HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2002, 08:19 AM
Saint Joseph, MI
Joined Oct 1999
24 Posts
Aventura II - Need some help please

I built the Hobby-Lobby Adventura II for a buddy of mine that doesn't fly electric yet and told him I would do the maiden voyage get it trimmed etc. My big question is the battery recomendation that HL gives 7cell/600mah big enough to run a speed 480 with a 7x4 prop? I fly mostly hot electric stuff but I can't believe this pack will last more than a few minutes at best. Does it fly at 1/4- 1/2 throttle?

I did a bench test and got about 90 seconds (full throttle) out of the pack. Put in one of my 8cell/1100 packs and got 5 minutes (full-1/2 throttle).

Has anybody flown one with these recomendations?

Please advise before CG and maiden voyage

thanks

bob
Bob Christiano is offline Find More Posts by Bob Christiano
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2002, 10:02 AM
West Dundee, IL, USA
Joined Jul 2001
845 Posts
I call mine the Hangar Queen. It's not the kind of plane you'd want to fly every day, but she does take off and land well on the water (sometimes in the water )

OK, the 7 cell pack will run the plane but the flight time will be limited to 3 minutes or so. I use the 1100 AA cells in mine to stretch that out because you don't want to run out of juice in the middle of the river.

Running the plane on the bench is not a fair test of run time. Without airspeed the motor is working MUCH harder than it will in the air. This is also real rough on the motor, so don't do it for long periods of time, it can fry stuff.

The CG is on the plane, but don't deviate much from it. Too far aft is always bad, but on this plane too far forward is bad because the plane will nose into he water on taxi.

Don't fly this plane in heavy wind. The fuse has alot of drag and the CG is well below the wing, she she bounces around quite a bit. She'll penetrate wind, but a crosswind is a handful.
tekochip is offline Find More Posts by tekochip
Old Jun 26, 2002, 11:12 AM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts
Batteries

I just went to a 7x3 prop to try to cut down th amp draw. With an 8 cell 600AE 2/3A pack, I can pop the BEC in just a few seconds. I do have a race 480, but it still draws a lot of juice. I put a 10 cell in it this weekend and it really improved the BEC problem and can now give it full power. I had to take off at 1/2 throttle to keep from kicking out the BEC. I know guys who are flying with 1700 packs. I think you need to consider larger packs or more cells. Only my 1100AA NiCd pack will not kick out at full power and after a minute it will too.
Tim Seidenstricker is offline Find More Posts by Tim Seidenstricker
Old Jun 26, 2002, 02:03 PM
West Dundee, IL, USA
Joined Jul 2001
845 Posts
Wow, you don't want to stall after take-off. I've done that twice, and things get plenty sloppy when you have to get your plane out of the river.

I'm using a 4.8V speed 400 with a 4.09 gear box and a 9X6. This yields more thrust than the stock powerplant and gets the model on step in a few feet.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:23 AM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts
Prop

That 9" prop has to be mighty close to the Windshield???
Tim Seidenstricker is offline Find More Posts by Tim Seidenstricker
Old Jul 01, 2002, 08:41 AM
West Dundee, IL, USA
Joined Jul 2001
845 Posts
Yup, sure is. The gearbox adds a little bit of height to help the clearance.

I flew her last night, but the wind tried to bat her out of the sky again and I brought her down after one turn. Trying to taxi back in the wind was tough going too. It's too easy to forget that water is pretty slippery stuff and it's not like a taxi on asphalt.

I've got 72 flights in her so far (full battery packs, not just take offs) and my experience is that this is a "no wind" plane.