SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2006, 01:43 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Mini-Review
Dualsky TT-18A BL ESC with programming cable

Well folks I thought I'd try the TT-18 and see how she compares against other ESC's on the market. The thing that set this BL ESC apart from the rest was the programming cable which can be purchased for around $9 USD. The TT-18 BL ESC retails around $28 USD.

As you can see from the pictures the product looks like it has some good quality to it.
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2006, 01:47 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
The instructions to program this lil bugger has quite the extensive list. As well, getting into programming mode seems like it can be a pain but for logical reasons. The one bummer that I noticed when I glanced at the instructions is it's lack of autoset for LVC. The default is even set for 5.6V cutoff. So right away I knew I had to made some programming changes.
Old Feb 02, 2006, 01:57 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Well I thought a programming adaptor for $9 USD, you can't go wrong!!! Since CC sells theirs at $21 USD this seems to be a nice competitive arrangement. The cable is nothing more then a DB9 to RX cable. There is no logic on it whatsoever, which I found a little strange. Could be a plus and could be a minus so let's take a look.

The instructions clearly state to plug the ESC into the cable with the correct wiring sequence. White wire nearest the block on the connector. The instructions have you goto www.dualsky.com and download their controller software. Which I did and installed it.

I plugged in the ESC to the cable and found that nothing happened... Strange the CC link works fine everytime I do that. So I go back and read the instructions again for the cable and it states you need to add main power to the ESC when it's plugged into your computer. It also clearly states that power must be between 5V and 10V!!!!

I go and grab a 2S lipo and plug her in and guess what the ESC information was recognized by the software. I could make changes to the controller but when I was finished there was no comit button. I guess when you are finish making changes you just unplug the ESC which I did. When I replugged the ESC to the cable the programming changes I made stayed with the ESC.

There is a secondary part to the software which is setup as Run. This looks like you can hook up your ESC and rev it up via software and see how many RPM's you are pulling. Kinda strange their throttle setting goes up to 200 but what the heck..
Last edited by fly_boy99; Feb 02, 2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2006, 02:06 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
The specs for the TT-18A ESC is:

Name
=====
TT18A

Nimh cells, Lipo cells
===============
6-12, 7.2-14.4V
2-4, 7.2-14.8V

Max Output
==========
18 amps
(25 surge)

BEC
=====
1.5A

AUW
======
0.60oz
(17g)

Dimensions
============
1.06x0.94x0.2in
(27x24x5mm)

Because of the Dualsky logo covering they have over the front of the ESC's I couldn't make out the FET chipset no see the soldering for the RX. I will say that soldering on the rear of the controller is top rate and minimal unlike other ESC's I've seen come out of China.

Motor run up testing continues tomorrow!!!
Old Feb 02, 2006, 11:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Well I ran several motors through the TT-18 and once I got the programming right it went very well. It seems that most motors will benefit from the 4-10 degrees of timing advance. The lower pole motors such as inrunners would benefit from the 10-20 and 20-30 degrees.

The motors I tested:

2500kv CDrom motor
14T 24g 24mm stator 12 N50 mags
2025-4200 Himax motor
400XT Esskay motor

All motors worked well with the 4-10 degrees of timing and only the 400XT could run fairly well in the 10-20 degree range.

There was one glitch I didn't like and I found it when I hooked up the ESC to the cable. I had programmed it for 9V and somehow it changed to a 12V LVC. I don't know how that happened.
Old Feb 02, 2006, 11:35 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
So the long and short of it is:

Pros
-----
Inexpensive for its quality of make
Programming cable available instead of stick programming
Smooth operation through throttle curve
Operates up to 4S
Nice clean instructions

Cons
-----
Has a 1.5A BEC (in fact the entire line up to 35A ESC is a 1.5A BEC)
Programming can be a pain because of needing main power
Software can be glitchy
No commit button on the software to ensure your settings have been set

Overall, once you get the hang of these guys I think its pretty much a winner. Sure there are places where there can be enhancements but overall its a nice clean BL ESC.
Old Feb 03, 2006, 12:28 AM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Fly-Boy,

That looks exactly like the one I just bought, imagine that!

Glad to hear it worked well for you. I will have to get mine out and test it. I just built a new thrust stand, and finished it today. I tried a couple motors out on it and it works great!

I have a Feigao Power Analyzer that I purchased from the same company I got the DualSky ESC from. It is pretty cool. It reads out Voltage, Current, Watt, Amp Hours and Watt hours. It also has a Serial Port interface, and can plug into a PC to give real time readings and recording of data. It spits out the various parameters every second through the serial port, and these can be stored as an Excel spreadsheet for later analysis. It also has a graphing program that lets you plot the data in a variety of ways.

I have an old Sony Pentium-233 laptop out in the garage that is collecting dust. This laptop will be more than powerful enough to record the data from the test station, so I will hook it up and be able to do some real motor testing. Now I just need to figure out a tach with a way to get a serial output into the PC and I will have a fully automated test station! How cool will that be!

Well, gotta run. Catch you later.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2006, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Lucien-

I have good news for ya. If you use the dualsky programming cable and have a second serial port available on that laptop you can use the dualsky app to get RPM readings!!!

Well it might be a little hard to pull off because you don't have RX controll when the ESC is plugged into the programming cable.

I bought a Micro power setup from Eagle Tree systems and that will give you everything you need for a thrust stand. I'm still working out small issues with the RPM sensor but I'm very close and it works like a charm on the test stand and in the air for real time measurements!!!

Thanks again for the product!!!

fb
Old Feb 03, 2006, 08:01 PM
Occasional Flyer
Iowa
Joined May 2004
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
Well I thought a programming adaptor for $9 USD, you can't go wrong!!! Since CC sells theirs at $21 USD this seems to be a nice competitive arrangement. The cable is nothing more then a DB9 to RX cable. There is no logic on it whatsoever, which I found a little strange.
Could you Ohm out the pins on the DB9 connector to the Rx connector pins for me, please, ok pretty please . I have many of those old DB9 cables around that I could chop one end off and attach an old servo ext cable end to it. I have a TT18 that I have not used yet and was just gonna manually program it but if I can make a cable for $0 and a little time I may just try it.

Thanks,

Marv
Marv829 is offline Find More Posts by Marv829
Old Feb 08, 2006, 01:23 AM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
I popped my connector open, and there is a level shifting Integrated Circuit allong with a few capacitors and a diode inside the connector shell, so it is not a straight-through connection. Bummer! There is a little circuit board and a small SO-14 IC, so you would do best to go ahead and buy the programming cable.

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 08, 2006, 01:26 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Heck it's only 9 bucks anyway.. a bit different from 21 bucks!!!

PM'd you Lucien
Old Feb 08, 2006, 04:36 AM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
These Escs seem to be identical to the ones available from assan.

http://www.assan.cn/

I bought an assan one from http://www.rcflying.biz/index.htm. No problems so far.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old Feb 09, 2006, 10:01 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Yes they look to be the same exact BL ESC and even the software for programming it is the same. My best guess is that neither Dualsky nor Assan really manufacture this BL ESC nor do I think we will find the real one.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:36 PM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
From a couple of e-mails with them I formed the impression that assan were the makers, at least of the ESC control software. But who knows in this crazy market of rebadging.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:33 AM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
They seem very similar, but apparantly they have different software in them. I have an Assan 50A ESC like the one pictured below. It looks exactly like the 36 Amp one, it just has a heatsink added so you can pull more current through the FET's. This one has 21 FET's all together.

When I tried to hook the serial cable to the Assan ESC using the DualSky software, it would not recognize the controller. I went to the Assan website, downloaded their controller software, and installed it on my computer. When I used the Assan Software, I was able to connect to the ESC and program values and run it from the control panel.

Looks like it is one of those "Same Thing Only Different" kind of deals. It is kinda weird, because the user interface looks exactly the same. One just says DualSky at the top and the other says Assan, other than that they look the same. The same cable works for both however, so that is a good thing!

Anyhow, that is what I found out tonight.

Lucien
Site Sponsor