HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2006, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2006
4 Posts
Video
$25 F/A-18E RTF w/li-po & motor mods

We look forward to the annual Safeway grocery store toy selection knowing that the day after Christmas the toys will be marked down significantly. This year the toy du jour was the Interactive Toys F/A-18E Hornet RTF for $25. With several of us purchasing them we naturally had to compete to find out who could fly higher, faster, better. Soon we were swapping out the 4.8 nimh battery with a two cell lipo which flew great but melted the motor and the rudder actuator. But it sure was fun for 20 minutes!

The next upgrade involved installing a Johnson 250 motor along with the addition of an elevator, a fully proportional rudder, and a throttle. The plane is designed to be modified so the changes were easy. We've been having a blast with these wonderful flyers as you can see from the following videos.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...230233723539&q

This one is a video of my friends plane before it was modified.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...767943300994&q

Now we are looking forward to next years offering at Safeway.
wilson@apple.com is offline Find More Posts by wilson@apple.com
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2006, 03:02 PM
Stockbridge, GA
Joined Nov 2003
343 Posts
Very entertaining video. Flybys in #2 were very cool.
Thanks for leaving in the plane sounds!
Printer Mike is offline Find More Posts by Printer Mike
Old Feb 02, 2006, 01:51 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2005
99 Posts
I wish I would have got one of those like you guys did. Now I've got a Komodo 6 pole ready to go and no plane to put it on.
ob1knob is offline Find More Posts by ob1knob
Old Feb 04, 2006, 09:59 AM
Joined Jan 2006
4 Posts
We fly everday at lunch. We leave work, race to our local fast food sandwich shop (Subway, Lee's) and then head to the local park. We don't spend much time eating because we're too anxious to get up in the air. Most days we have a video camera handy. Once back at work my coworker Cameron uses iMovie to whip together a synopsis of the flights that day and posts them to video.google.com for all of us to enjoy. Once there just search on "Cam Man" and the videos will appear. Leave "Cam Man" in quotes and you will end up with only our videos. Here's a direct link:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22cam+man%22
Old Feb 04, 2006, 01:59 PM
Joined Feb 2006
59 Posts
Cant find them at any Safway here! They say only at X-mas time would they have something like that.

Anywhere else I could find a few of these?
scrapdizzy is offline Find More Posts by scrapdizzy
Old Feb 04, 2006, 07:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
4 Posts
F/A-18E's can be found

It may not be at Safeway anymore for $25, but I did a quick search using Froogle and found it at eToys for $39.99 which is much lower than the $59.99 price many other places are selling it for. Look around and they can be found. I used Interactive Toys Super Hornet as my search criteria.
Old Feb 08, 2006, 09:07 AM
Villa Park, CA
Joined Jan 2006
40 Posts
Done deal! Thanks Wilson! Hooked me up. I just went and ordered one from etoys. Thanks.
xtradust is offline Find More Posts by xtradust
Old Feb 08, 2006, 04:47 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Feb 2006
56 Posts
camera guy is a spaaaazzzzz!
aadrew is offline Find More Posts by aadrew
Old Feb 08, 2006, 08:52 PM
Villa Park, CA
Joined Jan 2006
40 Posts
It happens. I was watching some video I took the other day (flying Aero Ace) and I was giggling like a geek. I had to turn the sound down.

If I remember Wilson's video, it was his friend taping him. You'd never post a video of yourself gigglin' like that. (Maybe I would if I had that hot-modded plane!)

Still a great video! Thanks Wilson.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2006
4 Posts
My F/A-18 Super Hornet burned up (melted) its first Johnson 250 motor after 2-3 hours of full throttle action. I bought a replacement motor and picked up the GWS heat sink for the 280 motor. It fits around the Johnson 250 perfectly. I cut out a little extra foam in the back and made slots so I could slide in the heat sink and motor. I also added an aluminum 2mm prop adapter and added a GWS EP-4025 prop. The prop required some drilling to fit on the prop adapter.

I flew the newly modified plane last night and it SCREAMS!!! My plane was all over the sky doing loops, modified rudder/elevator rolls, high speed runs. Keeping the motor cool and finding the righ prop makes a huge difference. The only prop issue I had was that I initially put it on backwards (duh, prop always faces forwards!).

I'll see if I can't get my laughing co-worker to shoot another video. If you search http://video.google.com using the search term "cam man" you can see that he's a prolific producer of RC videos.

Here's what the heat sink looks like.

GWS 280 Heat Sink
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:02 PM
Villa Park, CA
Joined Jan 2006
40 Posts
Sweet mod! I'd be happy just to get mine.

Getting someone to take video for you is huge. He can do anything he wants, as long as he keeps taking 'em.

I was watching an RC A-10 video last night that I found on google and the guys chick was taking the vid and it was terrible. Out of a 5 min video, you probably saw the plane for 15 secs. It really bugged. Stupid chick. Can't fly AND can't run the camcorder. Hope she's hot.
Old Mar 03, 2006, 03:14 PM
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
nice stuff there!!! Here is another link to the AirRage F/A-18 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457053

I'm just about to order some J-250's and some 15A speed controlers. But can someone suggest a good 2 cell Lipo.?

I'v heard of a GWS 2 cell 1320 lipo ( sounds HUGE for this plane. )
or the 730Mah 2cell .. Any pics of your RX and Batt or motor inside the "cheap" fun F/A 18 ??

I think i'll do Evelon, V-tail mixing, 2 servos and try some loops and Barrel rolls.!! SOUNDS FUN!!

PS. my Original Rx / motor is still intact. I might put it in a DIY slowstick for my Sister.
bEbOp ? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ?
Old Mar 06, 2006, 10:56 PM
Joined Feb 2006
59 Posts
Have you tried the B2 bomber from Air Rage?
scrapdizzy is offline Find More Posts by scrapdizzy
Old Dec 27, 2006, 03:17 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
I just found and purchased one of the Air Rage / Interactive Toys Fa/18e super hornets, at Discovery Store. Paid $65, which I know was way too much, but I've never seen the plane at Safeway for $25 (or for any price for that matter).

Cycle-charging the batteries tonight, and if weather permits, I'll take it out and try to fly it tomorrow.
msnyder is offline Find More Posts by msnyder