behaved, but the balsa tail has always been a huge turn-off to me, particularly for the cost. Not sure if you can still get it with a one-piece wing, either.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
I always here good things about the prodij, but I must admit that it looks very cheap for being $320. An unfinished balsa tail, the lame seam in the fuse, and not "live hinged" flaperons like many other planes available in the 60" class. I just cant justify spending $100 more than a destiny or mach dart for a plane that has bad finished quality. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but at the minimum, I would need to put thin glass over the balsa tail, and it would need some body work and a paint job to look like a quality ship. If it was $100 less, I would jump all over it, because everyone raves about it. How does the prodij fare in durability. It seems to have a large wind envelope like the mach dart which I like, but has better energy retention. Is it really worth the extra money for a lesser quality looking plane?
Old Feb 04, 2006, 11:56 AM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
How does the two peice wing deal work? Is the solid wing better?
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
There also seems to be some debate about the fuse mounter aileron servos. Is it better to have the servos in the wing? How does the plane fly without cutting flaps? I would prefer to not buy more servos, but I do want the plane to slow down for landings. Thanks

-Hank
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:18 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
I always here good things about the prodij, but I must admit that it looks very cheap for being $320. An unfinished balsa tail, the lame seam in the fuse, and not "live hinged" flaperons like many other planes available in the 60" class. I just cant justify spending $100 more than a destiny or mach dart for a plane that has bad finished quality. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but at the minimum, I would need to put thin glass over the balsa tail, and it would need some body work and a paint job to look like a quality ship. If it was $100 less, I would jump all over it, because everyone raves about it. How does the prodij fare in durability. It seems to have a large wind envelope like the mach dart which I like, but has better energy retention. Is it really worth the extra money for a lesser quality looking plane?
Hank,
Totally legitimate concerns, if you are going for looks, ease of build, want or need seperate flaps (although its do-able) you should look elsewhere. In fact, I don't think I would reccomend this as a first 60 to anyone. My buddy Lance (hydrogin) compares his Prodij to a pair of "Rock skis" a ship that you can wring out in tough conditions and keep on using. I don't think any 60 is more durable. I spiked mine in from about 65' up when I stalled it in a bad place trying to set up the spoiler compensation. It went straight vertical, and I found it buried to the wing LE. When I excavated it there was NO DAMAGE anywhere.....serious toughness. The build is straight forward, but can be aggravating if you have the model with installed ballast tube due to close quarters for drive linkages....I messsed with mine for quite some time getting it right. I bagged a V tail for mine, didn't think it would last....then went with carbon over balsa and it's suriving great.
What I really like are the flight characteristics!!!!!

Oh, I added a second wing tube in front of the stock location. I use two steel rods on decent lift days. I closed out all the open foam areas with epoxy and cabosil mix at the root chords on both panels as well as all the aileron cut outs.....no problems with the 2 piece wing at all.
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:23 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
There also seems to be some debate about the fuse mounter aileron servos. Is it better to have the servos in the wing? How does the plane fly without cutting flaps? I would prefer to not buy more servos, but I do want the plane to slow down for landings. Thanks

-Hank

Spoilers are very effective, But don't count on catching this one on landings. DS'ers dont like not having the servos centered on the surface due to twist, but for front side mania, this plane gets with it and has one of the fastest roll rates of any 60" that I've seen. Big control surfaces on the MG-06 airfoil all the way to the tip. Tom has a good photo guide on F3x website (or is it on RCGroups) on installing wing servos and flaps if that is your cup o tea.
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Thanks droydx. Durability is good. When I finally do get a moldie it's kind of a one time shot. If I tear it up, I wont be able to get another one for a while, so I gotta get one that can take a beating (within reason of course). I don't want something that will crack everytime it bumbs a little hard on the landing. I would prefer to not have flaps if possible. Does the prodij need flaps to slow down for landing. Also, can you "camber" the wing for lighter lift with the prodij in stock form without seperate flaps. It's not a huge deal to glass or bag the tail, just seems kind of cheesy to to have to do stuff like that to a not bottom of the line plane. Again, if it was $200 and not $300+ I wouldnt gripe about the small stuff as much.

I was looking on f3x.com and it says prodij 2 carbon. Is that the only version of the plane? So is it a carbon plane? I thought it was glass like the others.

-Hank
Old Feb 04, 2006, 12:30 PM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Spoilers are very effective, But don't count on catching this one on landings. DS'ers dont like not having the servos centered on the surface due to twist, but for front side mania, this plane gets with it and has one of the fastest roll rates of any 60" that I've seen. Big control surfaces on the MG-06 airfoil all the way to the tip. Tom has a good photo guide on F3x website (or is it on RCGroups) on installing wing servos and flaps if that is your cup o tea.
Andy

I would prefer to KISS, so if it works fine with the fuse mounted servos, thats great. I dont have any plans to DS. Those guys tear up too many expensive planes for me. I would like to watch, but too much of a risk in my opinion. Maybe someday though when I get out of school.

I like a high roll rate as well, so thats nice. No worries on handcatching the plane, I would rather not even if it were possible. I just want to make sure it will slow down with spoilerons enough to not tear it up all the time.