Closed Thread
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:52 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Whoops!
Close Call

I know that there is a small airport about 5 miles down from where I was flying yesterday but I didn't know that I was right under a direct landing approach zone. I was about 50 ft above the treeline and hovering when I heard him coming from behind but didn't know from what angle. Then it got closer and louder and he screamed over me and must have cleared my helo by only 50 ft if that!! That scared the absolute sht out of me!! I immediately descended to right below the treeline and finished my flight. I wonder if he even saw my helo because I was also just about 20 ft to the right of him. Maybe there was a little more vertical space between us than I could see but I know it was way too close. I was rolling video the whole time but apparently was pointed in a different direction when he flew over or by me. I reviewed the footage very carefully to see if I caught him on tape but didn't see it. Whew!!! You can see the images from where I was flying at the link below.

1st image on the 2nd row is when it happened
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...78&postcount=2
Sky Link is offline Find More Posts by Sky Link
Last edited by Sky Link; Feb 02, 2006 at 02:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2006, 08:03 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,680 Posts
If you were five miles out and only 50 feet above the trees, then you were not anywhere near the normal approach. That far out Air traffic going to the airport in a normal manner would be at least 1000 feet high. If he was flying that low, he probably passed 100's of birds, wires, etc. at near miss distances. Your helicopter was just one of many... While its scarey, Dont feel bad, you did not do anything wrong..
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 30, 2006, 08:16 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
I'm not placing any blame. I was probably closer to the airport than I realized. I'm going back out there and measure it. I just wish my camera had at least caught a glimpse of the plane so I could have seen the true proximity to my helo. Judging from the pictures, how high do you think I was?

Here is some more discussion about this.

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3846322/tm.htm
Old Jan 30, 2006, 08:33 PM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Link
I'm not placing any blame. I was probably closer to the airport than I realized. I'm going back out there and measure it. I just wish my camera had at least caught a glimpse of the plane so I could have seen the true proximity to my helo. Judging from the pictures, how high do you think I was?

Here is some more discussion about this.

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3846322/tm.htm
looks like 50 feet to me.
hihptsi is offline Find More Posts by hihptsi
Old Jan 30, 2006, 08:47 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihptsi
looks like 50 feet to me.
50 ft!? Which picture were you looking at? Those trees were at least 60-70 ft tall and I am well above them. If that plane was just above me and if I was at 50 ft, he might as well have been crop dusting!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 09:33 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
What airport are you talking about? I am pretty familiar with ATL area airports. Perhaps I can offer some insight...
Kip
n111kx is offline Find More Posts by n111kx
Old Jan 30, 2006, 09:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Link
50 ft!? Which picture were you looking at? Those trees were at least 60-70 ft tall and I am well above them. If that plane was just above me and if I was at 50 ft, he might as well have been crop dusting!

mabie i was looking at the wrong ones? i was refering to the pictures of the house being built.

link me ?
hihptsi is offline Find More Posts by hihptsi
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:31 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihptsi
mabie i was looking at the wrong ones? i was refering to the pictures of the house being built.
Okay, that explains it. The link in the first post of this thread should take you right to it along with the description in bold.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:33 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n111kx
What airport are you talking about? I am pretty familiar with ATL area airports. Perhaps I can offer some insight...
Well, I'm actually in a smaller city northwest of Atlanta.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:30 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
I measured the distance from the area that I was flying in to the airport and it is 2 miles. I watched others come in over that opening this evening and they were all at the same low altitude.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:49 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
I gotta tell you Skylink, it's hard to judge altitude real accurately from pictures. Especially obliques. I'm thinking you are easily under 200 feet agl and more likely under 150.

I don't live or fly where there are lots of trees. I get to hear the planes approaching from 10 miles off. The difference is if they are low and fast. They can get right on top of you pretty fast.

It sounds like you did all the right things and yet quite concerned about it though. You managed it well by the sounds of things.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:22 PM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost
I'm thinking you are easily under 200 feet agl and more likely under 150.

Dan
I'm thinking that I was at 125 ft at my highest which was not listed in those images because it was kind of shaky and smeared the pixels.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:08 PM
FLY3OY
Virginia
Joined Aug 2003
283 Posts
OK..something is not adding up here with this story. Your pics look to be about 100-150ft. If a plane was that low on a 3 degree glide slope he would be very close to the runway threshold if not almost on top of it. Are you sure its "two" miles to the runway or is your two miles to the tower/terminal with a 7000 ft runway that just happened to extend to within a few thousand feet of your location? What airport is it? I think you may want to find another place to fly. I hardly think you "did everything right" when you made the decision to fly that close to an airport in the first place.
LuftAdler is offline Find More Posts by LuftAdler
Old Feb 01, 2006, 12:29 AM
I didn't do it!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftAdler
OK..something is not adding up here with this story. Your pics look to be about 100-150ft. If a plane was that low on a 3 degree glide slope he would be very close to the runway threshold if not almost on top of it. Are you sure its "two" miles to the runway or is your two miles to the tower/terminal with a 7000 ft runway that just happened to extend to within a few thousand feet of your location? What airport is it? I think you may want to find another place to fly. I hardly think you "did everything right" when you made the decision to fly that close to an airport in the first place.
What doesn't add up? I thought I was clear with the details. I don't know how high I was because I don't have an altimeter. Anyone can make their own judgement by the images. First of all I know exactly what happened, I know exactly how far that airport was from that clearing that I was flying in because I measured it today. As far as the distance from that location to the airport, it was 2 miles because I said that I made a point to measure the distance. I estimated the distance in my first post and was very clear that it was an estimation. That's why I made a special trip to measure it!! Nothing aggravates me more than for someone to read a definitive statement and then say, are ya sure about that.

Let me start by saying this. All of you pro pilots need to remember that not everybody knows all of these specific rules that you are required to know to fly real aircraft. As long as anyone can buy an R/C device without a license or required training courses, there is going to be all kinds of incidents as with any unregulated activity. Did you know, that in the state of Georgia, that if you are driving a friend's car and their tag is expired, YOU will get the $200 ticket for an expired tag, not the owner!! DID YOU KNOW THAT? How ridiculous is that?! Just like I and many others don't know all of the FAA regulations or where all the airports are because I'm not required to when flying an R/C device! I think it's a good thing to know as much as possible about an activity that you do but it's not required for this activity so no accountability can be held. If you or any other pro pilots don't like it, then get the rules changed but don't be lecturing me about it. Got it! I think I have enough since to know, after an experience like that, not to fly so high in that area again without being lectured about it. It's all in how you say it. I've always appreciated any help, tips and/or advice that anyone gives me and I thoroughly enjoy learning new things, but, I will NOT be lectured or spoken to like I am someone's child especially by someone who doesn't even know me. I am always willing to learn as long as it is presented in a way that is respectful. What I am saying is to please be aware of how you make your statements. Thank you.
Last edited by Sky Link; Feb 01, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2006, 05:14 AM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
That's all well and good. But keep in mind this whole thread distills down to one thing basically:

You are flying your craft close enough to fullsize traffic to be a safety concern, and then posting it on the internet for all to see. Let's be smart about this OK?
bob loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob loblaw
Closed Thread