SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2006, 12:10 AM
(My website goes here)
Purvis, Mississippi
Joined Sep 2005
977 Posts
Help!
Estes Corsair

I did it. I went and bought the Estes Corsair from wally world today. This thing sure does suck. It looks great though. I couldn't even get it to fly so I decided to add my own electronics. I figured that I would stick with rudder only and 1 servo to save weight. AUW with a Rocket Sport 2s 480mah lipo is 5.5 ounces.

It still doesn't fly. The lipo is only good for 5 amps and the stock motor and prop pull about 5.6 amps at WOT. It will run full throttle for about 3 seconds then the LVC kicks in because the battery voltage drops badly under load.

ONCE...when the wind was blowing I did get it to fly level about 5 feet off the ground for about 30 feet......then she slowly went to the ground. NOT ENOUGH THRUST.

It also seems to want to roll hard to the left when trying to make a turn.

So....Do you think that this is too heavy?
Do you think a bigger prop would do it?
Where do you find a darn prop that fits it?
Bigger motor?

Any help would be appreciated. I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for in some other threads I have found about this bird.

Anyone that has one flying?? What should I change?

Stock motor
big ole 15amp Blue arrow ESC
blue bird 4ch receiver
1x naro servo
480 2s lipo
johndreid is offline Find More Posts by johndreid
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2006, 01:51 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined Apr 2000
245 Posts
Do a search on the Cox Corsair, P-51, P-40 and Spitfire. These are the same basic airframe as the Estes, but are designed for 3 ch. flying.
kjkish is offline Find More Posts by kjkish
Old Feb 03, 2006, 04:42 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,320 Posts
You should post this in your Cheapo thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459920

BTW, thanks for weeding out the junk airplanes for the rest of us so we don't have to buy them. I don't know how you can afford to do this, but it is a good service you are providing.
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Feb 03, 2006, 02:53 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
John
I have the Estes At-6. It did fly fairly well but unnerving with wide open throttle in a small area. The guts are junk as you found out.
IF the motor was any good you could put on a 2mm prop adapter and go down in diameter and pitch, upping RPMs. That would reduce the tendency to roll. But the motor is junk. Replace it with a Graupner Speed 280. Then you can do this.
15 amp ESC is way too much. Save that for a larger plane. Go with a Jeti Jes006 or
equiv. Find two small servos and turn it into a small 3 channel plane. That's what I am doing.
Jim
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Feb 05, 2006, 06:55 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I have the 'Cox' Corsair and at 4.2oz AUW, and she flys GREAT.

With a 2S-300 Lipoly, I'm getting about 5-7 minutes of good power (enough to loop from level flight) and about 2-3 minutes more of cruising power. I think my ONLY complaint would be that at this small size and the same color top and bottom, she is a little hard to tell which end is up sometimes.

Great little flyer, one of my favorates right now.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Feb 05, 2006, 07:21 PM
Reveret
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
I have an Estes Corsair that I pulled the stock gear out and added ailerons, elevator, and rudder control. I use a 2 cell 340 or 700Mah LiPo with the stock motor/prop and it flies great. Rolls and loops are easy from level flight. I have done the same with the Estes P-47 and it actually flies better than the Corsair. There's an Estes P-40 on the shelf that I will be converting before too long. I don't think I will bother with rudder and go with ailerons/elevator for control.
Reveret is offline Find More Posts by Reveret
Old Feb 05, 2006, 07:49 PM
(My website goes here)
Purvis, Mississippi
Joined Sep 2005
977 Posts
You must have gotten a good one. My stock motor is as weak as a wet noodle!
johndreid is offline Find More Posts by johndreid
Old Feb 06, 2006, 04:41 PM
Reveret
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
I am using the smallest ESC that GWS makes and it seems to work fine. I haven't tested the load but I am usually tired of flying either of the little birds before the battery sags. That is especially the case with the 730Mah pack. You may want to take the diode off the stock Estes motor if you haven't already, to make surethe motor is compatable with your ESC.

I flew the P-40 with the stock setup several times before I blew up the NiMH pack being a bit aggressive on the charging. It flew well and was very easy to control but the flights were only about three minutes. It actually reminded me of the single channel flying I did in the 70's.
Reveret is offline Find More Posts by Reveret