HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:21 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Discussion
Indoor Pylon Racing - The I-180

A few of us got a little tired of making left hand turns aimlessly here in Edmonton over our long winter indoor flying season, so we decided what we really needed was purpose. And what nobler purpose can there be than racing?

Myself and Paco1001 set about to design an indoor racer that wouldn't be too fast as to be uncontrollable in the confines of the old hanger we fly in, wouldn't be too heavy so as to minimize potential for injury and be durable and cheap enough to attract a crowd of racers. We call the result I-180's for "Indoor 180" (Thanks Pete!)

We settled on what is essentially a miniature Q-500 with an EPP fuse and depron wings and tail feathers. We originally planned on using Johnson 250's but our prototypes showed that the motor was not robust enough to survive the amp draw we needed and the frequent collisions with the floor, pylons etc.

The plane is very simple and consists of a EPP foam fuselage 20" long and
1-1/2" square at the nose. Next year will will likely also modify the fuse somewhat and make the front 2" square to make the fuse a bit more robust once the EPP has been hogged out to hold the motor. Right now a bit of clear duct tape over the fuse seems to help for the time being for those of us less proficient pilots.

The wing was to have a minimum of 24" span and a minimum of 180 sq. inches. The wing must be made of a piece of 6mm Depron and be of flat plate section. Tail surfaces are 3mm Depron. We wanted to have a 24" span since that was the width of a sheet of depron but a bit of experimentation showed a slightly longer 28" wing produced a far superior airplane. We are using a single strip of carbon fibre bar along the LE, usually just taped there with packing tape to form a spar and prevent damage should wing meet roof, rafter, etc.

The little planes are now powered by 12 turn GoBrushless motors, 4.75x4.75 props and 2 cell lithiums which give enough speed without being stupid. Our pylons are caution tape that we throw up over the rafters giving us an oval to fly, not the usual triangular course. We also fly from the sidelines rather than in the middle since things get a little tight. No callers required and we don't have timers but we have lap counters who all seem to be able to count to 10 accurately and, in my case, anywhere from 3 to 11. We set the weight limit at 7.0 oz which means you are pretty much limited to a smaller lithium battery. Radio gear is held in with hot glue after cutting out some nice custom holes in the wing and fuse.

We are having a ton of fun and each race only takes a couple of minutes. The little planes fly incredibly well and are great outdoors as well. (They fly really well upside down... ) At race time, we run out, throw the "pylons" over the rafters, throttle up and away we go. After the race we yank down the "pylons" and take a few minutes to wipe the grins off our faces. It's proving to be a ton 'o fun. Safety glasses are recommended.

Jack
Action Jack is offline Find More Posts by Action Jack
Last edited by Action Jack; Jan 27, 2006 at 05:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:28 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Here's what happens when you can't wait for a guy to take down the pylon at the end of the race!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:47 PM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
Looks like fun Start a beginers class running stock GWS Pico stick on 2 cell lipos They come in 2 colors Outdoors we've raced stock GWS Beavers. Lots o fun
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:05 PM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Feb 2002
261 Posts
The only problem racing GWS picco sticks and picco moths is they have too many breakable parts for racing indoors.

These plane have taken numerous hits and keep on asking for more.
Paco1001 is offline Find More Posts by Paco1001
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:46 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
I forgot to mention that the wing is held on to the fuse with 1/4" Lee Valley rare earth magnets. That allows the wing to depart the fuse easily without damage.

Grouchy, I have to say we considered Pico Sticks, Moths and the like but if you could see how much abuse we have heaped on these little planes you would be amazed at how tough they are.

Jack
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Feb 2002
261 Posts
I thought there would be a bit more interest on this thread.
Paco1001 is offline Find More Posts by Paco1001
Old Jan 28, 2006, 08:56 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Plans????
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old Jan 28, 2006, 09:27 PM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
For a lot of people, the lack of indoor flying venues limits interest I'd love to try racing and 3Ding indoors, but there's nowhere here to do it
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Jan 29, 2006, 04:56 AM
Joined Nov 2005
250 Posts
i want to do a pylon indoor race of my own as a club but i want to do one on a smaller scale such as mini GeeBee's and Shoestring's planes like that use stuff like plantraco with a preset motor and gear limit. But if I had some cash on me right now id work making my own plane like yalls.
Darkdevil_725 is offline Find More Posts by Darkdevil_725
Old Jan 29, 2006, 08:51 AM
Frozen Polarbear
Alta, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdevil_725
i want to do a pylon indoor race of my own as a club but i want to do one on a smaller scale such as mini GeeBee's and Shoestring's planes like that use stuff like plantraco with a preset motor and gear limit. But if I had some cash on me right now id work making my own plane like yalls.
Here in Norway there were held a Pylonrace with rules adopted from Holland.
Rules:
- only GWS edp 50 dd with 2X3 prop (or the GWS CN12-RXC motor, they are the same)
- Max span of 500 mm
- Max weight of 100 grams
- max 2 cell Li-Po (no mAh limit)

I did not race since the race was over 2000 km from me... But I will try to make my buddies make theese planes. I already have a Toonracer (span is 520 mm, but do not tell anybody ) and are planning on making a Laird Turner Meteor PylonRacer. Planes have 3 channels A/E/T.

Hope this will race the interest for indoor planes here in Norway!

Cheers
Tore, Norway
purple is offline Find More Posts by purple
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:28 AM
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2005
354 Posts
Do i see a butterfly case or is it me?
vener is offline Find More Posts by vener
Old Feb 03, 2006, 01:32 AM
Dan Ulledahl Team Hitec
KANSAS CITY MO
Joined Jan 2006
51 Posts
we are getting for...

The Third Annual
Mid-America Indoor Fun-Fly
March 18th and 19th, 2006
BTC Exhibit Hall
1775 Universal Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64120

Pylon Race will be ran on a 75 foot, 2 pylon course. 10 laps Models are restricted to IPS-A Drive power and 7.2 volt battery (6 cell nicad/nimh, 2s lipo). Models must have conventional airframe, ie: wing, tail, and fuse. Marshalls will be used at each turn, and at the Start/Finish line. Plaque’s will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, with a prize for 1st.
dmucop1 is offline Find More Posts by dmucop1
Old Feb 03, 2006, 01:37 AM
Dan Ulledahl Team Hitec
KANSAS CITY MO
Joined Jan 2006
51 Posts
I just got to street racers from but the seem to want to fall out of the air...

http://nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3551

http://nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3552

They came in at 6 and 7 oz somyhings not right!!
dmucop1 is offline Find More Posts by dmucop1
Old Feb 04, 2006, 04:45 AM
Wirral. U.K
Joined Sep 2005
101 Posts
Morning guys.
I happened upon this thread when looking for another one and thought I'd show you my effort for an indoor racer.
I haven't maiden tested it yet due to not having an indoor venue and the weather is to rough outdoors.
The Story is that I had this micro RC gear waiting on the sidelines to go into a 16" span guillows and one saturday I just decided to scatch build what you see below out of 2mm depron that i had lying about and CF rods/strip. It is 3 channel "Bank and Yank" with an all moving tailplane. Power is a 145mah LiPo and Falcon geared motor (PU01).
All up flying weight is 40g with a 1:1 power to weight ratio.
Wing span is 15"
Length is 12"
-----Stu----- is offline Find More Posts by -----Stu-----
Last edited by -----Stu-----; Feb 14, 2006 at 11:33 AM. Reason: stated 3mm depron when in fact it was 2mm
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:35 PM
Kansas City Downtown, Missouri, United States
Joined Nov 2003
277 Posts
do you have any plans?
swatpilot is offline Find More Posts by swatpilot