SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2006, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
69 Posts
I am not sure what you mean about the video. Some of it is in slow motion but I didn't notice any of it in fast forward. Unless they are misrepresenting its weight and wing area, this plane should fly rather slow (i.e. 400 square inches at 30 to 33 oz.).
Mike Cart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Cart
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2006, 01:11 PM
United States, FL, Moore Haven
Joined Apr 2002
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cart
I am not sure what you mean about the video. Some of it is in slow motion but I didn't notice any of it in fast forward. Unless they are misrepresenting its weight and wing area, this plane should fly rather slow (i.e. 400 square inches at 30 to 33 oz.).

Ok lets look at it this way, I have the Stevens AeroModels Stella it has a wing aera of 350 at 16.5 oz AUW, The extra has only 50square inches more at 2x the weight. So I am thinking it's not going to be a slow flying plane or a floater.
Luv2fly2 is offline Find More Posts by Luv2fly2
Old Feb 01, 2006, 01:36 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,676 Posts
from what i have read and been told, it flies at any speed...if i can figure out a way, i am gonna get one..then we will see...it has to be better than the mini turds..er..i mean the mini-funtanas...
birdie_in_texas is offline Find More Posts by birdie_in_texas
Old Feb 01, 2006, 01:41 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Will it be sold in Europe or more specifically the UK?
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Feb 01, 2006, 01:51 PM
Just south of Cambridge, UK
Joined Oct 2003
982 Posts
Ditchit.....

www.freestyle-rc.com the only place to get them!!!

Ian
Freestyle-rc Display Pilot
edible_engine is offline Find More Posts by edible_engine
Old Feb 01, 2006, 01:59 PM
United States, FL, Moore Haven
Joined Apr 2002
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_in_texas
from what i have read and been told, it flies at any speed...if i can figure out a way, i am gonna get one..then we will see...it has to be better than the mini turds..er..i mean the mini-funtanas...

Yes from what I have read I would agree, but have you every read a bad report on a new plane coming out?
Luv2fly2 is offline Find More Posts by Luv2fly2
Old Feb 01, 2006, 02:04 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
The bird is very similar is size/weight as the SA Edge. The plane will float, and speed up well no doubt. The egde is only slightly larger and some guys fly them close to 40 oz and still light on the wing.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Feb 01, 2006, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fly2
Yes from what I have read I would agree, but have you every read a bad report on a new plane coming out?
The math says:

400 square inches at 33 ounces = a wing loading of 11.88 ounces per square foot. With the large looking fuselage and thick wings to add drag, this plane just cant help but slow down nicely.

Maybe not as slow as the Stella or some foamies but still a nice wing loading for a plane of this size.
Mike Cart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Cart
Old Feb 01, 2006, 04:45 PM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Planes of this size ala the SA Edge don't want to come down. Darn thing will thermal if you want to.

Killer
Old Feb 01, 2006, 08:38 PM
Nick Radle
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,792 Posts
The SA planes are built light to fly like foamies but aren't the most stout things in the world. Trust me, an 11 ounce wingloading for a plane tis size is just about perfect, and that is coming from someone that flies at 6500 feet, where everything is too damn heavy!
As for the fast flight, that was just the pilot. This thing will fly plenty slow.
Bodywerks is online now Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Old Feb 02, 2006, 06:50 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_engine
Ditchit.....

www.freestyle-rc.com the only place to get them!!!

Ian
Freestyle-rc Display Pilot
Dont see it listed...can you tell us what the price will be? Hoping its not the old pounds for dollars routine.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Feb 02, 2006, 01:10 PM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
I am nearer to China ... hehehehe UK planes are usually slightly more expensive than US ... slightly
tIANcI is offline Find More Posts by tIANcI
Old Feb 02, 2006, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
55 Posts
For those of you in the UK/Europe the model will be available here in about 6 weeks.

I have one here which unfortuntely I have yet to fly as my motor mount and cowl were completely destroyed in shipping. I did not get mine in a normal box, it was in fact packaged with another bigger model and despite the whole box being lined with ply they still managed to damage it. Anywayway it is on it's way.

I did weigh mine though with everything including an 1800 Flight Power Lipo and it only cam up to 28Oz. I know Chris's weighed exactly 30 with a TP2100 so that 30-33 will allow for some pretty heavy setups.

We try and beat the old Pound/Dollar rutine as much as possible but with the old Uk taxes it ain't easy.
Freestyle-RC is offline Find More Posts by Freestyle-RC
Old Feb 02, 2006, 05:10 PM
Plane dodger
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Bodywerks, how is it possible to conclude that the SA planes are built light but not stout and fly like a foamie? I have a few SA planes and not one flies like a foamie and all but one has over 75 flights and look almost a good as when I first maiden them. The G480 that I fly did have a nose in from 200ft due to a cc25 cut out issue. Plane suffered very little damage after intial tears and had it fixed with a few hours of work.
The Groove has 400sq and a load of roughly 8oz/sqft, the Edge540 has a 50" wing and 450sqin load of about 10oz/sqft. 50 squares does not make a huge amount of difference in weight or wing size.
Old Feb 03, 2006, 05:25 AM
Nick Radle
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,792 Posts
I was just saying that the SA planes are a different animal altogether. They are a kit that you have to build, for one, and the fuse is a bunch of sticks that you glue together to get a fuselage-looking shape - not nearly as smooth and nice looking as this plane, IMO. Also, part of why they are lighter, too, is because they are not an ARF, and SA will not be held liable for any of the structural integrity of the plane. With ARF's the manufacturer has a reputation to uphold and doesn't want stories of his planes flying apart, therefore weight is sacrificed, slightly, to ensure a more durable setup.
I'm not knocking SA - they are a hometown manufacturer that is literally just down the street for me, but you can't come on here and compare them to this or any other ARF plane, since the ARF market is an entirely different venue than the kit market. Most people in the market for this plane are WAY more willing to spend $170 for this relatively light and very scale looking plane, already built and covered, than they are to spend $130 for a similarly sized box of sticks that they need to build, buy covering, glue, and paint and tools, and building board, etc. Building is a lost art. I even used to build GS planes professionally and use to build pretty nice planes for myself. But given the decent quality of ARF's and the fact that I spend more time flying, less time building, and the only thing I have wrapped up into the plane is money - not my heart and soul, I am a better flyer for it.
Bodywerks is online now Find More Posts by Bodywerks