HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2001, 10:55 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,135 Posts
Balancing Mini fan 480 Rotor, hubs??

Anybody come up with a good proceedure to balance these rotors and hubs effectively?

I have been using a Top Flite power point magnetic balancer, balancing the rotor and hub together, then installing it on the motor and running it and twisting the hub in 1/8" increments to eliminate vibrations before I install it in the fan housing. But I always seem to have to go back and play with the balance a couple of times. When I put the assembly back on the balancer with the hub in its original position it appears out of balance. Is this the front to back balance that is messing me up?? Does the rotor assembly have to be in the same location on the balancing rod?

Just thought I would ask. I sure spend alot of time balancing these things.

Thanks,
Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2001, 11:07 PM
Lima,Peru
Joined Jun 2000
40 Posts
It seems that the shaft gets magnetized or something else is in the working. I have the same problem.
Flyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flyguy
Old May 07, 2001, 11:16 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Balance the fan alone once - then install and twist the hub untill it spins without vibration. Once you add the hub it can and probably does add a itsy bit of distortion of the fan rendering the fan/hub balancing useless.

Spin up the fanunit without the hub - if its all ok here proceed with the hub. Try to spin it up again - slowly, to get the feel of it. If it start to vibrate stop and twist the hub a little - run it up again and repeat this process untill it operates smoothly.

Happy flying!
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old May 08, 2001, 10:40 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,905 Posts
I have recently switched to a high point balancer using the shaft from the topflite magnetic, I am getting much better balances. I'm using the topflite shaft and cones simply because the orignal steel High point shaft and cones rusted themselves together sitting in my dad's damp basement for 10 years .

Seems like the magnets have just a tad more resistance than the highpoint wheels...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old May 08, 2001, 11:37 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
I balance my MF480 fans with a $3 balancer. I first balance the rotor, then the spinner.
As balancing weights I used small pieces of vinyl tape taped to the inside of the rotor & spinner. There is no need to do any balancing on the aluminum hub.

Once they are properly statically balanced they work fine when mounted on the motor up to 40k rpms. I have never balanced a fan mounted on the motor (I suppose you only would need to do that if your motor was out of balance as well).

http://aeneas.ps.uci.edu/edf/balancer_2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Herb (edited 05-09-2001).]
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old May 08, 2001, 08:19 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,152 Posts
If you do a search you will find plenty of info. Search in EDF for "balance" and "rotor" throw "dymnamic" in there for good measure, and you should get plenty of good threads.

The shaft in the Top Flite balancer is very soft and is easily bent. The cone quality leaves something to be desired.

Tightening the rotor too much will distort the rotor. and make it hard to balance once the spinner is installed.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2009
462 Posts
WoW!!!! They are now Balanced..... Mini Fan Pro

This is SFG.
EDF Phantom - Kryptonic is offline Find More Posts by EDF Phantom - Kryptonic
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:53 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley