HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2001, 09:09 PM
My dremel tool has no fear
Reston, VA
Joined Dec 1999
351 Posts
K&A L39 Success!

After a failed attempt last week (too little bungee and too much control throw is a bad combo) I gave Ken a call at K&A. He recomended that I build a pedal launcher and dial down the throws before my next attempt. My 25 feet of triple tubing might have been a little too much becuase this thing looked like it was shot from a cannon but I was happy with a successful launch. The test flight went well except for some glitching on the elevator. Ken thought this might be caused by antenna being inside the fuse near my brushless 1010/2y setup and he thought that I could eliminate the problem by routing it externally. I built this plane with the smaller scale 35" wing and was a little concerned about the 30 oz wing loading but the plane handles this with no problem. My setup is a minifan480,1010/2y(old high kv version) and 12 cells(1250)You can see some pics here: http://hometown.aol.com/mantaultra/myhomepage/l39.htm
Mark is offline Find More Posts by Mark
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2001, 09:47 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
mark:i like the high vis.paint,very cool! glad you had a success................gregg
Old May 07, 2001, 12:32 AM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,893 Posts
Looks good Mark. Mine's nearly done too, but I've been too busy to finish it up. I'll be running the same power system with the bigger wing.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old May 08, 2001, 08:52 AM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
How was the kit?
J Bergsmith is offline Find More Posts by J Bergsmith
Old May 08, 2001, 09:06 AM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Mark very cool plane. K&A makes good stuff, I am on the wait list for the F86, cant wait big time/
Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old May 08, 2001, 06:00 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Dec 1999
351 Posts
J Bergsmith:

The kit is good: excellent fiberglass work and nice wing cores. The instructions might leave you with a few questions but the great thing is you can just call Ken at K&A and he will help you. Ken is out flying and testing his planes all the time and you can't put a price on the kind of assistance he will give you over the phone.
I hope to get back out this weekend and really get it trimmed out. I'll post another flight report and maybe a video
Old May 09, 2001, 02:16 PM
Novi, mich, usa
Joined May 1999
173 Posts
Mark, what kept you grounded for so long, didn't you post that picture months ago? I know you did because I thought it was such a neat color scheme that I copied it out for future reference.
Mine is ready to fly in white and British racing green. Long wing version with Astro 05, 10x2400's. Hope to fly before the end of the month. Agree, nice kit although lacking in detailed instructions, if that is what you need but as you say Ken is always there and willing to talk things through. I just ordered his Panther 'cause then I will have three: Ziroli's slimy version, Griggs version with Velkom power and Ken's into which I will slot a 14 turn Promax 400. Keep us informed on further flight testing of your L-39.
Barry
barry r killick is offline Find More Posts by barry r killick
Old May 09, 2001, 02:54 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Mark,

Nice plane... what kind of finishing to do you have on the fiberglass ie., paint, film?

Barry... same question to you

Ron

[This message has been edited by electricrcflyer (edited 05-09-2001).]
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Old May 09, 2001, 09:56 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Dec 1999
351 Posts
I covered the entire airplane in ultracoat(oracover) The fuse was covered in long strips about 2.5 inches wide. If you keep your seem overlaps to a minimum it will come out nice. The only problem is that the flourescent colors do funny things when you apply them to fiberglass. When you take your model out in the sun the colors will mottle and distort. This only happens on the fiberglass so it must be some reaction that makes them unstable in the sun. Non flourescent colors won't have this problem.
Old May 11, 2001, 10:38 PM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
I just put the first flight on my K&A L-39 tonight. I used the bigger sport wing and the newer 1010/2y with 14*1250scr; maybe a little heavy at 55 oz but it flew fine. Took a couple tries to get it slowed down to land close to where I wanted. I still need to do more finishing work, but that isn't going to stop it from flying.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS