SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:10 PM
Joined Mar 2003
385 Posts
Discussion
Any dog experts out there ?

I need a little help with my 9 year old Lab.I noticed the other day that his claws are rather long.He gets a load of excercise but most of it is field based lately.How do i go about clipping his claws ? If it's a vet only thing then thats fine but if i can do it myself i would like to.Diagrams or explicit instructions would be nice,i would much sooner hurt myself than him.Thanks,Al.
Al Dente is offline Find More Posts by Al Dente
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:20 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,147 Posts
There are special clippers available, but your dog might not be too happy about getting it done.
Don't try to cut too much off at once. Try not to pull or twist the claw as you cut it.
If you ever do cause him any pain he will remember and it will be even harder to get him to co-operate the next time.
http://www.dog-training.com/nailclip.htm
http://www.planet-pets.com/clip_nails.htm
Hope that helps,
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2003
385 Posts
Thanks for that info Pat,just what i needed.Al.
Al Dente is offline Find More Posts by Al Dente
Old Jan 28, 2006, 08:00 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
You can also use a dremel, I think they make one especially for that purpose, and sanding them off leaves them nice and smooth instead of sharp. Of course some dogs would be afraid of the noise.

just the first site I got on dogpile (thought that was the appropriate search engine to use):

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...el/dremel.html
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:20 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Careful! You can cut into blood vessels in the nails. I'd take Doggy to a vet-at least to see how it's done.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:50 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Bench grinder and vise grips. JUST KIDDING. Everyone knows that a blender works fine.

Oh, get a grip, it was just a joke. You guys are tighter than a republican at the million man march. Or a democrate at a Ford plant.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:00 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
Suggesting the vet to see how's it's done is your best bet. You would be suprised how little should be trimmed off before hitting the quick. If you look very close you can see it inside the nail. Have the doc do it first.
rchawks is offline Find More Posts by rchawks
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:41 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
You don't need to go to a vet. Any dog groomer can do it in about 5 minutes, and it won't cost much at all. Maybe $5.00-$10.00
I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if they are long - leave it to someone with experience until you're confident you know what you're doing.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:00 AM
Suspended Account
kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
577 Posts
...and remember that classical conditioning will influence what the dog thinks of the experience.

Since dogs have a instinctive and understandable aversion to having their paws restrained, some really prized doggie treats presented at the same time as the clippers should help.
badaltitude is offline Find More Posts by badaltitude
Old Jan 29, 2006, 09:06 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
N.c.
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2006, 09:50 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,993 Posts
The secret is like the rest of life, moderation. Take a little at a time. They don't like it, but you can tell when it is more than please don't.

I hate doing the cat more than the dog.

And in case you are slow like me and just thought of what the preceeding picture was saying, you coule take you doggie on a 20 mile ride on the highway and the claws would ge gone. Just joking. But a little walk on asphalt everyday would help to keep them down.

Lyle
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:08 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
.....ride on the highway and the claws would ge gone. Just joking. But a little walk on asphalt everyday would help to keep them down. Lyle
Teach your dog to pull you on a bicycle.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2006, 01:15 AM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Actually, the dremel tip is a good one. I've used it on several dogs that were clipper-shy. Or, just use a fairly coarse emery board or file, and go slow.

Of course, that's as long as your pooch doesn't mind you playing with his feet.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Jan 30, 2006, 04:49 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Trim tonails

My yellow lab doesn't like it but every second weekend she gets groomed. Toenails. I tell her to lay down, roll her on her side, trim a little at a time. You do it often enough, you'll gauge by eye. Do your best to prevent pain. A little treat and a bunch of loving afterwards. We fondled her paws since she was a pup so she is used to our attentions. As dogs get older, they just don't get the exercise they used to to keep their nails ground down.

My son-in-law uses a dremel on both his dogs, they are used to it and chore is done quickly.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Last edited by rick.benjamin; Jan 30, 2006 at 04:51 AM. Reason: add another line
Old Jan 30, 2006, 09:07 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
I hate doing the cat more than the dog.

Lyle
You trim the cat's claws? DUUUUUUDE, you are one brave fella! If I tried that on MY cat, I would require major surgery to repair the damage she'd do. PK does NOT like foolishness with her paws! I built her a scratch post, and let her do her claws herself!

Trim her claws? That's worse than trying to wash her.......
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68